Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-19-2010, 11:26 AM

372 posts, read 220,951 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
The liberals hate individualism... they will hate this... they hate religion although they will try to make "god" a christianity thing even though there is a god among some agnostics, the Jewish faith, Islam, Buddha (ironic), Hindu, etc etc... its not forcing religion, merely saying a word is not an attempt to brainwash someone...
the liberals hate everything good, uplifting, positive etc., In other words, they hate anything and everything that contributes or tends to contribute to individual success and self-reliance. They like quite little helpless "subjects", not competent, capable citizens. Too easy to fool the former and hard to fool and/or control the latter.
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2010, 11:31 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,273,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by navyapproved View Post
the liberals hate everything good, uplifting, positive etc., In other words, they hate anything and everything that contributes or tends to contribute to individual success and self-reliance. They like quite little helpless "subjects", not competent, capable citizens. Too easy to fool the former and hard to fool and/or control the latter.
Yep, that's us.
Whatever.

Old 07-19-2010, 11:42 AM

46,941 posts, read 25,969,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by navyapproved View Post
Somebody please, please explain how rote memorization and recital of a loyalty pledge - in a group, and led by an authority figure, no less - is in any way, shape or form linked to "individual success", let alone "self-reliance"? The entire ritual rewards those who conform and obey authority and singles out those who stray from the government-approved groupthink.

As I may have posted previously, I first learned of teacher-led loyalty oaths in schools when watching a documentary on life in the Soviet Union.

Old 07-19-2010, 11:45 AM

787 posts, read 1,942,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by [B
navyapproved;[/b]15104392]the liberals hate everything good, uplifting, positive etc., In other words, they hate anything and everything that contributes or tends to contribute to individual success and self-reliance. They like quite little helpless "subjects", not competent, capable citizens. Too easy to fool the former and hard to fool and/or control the latter.

Wow...what absolute garbage! You really believe that kind of B.S.?

Are you in the Navy? If you are...you are a disgrace to the U.S. military.

My cousin did a tour of duty in Iraq in 2007. He is a Republican. I am a Democrat. We have plenty of political disagreements. That said, I have IMMENSE respect for him. He is very smart, compassionate, and a great patriot. He would never spew the kind of hatred and nonsense that I see you post on a regular basis.

Last edited by SoCal35; 07-19-2010 at 12:30 PM..

Old 07-19-2010, 12:22 PM

7,871 posts, read 10,127,642 times
All children should be made to stand and pledge their alliegance to the Dear Leader every morning.

//oh wait, this isn't North Korea?

Old 07-19-2010, 12:41 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,257,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvande55 View Post
Good speech. I can't believe, though, how people will politicize it. Conservatives say it proves Republicanism, liberals that "Liberty and justice for all" is what they stand for. I remember in school we were supposed to pledge allegiance even if the flag was not there. (Simon Garfunkel alluded to "pledge allegiance to the wall." in the song "My little town.")
I was never in a class room, as a student, or as a teacher, that didn't have a small American flag hanging in one corner, usually at the front of the room. I never said that pledge without that flag being there and would make sure it was if it, for any reason wasn't.

I was amazed when at a college basketball game the pledge was recited by the crowd before the game and I heard the words "under God" recited. That was in 1957 and I was recently our of the Army and didn't know that during the time I was in the Army they had been inserted. Back then I was one of the most liberal people I knew of but those words didn't bother me because I didn't think about them politically.

Yes, most of you people weren't around back then but I have not been able to see the reason for not liking them other than purely political. I see you who have tried to answer evilnewbie here as libs who just want to do just that to avoid anything that could be Christian.

Old 07-19-2010, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
Somebody please, please explain how rote memorization and recital of a loyalty pledge - in a group, and led by an authority figure, no less - is in any way, shape or form linked to "individual success", let alone "self-reliance"? The entire ritual rewards those who conform and obey authority and singles out those who stray from the government-approved groupthink.

As I may have posted previously, I first learned of teacher-led loyalty oaths in schools when watching a documentary on life in the Soviet Union.
During the 1999 - 2000 school year, my son, a senior, led the Pledge each day on classroom intercoms for the whole school. Afterward he always read the menu for the school lunch. That worked very well because he sometimes ad libbed on the meal part by throwing in some cute things like "smothered snake" instead of smothered steak. Kids listened to him very carefully all the way through, but I don't think there were any children of atheists, or other anti-religion parents. Also, his voice lent itself to all those things very well and for that he was selected by those authority figures you talk about.

How many children would know about how bad those two words make the Pledge of Allegiance if it weren't for adults who tell them about it? Surely there is some inbred thing that would make them realize how bad they are.

Old 07-19-2010, 01:05 PM

7,871 posts, read 10,127,642 times
So in the muddled thinking of the Religious Right, anyone that thinks the government should stay religiously neutral hates Jesus?

Eh?

Old 07-19-2010, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal35 View Post
Wow...what absolute garbage! You really believe that kind of B.S.?

Are you in the Navy? If you are...you are a disgrace to the U.S. military.

My cousin did a tour of duty in Iraq in 2007. He is a Republican. I am a Democrat. We have plenty of political disagreements. That said, I have IMMENSE respect for him. He is very smart, compassionate, and a great patriot. He would never spew the kind of hatred and nonsense that I see you post on a regular basis.
Is there a chance that you are talking about two separate people and comparing them because you think one is much different than the other. I didn't see you say anything about what your cousin thinks about the Pledge of Allegiance. Is there a chance that not all Republicans are acceptant of those two words in the Pledge and that your cousin might be one of those?

Old 07-19-2010, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkfarnam View Post
THIS IS AWESOME!!
Red Skelton--from his television show in 1969.
Just think, he said this on his television show in 1969 and really had no clue it would ever come about. SAD, isn't it?

Some of you may remember this,
"Red Skelton's Pledge of Allegiance"

Red Skelton's Pledge of Allegiance | Put Christ Back Into Schools | Causes
Great post. It is too bad that mostly liberals have entered the thread and had to attack evilnewbie and ignore the very thing the thread is about. I wonder how popular Skelton would be these days since he never used foul language, or involved pure sex in his comedy. I am sure he could never be seen on Comedy Central because of the way he talked and the possibility that his lack of foul language just wouldn't be funny to our present population.

I am sure that if any of these people had seen that one from Skelton they would have stopped watching him altogether.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies