Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2010, 01:59 PM

5,261 posts, read 7,669,276 times

Advertisements

Scroll down a tad, and read the article, "Where is the oil spill?"

Where is the Oil Spill?

then...please read this article...information about the BP oil well that you may have not heard yet...

petroleumworld

...very interesting.

It doesn't look good folks...never did...but especially even now, after learning this....(sigh...)...will it ever stop?...can it ever be stopped...?...I'm not so sure...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2010, 03:40 PM

8,560 posts, read 11,227,845 times
So the old industry is oil & gas, exploration & production under the practice of capitalism. The new jobs are government jobs, coast and offshore cleanup and recovery under the auspices of the EPA.
Quote:
More than a year ago, geologists criticized Transocean for putting their exploratory rig directly over a massive underground reservoir of methane

Petroleumworld News 06/20/10
So the government knew more than a year ago that BP and Transocean were treading in dangerous territory.

Old 07-04-2010, 03:41 PM

2,847 posts, read 2,523,689 times
an option?

Russian paper suggests ‘nuclear explosion’ could cap gulf oil geyser | Raw Story

Old 07-04-2010, 03:57 PM

8,560 posts, read 11,227,845 times
Any option should be considered and ramifications weighed heavily. From the articles the OP attached it sounds like the actual location of the failed well head might be in a precipitous location that even with a control nuclear explosion could create more havoc than expected.

Old 07-04-2010, 04:00 PM

4,410 posts, read 6,144,295 times
I intuited from the beginning that this event would be far more sinister than we could imagine. This is an economy and country destroying event. It could lead to war, to the death of the oceans, and to our own demise. It should be a profound lesson for mankind on how to respect the planet.

Old 07-04-2010, 04:16 PM

8,624 posts, read 9,100,077 times
They are always going to drill for oil, here or elsewhere. Blame it on the environmentalist that forced them to drill in deep water where we have less control, they have less control and the ability to stop a leak.

Old 07-04-2010, 04:35 PM

2,673 posts, read 3,253,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofurkey View Post
So the government knew more than a year ago that BP and Transocean were treading in dangerous territory.
All offshore rigs are dangerous.

With the history of BP's honesty then I'd be more likely to believe that BP kept much of their knowledge from anyone who may have questioned them. Anyway, could the government have stopped them? OH God! Why that would be like communism or something, wouldn't it?

I find it ironic how people find every way possible to lay blame on the government when their worship of capitalism, corporations and the God of all Gods, 'Free Market" goes awry.

As I said from week one of this disaster, "The Gulf has been killed." All the right wingers called me chicken little.

Quote:
So the government knew more than a year ago that BP and Transocean were treading in dangerous territory
Just curious, but have you been also been griping about the moritorium on deepwater drilling?

Last edited by Ecovlke; 07-04-2010 at 05:37 PM..

Old 07-04-2010, 04:40 PM

1,653 posts, read 1,172,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcsldcd View Post
They are always going to drill for oil, here or elsewhere. Blame it on the environmentalist that forced them to drill in deep water where we have less control, they have less control and the ability to stop a leak.
I'm sorry could you tell me at what depth you have control?

Old 07-04-2010, 05:07 PM

9,855 posts, read 10,426,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcsldcd View Post
So true. There is oil less than one mile deep but noooooooooooo can't drill there.

Old 07-04-2010, 05:10 PM

8,624 posts, read 9,100,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimw144 View Post
I'm sorry could you tell me at what depth you have control?

WE as in our government, our citizens that could assist quickly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies