Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2012, 03:37 PM

41 posts, read 85,147 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I'm from New York and I am visiting Pittsburgh again next week.

First of all, I have to say this: Pittsburgh is so beautiful! I honestly thought it was going to be this disgusting, dirty, polluted mess of a city but it turned out to be the complete opposite! I also thought it might be a little backwards in thinking but it wasn't! I was so glad that I was wrong, though! I went with my New York-is-superior attitude and traveled back to New York depressed. The first thing I smelled was exhaust on the street and urine in Penn Station.

Anyway! I'm quite fond of the city and plan on visiting two more times after my next trip: January and April. If I'm happy each visit, I might just move next summer!

It's going to be a relatively short trip, though. I plan on visiting the Mattress Factory Museum since I didn't get to last time. Everyone I spoke to last time told me to skip the Andy Warhol Museum because it's filled with crap, which I believe, but I feel like I should still go just to hate the fact that there's actually an entire museum dedicated to the guy.

Is there anything I should do since I won't be back until the city freezes over? I'm actually really looking forward to a frozen Pittsburgh.

Also, for anyone with any knowledge on the following schools, please provide me with your honest rating of each one. I know some schools are better for some programs, but in general, which is probably "better" for graduate school? Again, that's probably subjective but let me know your thoughts! And I'm leaving the University of Pittsburgh and Carnegie Mellon University off this list since I know they aren't considered crappy in the city or outside of the city.

*Carlow University
*Chatham University
*Duquesne University
*Point Park University
*Robert Morris University

And feel free to make fun of my username!

I also thought it was adorable how so many people in the city would make quacking noises whenever the Ducky boat drove by in city or even passed people on the river in their boats.

Thanks,

Andrew
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2012, 03:42 PM

20,273 posts, read 33,029,222 times
I like both the Mattress Factory and the Warhol.

One major thing I can think of that you would have to do now rather than January is kayaking (it goes down to weekends only in October, subject to weather). Otherwise most of the major attractions can be pretty fun to visit in the winter (often with holiday themes and such).

Old 10-03-2012, 04:54 PM

4,240 posts, read 4,921,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NooYinzer View Post
Hello,

First of all, I have to say this: Pittsburgh is so beautiful! I honestly thought it was going to be this disgusting, dirty, polluted mess of a city but it turned out to be the complete opposite! I also thought it might be a little backwards in thinking but it wasn't! I was so glad that I was wrong, though! I went with my New York-is-superior attitude and traveled back to New York depressed. The first thing I smelled was exhaust on the street and urine in Penn Station.

Anyway! I'm quite fond of the city and plan on visiting two more times after my next trip: January and April. If I'm happy each visit, I might just move next summer!

It's going to be a relatively short trip, though. I plan on visiting the Mattress Factory Museum since I didn't get to last time. Everyone I spoke to last time told me to skip the Andy Warhol Museum because it's filled with crap, which I believe, but I feel like I should still go just to hate the fact that there's actually an entire museum dedicated to the guy.

Is there anything I should do since I won't be back until the city freezes over? I'm actually really looking forward to a frozen Pittsburgh.

Also, for anyone with any knowledge on the following schools, please provide me with your honest rating of each one. I know some schools are better for some programs, but in general, which is probably "better" for graduate school? Again, that's probably subjective but let me know your thoughts! And I'm leaving the University of Pittsburgh and Carnegie Mellon University off this list since I know they aren't considered crappy in the city or outside of the city.

*Carlow University
*Chatham University
*Duquesne University
*Point Park University

And feel free to make fun of my username!

I also thought it was adorable how so many people in the city would make quacking noises whenever the Ducky boat drove by in city or even passed people on the river in their boats.

Thanks,

Andrew
Well, for activities, what are you interests?

Here's my opinion of those schools:
1) Duquesne
2) Chatham
3) Robert Morris (Moon Township)
4) Point Park
5) Carlow (DON'T haha)

Old 10-03-2012, 04:55 PM

5,047 posts, read 5,807,420 times
We moved from New York in the summer and just love it here.

Old 10-03-2012, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
I like both the Mattress Factory and the Warhol.

One major thing I can think of that you would have to do now rather than January is kayaking (it goes down to weekends only in October, subject to weather). Otherwise most of the major attractions can be pretty fun to visit in the winter (often with holiday themes and such).
That actually sounds fun. I have never done that here in New York before. Thanks!

Old 10-03-2012, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by speagles84 View Post
Well, for activities, what are you interests?

Here's my opinion of those schools:
1) Duquesne
2) Chatham
3) Robert Morris (Moon Township)
4) Point Park
5) Carlow (DON'T haha)
I'm always open to something new! Pittsburgh has more opportunities for outdoorsy-type things.

Thanks and what exactly makes Carlow bad? Aside from being #5 but also the actual "don't" in your post.

Old 10-03-2012, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by okaydorothy View Post
We moved from New York in the summer and just love it here.
It does seem like a nice place; it's also a lot cheaper, which I appreciate!

I'm glad it has a New Yorker's approval, aside from my own!

Old 10-03-2012, 06:11 PM

4,240 posts, read 4,921,828 times
Quote:
I'm always open to something new! Pittsburgh has more opportunities for outdoorsy-type things.

Thanks and what exactly makes Carlow bad? Aside from being #5 but also the actual "don't" in your post.
Personally, if I had limited time in Pittsburgh... I'd do:

1) Carnegie Science Center (Could be done in January too)
2) Gateway Clipper Ride (better in Oct than Jan)
3) Incline to Mt. Washington and overlook (better in Oct)
4) Museums in Oakland (Could be done in Jan)

Here's my reasoning for the University Rankings. Duquesne is a larger school with a wide array of Graduate Degrees. Heck I think they have nearly the same amount of Grads and Undergrads. Chatham is the same, but a much smaller school, with less connections. Point Park and RMU are about equal to each other, with less Grad programs, but still are okay. Carlow has very limited graduate programs, mostly dealing with the Arts I believe. Also, compared to the other universities named, it is consistently ranked the lowest.

Old 10-04-2012, 06:25 AM

1,657 posts, read 2,691,247 times
Quote:
Hello,

I'm glad you enjoyed your first visit.

Quote:
It will be nice to see the city in each season. This city, and actually this part of the state, is beautiful in April. It's one of my favorite months.

Quote:
It's going to be a relatively short trip, though. I plan on visiting the Mattress Factory Museum since I didn't get to last time.
I strongly recommend the Mattress Factory. I really like the light exhibit on the second floor, though most of the exhibits are pretty compelling. There are also interesting views of the North Side and Downtown throughout the museum.

(Hint: On the building on Monterey, you will notice red gutter-looking things. They're periscopes, and you can use them to see into several of the exhibits.)

Also, if you're into coffee, there's a great coffee shop one block from the museum at the corner of Jacksonia and Buena Vista. It's called Buena Vista coffee, and it's worth checking out.

Quote:
If you're "cool" with being out in the cold, then I don't know if there's anything in particular you should try to squeeze in before Winter. If you were coming one week earlier, I would have recommended that you make it to Penn Brewery's Oktoberfest. Perhaps visiting a park would be a good idea, but personally, I like the parks just as much in the winter as in summer. You can maybe try to get on a boat or go kayaking?

Quote:

*Carlow University
*Chatham University
*Duquesne University
*Point Park University
I guess it depends on the program, but of the 5 schools you listed, I would probably choose Duquesne.

Last edited by ML North; 10-04-2012 at 07:25 AM..

Old 10-04-2012, 06:42 AM

802 posts, read 1,321,958 times
If you're looking for a place to stay while visiting Pittsburgh, I highly recommend either The Parador Inn or The Priory. Both are on the North Side and close to the stadiums, the T and many other attractions. The Parador has a winter special where you only pay $100/night. The rooms are gorgeous and large.

I am from Philly and visit Pittsburgh frequently. I was very impressed with the city when I went in February 2011 to see the Super Bowl. I was amazed at how much it had changed for the better since my last visit back in 2002.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh