Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2009, 11:54 PM

9,982 posts, read 13,755,730 times

Advertisements

Please forgive me if this is ignorant or a repeat, but how does the fall color around Pittsburgh compare with New England? I have it on my to do list to take a tour through the Northeast in October some year, and from Herodotus' stellar photos in a previous thread and suspect your area would also be good, and potentially less crowded with tour buses,etc. True?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2009, 01:13 AM

Location: Just East of the Southern Portion of the Western Part of PA
1,272 posts, read 3,706,370 times
Yes true - go to Forrest County, Cook Forest, and the Allegheny National Forrest. Less crowded than New England and just as beautiful. Forrest County has fewer people per square mile than deer and is one of the few places left in PA that is truly wild.

Old 10-03-2009, 04:19 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,004,288 times
East into the Laurel Mountains, near Johnstown or even Bedord is nice for fall foliage too. I really can't think of anywhere that isn't nice.

It will be interesting to see what this year will be like. We had a very dry September, but if it continues raining through October our fall foliage color might be washed out.

Old 10-03-2009, 12:09 PM

Hey, to get a rise out y'all....
This is a picture of our fall colors (well up on the East Slope of the Cascades in Washington). It show vine maple in the foreground with typical western conifers beyond. Can you touch this? How about you Herodotus?

(not sure this will fly, never uploaded a photo..)

file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/SarrD/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot-4.jpg (broken link)
Attached Thumbnails
Fall Colors in W. Pennsylvania-maplewashington.jpg  

Old 10-03-2009, 12:27 PM

1,437 posts, read 3,774,703 times
Here's some pics I took last fall in the Pittsburgh area (Settlers Cabin Park and the Montour Trail)

Old 10-03-2009, 01:00 PM

Location: Just East of the Southern Portion of the Western Part of PA
1,272 posts, read 3,706,370 times
^very nice pics. Gotta love the fall.

Old 10-03-2009, 01:44 PM

Now that is what I was looking for..Thanks! I figured someone would come through. More are welcome, of course!

To be honest, outside the aspens and gambel oak and spectacular peaks of SW Colorado, the West cannot compete in this department. That said, the occasional patches of brilliant yellow cottonwoods or red viney maples against a dark conifer backdrop can be very beautiful on a more local scale, so might as well visit 'em all.

Old 10-03-2009, 02:32 PM

133 posts, read 391,700 times
I don't have pics to upload to show (I shoot film and am very lazy about scanning), but check out Ohiopyle State Park. Every road leading to the park also has great views and trees. Because the types of trees are similar to New England, the amount of color is similar, too.
There's also Falling Water. Granted, you have to pay to get in, but it should be gorgeous to see in the fall.
Fall is the only time I make sure I have color film - the rest of the year I shoot B&W.

Old 10-05-2009, 12:13 PM

780 posts, read 1,384,002 times
Any where east of here will be spectacular especially here, Pennsylvania State Parks - Leonard Harrison - PA DCNR , the Grand Canyon of PA. Up around Kinzua resevoir, the Allegheny river valley and the ANF should be great. If you go to the grand canyon, swing by Benzenette and check out the elk. Should get some great photo ops with the elk and the fall colors in the background.

Saw an article in the Trib this Sunday regarding this and they said due to the weather and other factors, this year is shaping up to be a 8 or 9 on a scale to 10 of awesome fall colors. Another week or two should be outstanding (sooner the farther north and east you go).

Old 10-06-2009, 10:41 PM

Sounds great! I hope some folks revive this thread in a few weeks with some new photos from this year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh