Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2007, 07:05 PM

467 posts, read 324,723 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprinter View Post
Carter was the worst president and is the worst former president.
Can you quantify that statement Sprinter? Can you list the ways in which Carter was worse than Bush?

Old 06-24-2007, 07:06 PM

9,888 posts, read 10,818,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toninole View Post
On another point Silas: I clicked on your link and found it odd that before I even began reading it the words "Crazier still, Carter...". I'm sorry, but I find it a little difficult to take seriously an article written by a "journalist" (and I use that loosely) that refers to their subject as "crazy" when that person happens to be a former Naval Academy graduate, Nuclear Engineer, Submarine Officer, Governor, and President. Not to mention the man who loads of countries turn to in their times of crisis.

Forgive me for not giving your source the respect you seem to think it is due, but I will not be reading anything of that ilk. Maybe you can find a rational source.
I would suggest you just put me on your ignore list and then you and saggy and your like minded freinds can all just sit around and enjoy blowin smoke, although sag really needs to cut back on the hooch while he is formulating his thesis! Jimmy Carter disturbed by negative reaction to Hamas coup

Old 06-24-2007, 07:07 PM

345 posts, read 203,430 times
Personal responsibility is not holding out your hand. It is getting off your butt and taking care of yourself and others you have sworn responsibility to. What is it that you don't get about the notion that if you make yourself strong not only are you in a position to take care of yourself and your loved ones but you are in a position to help others as well. I can count many things I have doen to help my fellow Americans that involved the sacrifice of sweat not just passing the plate. I've never asked for a blue ribbon, a quiet thank you is much more gratifying. Sir, you're entire arguement can easily be turned on yourself.
Sorry Spunky.
That Carter thing of 18-22% interest rate and lines for gas or no gas, sticks in my mind versus say the highest rate of employment and most robust economy in my memory. I did love the fireside chats though...made me all gooshy and sorta liberal inside. There is a start for stay on topic!

Old 06-24-2007, 07:11 PM

That's a hoot!

Old 06-24-2007, 07:14 PM

68,327 posts, read 54,350,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silas777 View Post
Burdell, cmon what exactly are you trying to prove? when was the last time you heard of a christian beheading anyone? How can you honestly compare christians saying you wil go to hell if you are not saved ,to muslims actually killing people in the name of their religion, cmon man I know you are not that whacked!

Do you really believe that all Muslims are hell bent on killiong in the name of their rekigion? I don't. I didn't think you were that whacked either. And you can't put old resentments aside just because they're old, you ask when Christians killed in the name of their religion? In many cultures 500 years or so isn't a long time, ever hear of the Crusades? Or the Salem Witch Trials? The Spanish Inquisition? Do you think they should be ignored? Many, many atrocities have been commited in the name of many, many different gods.

And do you really believe execution by electric chair was ever somehow more humane than beheading? Ever hear of old sparky? And remember, the guillotine was developed specifically with the intent of being a more humane form of execution. And like it or not, and Im not condoning it but beheading is a cultural thing. Some people think us barbaric because we eat cows and personally I've received no cosmic guidance to tell me if that's really bad or not.

And in all seriousness I see little difference in a Christian telling me I'm doomed unless I follow his God or a Muslim telling me I'm doomed unless I follow his God. Where is the difference?

Old 06-24-2007, 07:16 PM

19,198 posts, read 31,464,947 times
Quote:
Liberals, say please take my wages and in return I will accept the meager, lowly existense you will provide in return.
No, actually they don't. They say let's work together to find and do what works and what's right for ourselves, for our community, for our society, and (increasingly) for our planet. Your response? Not interested in anything after that first part.

Quote:
Conservatives, say take an equal amount from everyone that is required to perform the basic services and provide for the defense of the nation, then get out of our lives and out of our way and let us succeed or fail on our own.
No, they don't say that at all. They say shift tax burden onto someone other than us. And the last is just another appeal to good old social darwinism. I'm sure we can all remove our hats and pledge allegiance to that one.

Quote:
Surely Saggy someone who fancys himself to be as brilliant as your namesake, would not deny that the government is not the most efficient or effective vehicle for one to exercise his individual responsibilitys!
I don't fancy myself to be as brilliant as anyone but me, but even at that level, it's impossible to decipher what you are talking about in that last bit. These are just words meaninglessly strung together. Maybe you could give that a second shot.

Old 06-24-2007, 07:17 PM

2,970 posts, read 2,257,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toninole View Post
On another point Silas: I clicked on your link and found it odd that before I even began reading it the words "Crazier still, Carter...". I'm sorry, but I find it a little difficult to take seriously an article written by a "journalist" (and I use that loosely) that refers to their subject as "crazy" when that person happens to be a former Naval Academy graduate, Nuclear Engineer, Submarine Officer, Governor, and President. Not to mention the man who loads of countries turn to in their times of crisis.

Forgive me for not giving your source the respect you seem to think it is due, but I will not be reading anything of that ilk. Maybe you can find a rational source.
Toninole you misread or misunderstood the wording of the article, for the author did not call his subject, Carter, crazy but his idea. Big difference. Stating "craizer still" and calling the man crazy are not the same. Amazing how it is so easy to search to find a reason to dismiss something one does not want to give credence too.

Oh, and as far as Carter's resume; don't forget peanut farmer!

Old 06-24-2007, 07:18 PM

The difference is your incessant personal perception of wrongness.

68,327 posts, read 54,350,985 times
Quote:
No, I know my christian history without google, do you? I believe were talking about today. And as far as hell goes tell that to burdell he is the one claiming that it is equivelant to muslims cutting peoples heads off!

I thought you had a little more class than this. Please tell me EXACTLY WHERE I EVER equated a Christian statement with beheading or I will be forced to give you a negative for a personal attack and unlike the spineles among us I will sign my name.

9,888 posts, read 10,818,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post

And in all seriousness I see little difference in a Christian telling me I'm doomed unless I follow his God or a Muslim telling me I'm doomed unless I follow his God. Where is the difference?
FOR THE LOVE OF GOD BURDELL!! THE DIFFERENCE IS MUSLIMS ARE KILLING YOU! now back to the OT
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies