Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2010, 05:52 AM

19,784 posts, read 15,154,956 times

Advertisements

Mark Williams, Conservative talk show host and leader of the Corporate-owned Tea Party express wrote an open letter to Lincoln on behalf of the "coloreds."

If the Tea Party wishes to be a legitimate power in this country, the leaders need to come out and condemn this kind of crap. Though all of the Tea Party members are not racist, there is a very vocal racist fringe that has attached itself to them. Remaining silent on this kind of thing only legitimizes that fringe.

Click on the link for the full text of the letter.

“Tea partier” Mark Williams writes ‘letter to Abe Lincoln’ … from the ‘coloreds’ : The Reid Report

Dear Mr. Lincoln

"We Coloreds have taken a vote and decided that we don’t cotton to that whole emancipation thing. Freedom means having to work for real, think for ourselves, and take consequences along with the rewards. That is just far too much to ask of us Colored People and we demand that it stop!

In fact we held a big meeting and took a vote in Kansas City this week. We voted to condemn a political revival of that old abolitionist spirit called the ‘tea party movement’."

..It gets better:

"And the ridiculous idea of “reduce[ing] the size and intrusiveness of government.” What kind of massa would ever not want to control my life? As Coloreds we must have somebody care for us otherwise we would be on our own, have to think for ourselves and make decisions!"

Why anybody in their right mind would even consider publishing this kind of garbage is way beyond me. It boggles the mind how any thinking person could fathom that this type of obvious racism would be embraced by anyone, whatever political ideology they ascribe to.

The NAACP has been around for 101 years, and they have had one hell of a fight on their hands. Sarah Palin says they've outlived their usefulness. Well, Sarah, this letter shows just how far we still have to go.

Last edited by carterstamp; 07-16-2010 at 06:00 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2010, 07:41 AM

37,963 posts, read 17,949,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carterstamp View Post
The NAACP has been around for 101 years, and they have had one hell of a fight on their hands. Sarah Palin says they've outlived their usefulness. Well, Sarah, this letter shows just how far we still have to go.
because of one letter?????????

He should have written a letter about the loss of states rights and how it led to over 600000 killed instead.

Old 07-16-2010, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
because of one letter?????????

He should have written a letter about the loss of states rights and how it led to over 600000 killed instead.

No, because of the attitude and mindset behind the one letter.

And, FYI, the abolishment of slavery was a Human Rights issue, and that trumps states rights.

Old 07-16-2010, 08:14 AM

Quote:
No, because of the attitude and mindset behind the one letter.
You didn't say anything different you just tried to put a spin on it.
Like I said, because of one letter?

Quote:
And, FYI, the abolishment of slavery was a Human Rights issue, and that trumps states rights.
By Human Rights issue do you mean moral issue?

Old 07-16-2010, 08:19 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,687,201 times
Quote:
Why anybody in their right mind would even consider publishing this kind of garbage is way beyond me.
They had two reasons: one, to deliberately inflame and provoke. And two, because they think they're "clever."

Old 07-16-2010, 08:24 AM

Quote:
You didn't say anything different you just tried to put a spin on it.
Like I said, because of one letter?

By Human Rights issue do you mean moral issue?

Slavery is a human rights issue. No human should own another.

The south didn't want to lose cheap labor. Most of the Confederate soldiers didn't even own slaves, but they rallied under the "States rights" cause.

Old 07-16-2010, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
They had two reasons: one, to deliberately inflame and provoke. And two, because they think they're "clever."

Less "clever" more pathetic. And definitely ignorant.

What a neanderthal (and that's an insult to neanderthals.)

Old 07-16-2010, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Slavery is a human rights issue. No human should own another.
I agree I still dont get how kidnapping was legal. No one should profit from an illegal act.

Quote:
The south didn't want to lose cheap labor. Most of the Confederate soldiers didn't even own slaves, but they rallied under the "States rights" cause.
Yea, "no Yankee is gonna tell us what to do". It was a states rights issue imo.

I asked the question about being a moral issue since I believe government cannot be moral. We've seen that many times.

Old 07-16-2010, 08:56 AM

Quote:
I agree I still dont get how kidnapping was legal. No one should profit from an illegal act.

The mindset that slaves were somehow "less than" their masters had something to do with it. If you don't regard Blacks as human, or consider them to be inferior, then it's not considered kidnapping.

Yea, "no Yankee is gonna tell us what to do". It was a states rights issue imo.

The plantation owners didn't want to lose their cheap labor, and they turned self-interest into a states-rights issue.

I asked the question about being a moral issue since I believe government cannot be moral. We've seen that many times.

The argument has been made that if the government had left the south alone, slavery would have died on its own, and the civil war wouldn't have been necessary. But when something is an affront to basic human rights--should it be allowed to continue?
Maybe it would have been simpler if the founding fathers had added the language that included Black men in the Constitution, but they would have never gotten it ratified.

Old 07-16-2010, 09:04 AM

14,044 posts, read 27,282,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
Yeah, unfortunately I think you're right. This is the kind of stuff that makes many folks take another look at those supporters, and to some degree question the motives.

Overall, I don't think it is a major big deal, but I suspect it makes enough of the swing voters put some space between them and the folks who could write stuff like this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies