Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-25-2009, 11:23 PM

132 posts, read 517,206 times

Advertisements

I am visiting Pittsburgh next week...only staying 1 night and I could use some suggestions on where to stay. Is downtown the best place to stay or can someone recommend a better neighborhood? Looking for a place where we can walk around, shop, eat...etc. Any help on location or hotels is appreciated. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2009, 11:46 PM

875 posts, read 1,489,980 times
I think it would depend on how much you're willing to spend versus how close to town you want to stay. If you're looking to walk around from your hotel I would suggest to look at the Westin by the Convention Center in Downtown or the Sheraton at Station Square just south of Downtown. Those places offer several shops and destinations nearby.

If you're looking for some places perhaps a bit cheaper and not too far from town (quick drive or cheap bus ride) the next place I would look to is Oakland. There is a Residence Inn and some other hotel there as well. A few good places to eat, but shopping is lacking in Oakland. Also there is a hotel at the Waterfront at Homestead that is near a pretty major outdoor shopping area as well as numerous restaurants and a megaplex movie theater.

I'm sure there are far more options still close to the city, but these are the ones I'm most familiar with.

Old 10-25-2009, 11:57 PM

20,273 posts, read 33,022,351 times
Personally, for a one-night stay I'd recommend being in or near Downtown, provided you weren't on a very tight budget. In addition to the recommendations above, you can also look at the North Shore hotels, which are within walking distance of Downtown (over any number of bridges).

Old 10-26-2009, 12:02 AM

1,104 posts, read 2,591,570 times
The only place that I could think of where you can do all of the following is down in Station Square. It's close enough to town where you can hop on the trolley or bus and go over to Downtown or the rest of the Southside.

Old 10-26-2009, 12:05 AM

875 posts, read 1,489,980 times
^^ Ah see, I knew I forgot some nearby. Yes there are several offerings just north of Downtown. There are also a few more in Downtown itself than the Westin, but most of them are pricey. There's a Hilton, The William Penn, and The Renaissance. All of these including the Westin (just looked this up) are 4 star hotels. So yeah, they're right in the thick of things, but they may be too pricey if you're not looking for a fancy hotel.

There's at least one other hotel downtown I know of, can't recall if it's a Doubletree or something else, but it's likely cheaper.

Old 10-26-2009, 12:19 AM

1,369 posts, read 3,310,714 times
Honestly, if I were you, I'd bid like $50 or $55 and get a 4 star downtown, whatever Priceline gives you. From what I've heard that should be enough to get one of the nice hotels downtown. Pocket whatever you save and have some fun with the rest.

Old 10-26-2009, 02:52 AM

567 posts, read 1,162,057 times
There is a hotel - Holiday Inn I think? - on I think 10th Street in the South Side. There's also a B&B down there that I hear is nice, if you're into that. The SouthSide is definitely a fun and happening neighborhood with things to do for the night, with lots of cafes, restaurants, shopping, and an enormous number of bars.
There are also some choices in Oakland or Shadyside. There are things to do there too, but... the former has stuff to do such as the Conservatory and some University-related things, as Pitt and Carnegie-Mellon are there. The latter is more yuppie/upscale with shopping, cafes, and restaurants. I think the SouthSide has more variety in any case.
Anyway, downtown is fine, especially in the day, but there's not really mcuh to do at night unless you hit up the opera/symphony or something like that. I think you'd be disappointed staying there if looking for things to do in the evening (though it's not terribly hard to get somewhere else from there). The SouthSide would be my recommendation, depending on your age and precisely what you like to do.

Old 10-26-2009, 09:09 PM

32,617 posts, read 77,624,272 times
A female friend and I really enjoyed our stay at The Priory in the Near North Side earlier this year.

Old 10-27-2009, 01:27 PM

4,692 posts, read 9,037,720 times
I stayed at the William Penn for my first visit to Pittsburgh. It's in the heart of downtown, so there's a lot to explore, and the hotel itself is a wonder. It's a really great way to experience the essence of Pittsburgh and the extra cost is worth it.

Old 10-27-2009, 01:58 PM

1,719 posts, read 4,182,657 times
I would advise the hotel on S. 10th street right off of the bridge on the South Side. The South Side is the most lively neighborhood in the city and will keep you the most entertained.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh