Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2010, 10:37 AM

315 posts, read 665,657 times

Advertisements

what neighborhoods would you compare bloomfield, lawrenceville and shadyside to in a city like philadelphia or elsewhere?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2010, 11:14 AM

6,601 posts, read 8,990,475 times
Well I think Downtown Pittsburgh feels like a miniature Manhattan.

Carson Street kind of reminds me of Fremont street in Vegas, at least with regards to the general vibe. Though maybe that's true for all drinking districts?

I really was thinking this next comparison just last week. Hopefully it isn't too off the wall for you guys, but I really think that Walnut Street in Shadyside feels like a shorter version of Motomachi in Yokohama, Japan. They are both streets full of shops and cafes that quickly turn into residential areas as soon as you go 3 or 4 doors down a side street. I know Motomachi is supposed to have quite a bit of European influence, so perhaps Walnut Street reminds people of areas in Europe? I've never been so I wouldn't know. Here's some pictures of Motomachi, do you guys see the resemblence or is it just me?

Attached Thumbnails
compare pittsburgh neiborhoods to other cities neighborhoods-motomachi1.jpg   compare pittsburgh neiborhoods to other cities neighborhoods-motomachi2.jpg   compare pittsburgh neiborhoods to other cities neighborhoods-motomachi3.jpg   compare pittsburgh neiborhoods to other cities neighborhoods-motomachi4.jpg   compare pittsburgh neiborhoods to other cities neighborhoods-motomachi5.jpg  

Old 03-29-2010, 09:58 PM

1,758 posts, read 4,233,734 times
That is a hard question because Pittsburgh is such a unique city. I would say the Italian Market on 9th Street in South Philly resembles The Strip. The Italian Market is slightly bigger. Manayunk in Philly might be comparable to Shadyside.

Old 03-30-2010, 12:01 AM

16,259 posts, read 43,218,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrarisnowday View Post
Well I think Downtown Pittsburgh feels like a miniature Manhattan.

Carson Street kind of reminds me of Fremont street in Vegas, at least with regards to the general vibe. Though maybe that's true for all drinking districts?

I really was thinking this next comparison just last week. Hopefully it isn't too off the wall for you guys, but I really think that Walnut Street in Shadyside feels like a shorter version of Motomachi in Yokohama, Japan. They are both streets full of shops and cafes that quickly turn into residential areas as soon as you go 3 or 4 doors down a side street. I know Motomachi is supposed to have quite a bit of European influence, so perhaps Walnut Street reminds people of areas in Europe? I've never been so I wouldn't know. Here's some pictures of Motomachi, do you guys see the resemblence or is it just me?
Hm...interesting. I live in Japan, and never found anywhere to look much like it in the States anyways.

Interesting that parts of Shadyside much, although I've never been to Shadyside. Based on the photos, any other Pittsburghers agree that that part of Shadyside looks like these streets in Japan?

I'm in Japan now and was walking around earlier today, and JUST thinking how much I wished there was somewhere in the States that resembled Japan even just a little bit - thinking the condensed housing with businesses all squashed together ideal for pedestrians.

Old 03-30-2010, 08:48 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,843,075 times
The OP didn't specify which cities to compare to, so I'll give you a brief comparison to Denver:

The University/University Park/Washington Park area is similar to Oakland/Shadyside, especially the area right around the University of Denver. The Denver Botanic Gardens are in that area, similar to the Phipps Conservatory. Wash Park is a huge Park, a la Schenley. Platt Park has the cute little shops like Shadyside.

The traditional Italian neighborhood in Denver (several names), (Bloomfield equivalent) is the corner of Northwest Denver. In actuality, the Italian community in Denver is pretty dispersed, especially into the western suburbs.

Old 03-30-2010, 12:43 PM

6,601 posts, read 8,990,475 times
The University area does sound pretty similar. I'm curious whether or not the Italian neighborhood is like Bloomfield just because it's Italian, or in some other way?

I guess another obvious comparison for many parts of the city is San Francisco, people are often surprised at how hilly Pittsburgh is and how common close together homes and rowhomes are.

Old 03-30-2010, 01:18 PM

315 posts, read 665,657 times
man i butchered the thread title. is there no editing here?

Old 03-30-2010, 01:48 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,843,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrarisnowday View Post
The University area does sound pretty similar. I'm curious whether or not the Italian neighborhood is like Bloomfield just because it's Italian, or in some other way?

I guess another obvious comparison for many parts of the city is San Francisco, people are often surprised at how hilly Pittsburgh is and how common close together homes and rowhomes are.
To answer your question about the comparison with Bloomfield, NW Denver is the Italian section of the city. There are a number of local Italian restaurants there, old Italian Catholic churches that have bazaars in the summer, that type of thing. It's been a while since I've been in Bloomfield, so I don't remember a lot about it. NW Denver has mostly little bungalows, old Victorian houses, other detached housing. It's also in an area that is hillier than most of Denver.

I forgot to post my link to Denver neighborhoods, so you could get a little picture:

Denver - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 03-30-2010, 09:44 PM

5,802 posts, read 9,901,400 times
Pittsburgh - Philly - NYC

The Strip - Italian Market - Tribeca/Meatpacking dist (more vibrant than Italian Market not as vibrant or developed as Tribeca)

L'ville - Northern Libs - Williamsburg/Greenpoint Brooklyn (equal to Northern Libs and Williamsburg although i think L'ville is starting to rival Park Slope Brooklyn)

Downtown - Center City - Lower Manhattan (Downtown is a distant 3rd to Center City but on par with Lower Manhattan, if 5 and Forbes can become vibrant along with Uptown then Downtown will rival Center City and Midtown Manhattan)

South Side - South Street/South Philly - East Village/Lower East Side (South Side more extensive than South Street, on par with Lower East Side for sure)

Shadyside - Rittenhouse Sq (Center City) - Upper East Side / Village ( Shadyside rivals both, while larger than Rittenhouse and on par with the West Village in size)

Bloomfield - South Philly/Fishtown - Astoria (Bloomfield is a 3rd to both more so Astoria than South Philly)

Central East Liberty - Broad n Olney meets University City - East Harlem meets East Village (Since East Liberty is in the mist of serious Gentrifying, i decided to mesh what the old East Liberty compared to in these cities to what the New East Liberty will be more comparable to).

Oakland - University City - Washington Square (all are on par with each other)

Sq Hill - Chestnut Hill - Bay Ridge ( Bay Ridge Brooklyn is more Bustling and dense and doesnt have that suburban in the city feel as Chestnut hill and Sq Hill have)

Wilkinsburg - Frankford - Jamaica ( All Ghetto's all Transportation Hubs)

Old 03-30-2010, 10:21 PM

12 posts, read 49,733 times
^^ Good job with that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh