Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-20-2009, 09:27 PM

580 posts, read 1,421,893 times

Advertisements

Hello Pittsburgh

I have been presented with 2 job offers in Pittsburgh but have a few questions I would like to ask about the area. I am from New Orleans so if I accept I will be coming from a entirely different area and way of living. I've never been there before or through. The weather is not a threat to me, I believe I can handle that if the money pays. My concern is me and my significant other loves the nightlife New Orleans offers. Of course you know the city of new orleans moves all night long all over the city. What I want to know is does Pittsburgh offer a downtown life geared with shopping and entertainment. Is there a entertainment district, restaurants and shopping downtown? All of this surrounded Downtown New Orleans. If there is anyone that can compare both based of their visit and/or experience it will be greatly appreciated. I am a young african-american 29 in age. Thanks for your assistance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2009, 10:06 PM

1,437 posts, read 3,072,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bornjacksonian View Post
Hello Pittsburgh

I have been presented with 2 job offers in Pittsburgh but have a few questions I would like to ask about the area. I am from New Orleans so if I accept I will be coming from a entirely different area and way of living. I've never been there before or through. The weather is not a threat to me, I believe I can handle that if the money pays. My concern is me and my significant other loves the nightlife New Orleans offers. Of course you know the city of new orleans moves all night long all over the city. What I want to know is does Pittsburgh offer a downtown life geared with shopping and entertainment. Is there a entertainment district, restaurants and shopping downtown? All of this surrounded Downtown New Orleans. If there is anyone that can compare both based of their visit and/or experience it will be greatly appreciated. I am a young african-american 29 in age. Thanks for your assistance.
I have to disagree with you that NO is "moving all night long all over the city". NYC can't even claim that. Personally, I think that NO is a total dump of a city. I'm not trying to insult you, but that's how I feel. A very dangerous city with notoriously corrupt cops.

Last edited by pittsteelerfan; 01-20-2009 at 10:32 PM..

Old 01-21-2009, 05:57 AM

22,591 posts, read 47,680,585 times
Nothing, really, compares to NO.... it is quite the unique city.

If you want the NO experience, you will NOT find that in Pittsburgh.
If you come with a open mind and a willingness to try what Pittsburgh has to offer, you might like what you find!

Old 01-21-2009, 06:54 AM

2,488 posts, read 2,934,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsteelerfan View Post
I have to disagree with you that NO is "moving all night long all over the city". NYC can't even claim that. Personally, I think that NO is a total dump of a city. I'm not trying to insult you, but that's how I feel. A very dangerous city with notoriously corrupt cops.
Come on man. The guy is asking for somebody to compare Pittsburgh with New Orleans, not somebody to just trash his hometown.

I never been to New Orleans, but I can tell you already that the Pittsburgh jazz scene is probably nowhere close, but it is still good. It most likely would be a much different city.

Out of all of the southern cities I still have to visit New Orleans is one of them. I really want to visit it, because I feel that it probably has a lot of soul, and many southern cities miss out on.

Old 01-21-2009, 08:53 AM

5,802 posts, read 9,895,961 times
Also one thing to know as well, Pittsburgh Night-Life and Entertainment is buit within its neighborhoods....While Downtown is very much up and coming its still primarly a 9/5 corridor outside of the cultural district....

Pittsburgh pretty lively neighborhoods are:

Strip - 24hr nighborhood, Wholesale market by day, chic lounge and clubbing by night..Young Professional living

Lawrenceville - Butler Street, Artisy boehieman village that's rapidly gentrifying, also seems to be fastly becoming the area for hippsters.

Bloomfield - Pittsburgh's Little Italy an active Liberty Avenue with plenty of shops and cafe in the area.

Shadyside - The Upper East Side living in Pittsburgh, Very Posh in sections, and village "ish" college in others...Walnut Street very chic shopping, Ellsworth and Highland have a nice mix of resturants, lounges, with shopping mixed in. Young Proessional living

Central E. Liberty - East End Transit HUB - Gentrifying - Big Box Retail - Becoming extention of Shadyside as they're neighbors as far as living and resturants...

Squirrel Hill - Jewishtown Pittsburgh, Very Diverse, bustling corridors, Mom Pop Shops, College 'ish' in areas and residental in other parts, Young Professional living

Oakland - College Town/2nd Business District of Pittsburgh, 24hour neighborhood, Lots of college students, very active, Transit Hub, Lots of unique stores..Residental in North, South and West Oakland. Young Professional living

South Side - Fast becoming 24 hr neighborhood, bars and resturants galore on Carson - Chic shopping and entertainment in the Works, Young professional living. Village style living in parts, parts of the Flats are college'ish' the Slopes are Main Street and College 'ish' with Gentrification setting in.

North Side - Majority is residential- village style in the Central North Side and Allegheny West, business strip through out...Nightlife along North Shore w/ Young Professional living as well.

Old 01-21-2009, 01:34 PM

2,193 posts, read 5,803,289 times
Blackbeauty hit it right on the nose. And I as stated in your other post, you wont necessarily find what you're looking for right in Downtown Pittsburgh, but more so the neighborhoods that surround it.

Old 01-21-2009, 02:05 PM

803 posts, read 2,970,234 times
As a transplanted Pittsburgher, originally from Dallas (via Bossier City, St. Louis, Chicago & NYC), I used to spend alot of time in N.O. and know the areas from the Vieux Carre to Slidell to the 5th & 9th Wards...

NOTHING will EVER take the place of Bourbon Street, not even in Europe. The closest that comes to it is St. Louis' "Soulard Mardi Gras", the 3rd largest in the world (after RIO and N.O.).

As far as nightlife goes, we have the Carson Street area on the near South Side, and various other areas as mentioned below. ALL have good diversity of venue, music and style.

To wrap it up succinctly, you will learn to love Pittsburgh's varied scenes, as long as you don't limit yourself to only one party area. The downtown area is pretty dead, but they throw one HELL of a fireworks display here, and let's not forget the strip clubs offer FREE BOOZE!!!!! - - So, you can ALWAYS get your groove on in one of them as well, should that need arise.....

Come here with open mind, and this city will welcome you with open arms.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh