Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2010, 11:49 AM

11,765 posts, read 14,771,594 times

Advertisements

Can you imagine? Even after they stand up for "colored folk" like this there are still people who will claim there is racism in the Tea Party.

Some people are just never satisfied.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2010, 11:59 AM

3,860 posts, read 8,485,866 times
As much as they like to deny it, many people in the tea party feel the same way as Williams.

I'll give them credit for showing their true colors though.

Old 07-16-2010, 12:00 PM

1,677 posts, read 1,676,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carterstamp View Post
Then if he believes the term "colored" is racist, why use it?
I guess you'd have to ask him, but I suspect it was to prove his point which you are doing. You are essentially saying it's racist.

As another poster pointed out - irony.

Old 07-16-2010, 12:04 PM

19,784 posts, read 15,213,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarlet_ohara View Post
I guess you'd have to ask him, but I suspect it was to prove his point which you are doing. You are essentially saying it's racist.

As another poster pointed out - irony.

It's not just the word "colored" in the "letter" it's the theme.

No, not irony. I'm calling the guy out.

Old 07-16-2010, 12:06 PM

37,961 posts, read 18,057,650 times
I don't get it. Since the letter is addressed to Lincolns era and the word used then was colored, why is he being racist?

Old 07-16-2010, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
I don't get it. Since the letter is addressed to Lincolns era and the word used then was colored, why is he being racist?

Did you read the letter?

Old 07-16-2010, 12:10 PM

8,145 posts, read 6,571,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yayoi View Post
As much as they like to deny it, many people in the tea party feel the same way as Williams.

I'll give them credit for showing their true colors though.
I don't want them to deny it. I want them to show their true colors. I get angrier at a tea party member holding up a witch doctor or obammy sign of Obama than I do a kkk leader holding up a sign that says I hate &*(($%. At least the kkk guy want be my boss and I not know how he feels. The tea party group of closet racist are far worse then the kkk. At least everyone knows where they stand with those idiots.

Old 07-16-2010, 12:12 PM

8,145 posts, read 6,571,012 times
Quote:
Yep, I knew it wouldn't be long. If you cant see how this letter is full of hatred of black people you must hate blacks yourself period.

Old 07-16-2010, 12:26 PM

37,961 posts, read 18,057,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carterstamp View Post
Did you read the letter?
Yep and the follow up letter that explains it.

"A personal note from Mark Williams:

I learned this morning that Ben Jealous, author of the NAACP anti-tea party (http://www.marktalk.com/blog - broken link) resolution has offered something of an olive branch and wants to open discussions with tea partiers regarding dialing down the unproductive shots going back and forth. After being told of Mr. Jealous’ offer I contacted his office via email and provided him with all of my contact information, including my private telephone number in order to speak man to man with him and find common ground for progress.

Following what I believe to be a sincere move by Mr. Jealous I recognize that I have a responsibility to act in kind (just as I did in response to the NAACP’s anti-tea party resolution and what was said about us) and that the continued controversy over this post can only dectract from the discussions. Furthermore, I applaud Mr. Jealous and welcome his willingness to help move us past talking points and personalities. This nation has real problems and we are in real danger. That is no time for Mark Williams and Ben Jealous to get into a battle of egos and personalities."

the rest is here Letter to Lincoln « MarkTalk.com News & Commentary (http://www.marktalk.com/blog/?p=10387 - broken link)

Old 07-16-2010, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Yep and the follow up letter that explains it.

"A personal note from Mark Williams:

I learned this morning that Ben Jealous, author of the NAACP anti-tea party (http://www.marktalk.com/blog - broken link) resolution has offered something of an olive branch and wants to open discussions with tea partiers regarding dialing down the unproductive shots going back and forth. After being told of Mr. Jealous’ offer I contacted his office via email and provided him with all of my contact information, including my private telephone number in order to speak man to man with him and find common ground for progress.

Following what I believe to be a sincere move by Mr. Jealous I recognize that I have a responsibility to act in kind (just as I did in response to the NAACP’s anti-tea party resolution and what was said about us) and that the continued controversy over this post can only dectract from the discussions. Furthermore, I applaud Mr. Jealous and welcome his willingness to help move us past talking points and personalities. This nation has real problems and we are in real danger. That is no time for Mark Williams and Ben Jealous to get into a battle of egos and personalities."

the rest is here Letter to Lincoln « MarkTalk.com News & Commentary (http://www.marktalk.com/blog/?p=10387 - broken link)

What a completely lame apology.

Oh wait..the words "I apologize" are never mentioned.

..And the last paragraph of this nonsense speaks for itself. The guy is a pompous ass.

I would suggest to those offended by the term “Colored People” (the phrase that made my article so controversial) please contact the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People and join me in calling for an end to their use of the racial slur and that Mr. Jealous take me up on my offer to travel with me on the next Tea Party Express so that he may meet all of you in person.

Really? The NAACP uses the word "Colored" because 101 years ago when they were founded, "colored" was the word used for Black people.

And this pinhead doesn't get it that people didn't only object to the word colored..It was the several times he mentioned the "coloreds" would rather not work, the word Massa, among other fecal matter in this pile of steaming crap.

And this...

Now that Mr. Jealous and others realize their error and seek to mend fences it becomes my job to not offend rational people who disagree with me on the relevant issues while not sacrificing the truth.

Oh, so THEY made the error?! Brass Cojones. The Tea Party needs to distance themselves from this guy, fast.

Last edited by carterstamp; 07-16-2010 at 02:29 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies