Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2010, 06:19 PM

2,189 posts, read 7,078,427 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
A SICK teenager who pleaded with doctors to keep her in hospital died three days after being sent home with just a few *paracetamol, it emerged yesterday.

Amy Carter, 15, told doctors “I’m dying” only to be told by medics that she would be fine and told to take “plenty of rest”.

Express.co.uk - Home of the Daily and Sunday Express | UK News :: Girl sent home to rest by doctors dies 3 days later

The headline is misleading and should be corrected.

The girls was sent home but was re-admitted three days later and then died that afternoon in the hospital.

"Amy was discharged from the hospital on December 21 last year to the family home in nearby Stourport-on-Severn On Christmas Eve her condition *worsened and she was re-admitted to *hospital, but died later that day. A post-mortem examination revealed she died from glandular fever and *streptococcal toxic shock syndrome."

busta
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2010, 07:52 PM

44,252 posts, read 64,690,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by domergurl View Post
Diagnosis
The early symptoms of TSS may resemble those of severe allergic drug reactions or other illnesses. Lacking any other explanation, a doctor will suspect TSS in certain patients, such as women who use vaginal methods of birth control (for example, a diaphragm) or anyone who has recently had an operation. A blood test can confirm the diagnosis.

Read more: Toxic Shock Syndrome - What Is Going On?, What Is Toxic Shock?, How Does a Person Get Toxic Shock?, Signs and Symptoms, Diagnosis

You're welcome
Wow. You still haven't told us which blood test.

If you're talking about blood cultures (which I don't think you are), those take days to come back. Doesn't help you in the here and now.

Moderator cut: Personal attack

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 07-24-2010 at 09:22 PM..

Old 07-24-2010, 08:52 PM

4,049 posts, read 2,755,446 times
This is not a socialized health-care issue. Unfortunately this kind of thing can happen and it has nothing to do with health-care or illegals using emergency rooms or Obama.

Sometimes the symptoms one has at the time are not enough to form a complete diagnosis.

This was just an unfortunate tragedy. I feel bad for her parents, I can't imagine losing my child.

Old 07-24-2010, 10:02 PM

12,669 posts, read 20,514,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
A SICK teenager who pleaded with doctors to keep her in hospital died three days after being sent home with just a few *paracetamol, it emerged yesterday.

Amy Carter, 15, told doctors “I’m dying” only to be told by medics that she would be fine and told to take “plenty of rest”.

Express.co.uk - Home of the Daily and Sunday Express | UK News :: Girl sent home to rest by doctors dies 3 days later
Wow! this Ass of a Dr actually said this on record!
Dr Andrew Short, the hospital’s clinical director, said Amy’s condition was “unique” and nothing could have saved her.

See I disagree with Dr. Shorts comment if they had thought out of their simple box they would have done more for this girl than they had! I do hope that the family sues the pants off all of them involved!

Symptoms
  • Confusion
  • Diarrhea
  • General ill-feeling
  • Headaches
  • High fever, sometimes accompanied by chills
  • Low blood pressure
  • Muscle aches
  • Nausea and vomiting
  • Organ failure (usually kidneys and liver)
  • Redness of eyes, mouth, throat
  • Seizures
  • Widespread red rash that looks like a sunburn -- skin peeling occurs 1 or 2 weeks after the rash, particularly on the palms of the hand or bottom of the feet.
https://health.google.com/health/ref...shock+syndrome

Toxic Shock Syndrome Causes, Symptoms, Treatment - Toxic Shock Syndrome Symptoms on eMedicineHealth

Old 07-24-2010, 10:04 PM

12,669 posts, read 20,514,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sindey View Post
This is not a socialized health-care issue. Unfortunately this kind of thing can happen and it has nothing to do with health-care or illegals using emergency rooms or Obama.

Sometimes the symptoms one has at the time are not enough to form a complete diagnosis.

This was just an unfortunate tragedy. I feel bad for her parents, I can't imagine losing my child.
The UK falls under Canada's healthcare system I do believe.

Old 07-25-2010, 12:59 AM

16,828 posts, read 15,269,114 times
goverment health care has always failed, and always will.

Old 07-25-2010, 09:38 AM

17,765 posts, read 39,886,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Wow. You still haven't told us which blood test.

If you're talking about blood cultures (which I don't think you are), those take days to come back. Doesn't help you in the here and now.

Moderator cut: Personal attack
and you're obviously too lazy to look for yourself.

Old 07-25-2010, 09:40 AM

17,765 posts, read 39,886,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by subsound View Post
From your link it does say a blood test can confirm the diagnosis, in conjunction with the other symptoms with unexplained origin. Without any allergic reaction symptoms, vomiting, a high fever (above 102), diarrhea, and muscle aches a blood test is inconclusive by itself. Even the later symptoms weren't visible; that was peeling of the skin on the torso, face, hands, and feet along with low blood pressure. Till she hit the last symptoms of heart and multiple organ failure.

Considering she had no other symptoms but feeling like death, is that really a good diagnosis?
a lot of medicine is ruling out possibilities. A blood test/cultures, whatever, can rule out TSS.

Old 07-25-2010, 09:53 AM

7,083 posts, read 12,102,508 times
Quote:
a lot of medicine is ruling out possibilities. A blood test/cultures, whatever, can rule out TSS.
In addition to meeting CDC criteria for toxic shock syndrome and STSS, other diagnostic tests may include:

blood cultures
blood tests
urine tests

Toxic shock syndrome. DermNet NZ

From your own link and from the CDC criteria a blood test can confirm with other symptoms present. Just doing the test alone will not rule it out.

This is about the third time this has been said.

Last edited by subsound; 07-25-2010 at 10:15 AM..

Old 07-25-2010, 11:57 AM

44,252 posts, read 64,690,576 times
Quote:
Lol...this is too much.

By the time a blood culture comes back, it's too late or you're really going to be behind the 8 ball. THERE IS NO BLOOD TEST FOR TSS.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies