Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2011, 12:49 AM

5 posts, read 5,947 times

Advertisements

Yep - another one of these posts but I'd love some advice.

I was born and raised in Houston, Tx and recently took a job that is going to relocate me to Pennsylvania. I've been up there to do work a few times and love the state and what I've seen so far (mostly Pittsburgh and southwestern towards Charleroi) but I do have a concern. I move in March or April of 2012 and if it's at all possible I want to find somewhere similar to Houston in terms of subdivisions and a city feel and/or newer model homes if feasible. Is that possible in PA? I've been quite a few places but the homes are either really old (I prefer a modern style brick home) or deep in the country with 30 minute to an hour drives to any city area. Like I said I've only been through certain towns and don't expect it to be exactly the same as where I live now so that's why I'm inquiring here.

I've seen a lot of posts here with great ideas for people looking to move and finding something comfortable so hopefully someone who knows the everyday lifestyles Houston, Tx or anywhere near it can help out with some advice on where to look at for a similar feel.

I have a fiancé with no kids and we would like a nice modern area to live probably closer to the southwest (Pittsburgh) side of the state. The proximity to Pittsburgh isn't very relevant - just need to be more western PA than eastern PA.

Thanks for any info and if it helps to know anything else for a proper reply, please ask and I'll be happy to provide it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2011, 07:36 AM

1,763 posts, read 3,294,313 times
The Northern suburbs will have the newest construction closest to the city. I know Houston has lots of suburban shopping and newer subdivisions. I think most people will recommend Cranberry Township as being most similar.

Old 10-10-2011, 07:50 AM

94 posts, read 134,346 times
My family lived in Cypress for a couple years. If that is the life style you are looking for, the aforementioned Cranberry is a good place to look. I'd also recommend Moon, Robinson, and South Fayette Townships.

Old 10-10-2011, 08:32 AM

Great! Thanks for the info. I'll look 'em up!

Old 10-10-2011, 08:41 AM

Cypress is a great example of what I'm looking for. I guess I could have been even more specific because Houston is quite large. Northwest Houston (I live in Harris County for those who know it) is what I'm referring to in my first post to keep it clear. Thanks again!

Old 10-10-2011, 09:06 AM

674 posts, read 1,413,408 times
In what location will you be working? Has your fiance secured a job? What is your budget? Are you looking for a starter home, or are you looking for somewhere that you will settle down for quite some time? Do you plan on having kids/raising kids in this home?

Old 10-10-2011, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burghgirl17 View Post
In what location will you be working? Has your fiance secured a job? What is your budget? Are you looking for a starter home, or are you looking for somewhere that you will settle down for quite some time? Do you plan on having kids/raising kids in this home?
Great questions!

I will be working mostly out of a yard smack dab in the center of Belle Vernon, PA. A yard called Three Rivers Marine & Rail. I don't necessarily need to live close to there, because that's just where we ship product from. So even living in Cranberry which is a few hours away from Belle Vernon wouldn't be a problem. I would only need to go there for inventory purposes. My actual job is laying pipeline where ever the customer orders it, so in essence I'll be traveling all over PA, up to and including the Avis, PA area. We just prefer to live on the Pittsburgh side of PA due to the inventory being in Belle Vernon.

My fiance has not secured a job. I am slightly worried about where we are going to look for her. She doesn't have any schooling and has only worked jobs such as receptionist and minor customer service... so I hope we are able to at least find her a part time job somewhere if anything at all. I hear the job market isn't the greatest in PA?

I am not sure what the best idea for home buying is in PA. I would love to find a perfect area and home and go ahead and buy it, but I've been told I should try renting for a year or two first. How is the market there? Is it a good or bad time to buy a home? Are there many homes for rent in the first place? I haven't seen apartment complexes like we have in Houston during the few times I've been in PA, but then again maybe I wasn't in the right area.

We do plan on having kids in 2013 after our marriage in 2012, so that would be a yes to that question.

My budget is right around $1200-$1400 for the home itself, but obviously negotiable based on what's available and what we end up liking... and I'm looking for a newer, fairly modern brick home. Something with the feel of a subdivision, but not cluttered.

I think this answers the questions you asked. Thanks for the reply and I look forward to any information you can provide! My fiance and I are really doing a ton of research because this is a huge move for us, so anything you can tell us is information well received!!

Old 10-10-2011, 01:14 PM

9,150 posts, read 10,899,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merq View Post
Great questions!

I will be working mostly out of a yard smack dab in the center of Belle Vernon, PA. A yard called Three Rivers Marine & Rail. I don't necessarily need to live close to there, because that's just where we ship product from. So even living in Cranberry which is a few hours away from Belle Vernon wouldn't be a problem.
Cranberry Township is only 75 minutes away from Belle Vernon. Cranberry, PA (not the Township) is another 90 minutes.

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=cranbe...ed=0CE0Q8gEwBw

Old 10-10-2011, 07:28 PM

1,164 posts, read 2,060,020 times
The city and its immediate suburbs (Bellevue, Millvale, Swissvale, Mt Lebanon, Dormont, Edgewood, Wilkinsburg, Crafton) are mostly like the Heights, Montrose, Eastwood and West University with a few Fifth Wards thrown in. Most of the outer suburbs - Penn Hills, Monroeville, Baldwin, Ross Twp, McCandless - run the vein of Sharpstown or Alief. The only area remotely like Clear Lake, the Woodlands or Cypress is around Robinson Town Center and Settlers Ridge. But there seems to be a lack of houses out there because I've never seen them. Cranberry Township has some subdivisions like Houston exurbs, but there is no mall.

Old 10-10-2011, 08:03 PM

4,692 posts, read 9,040,077 times
Check out Summerset at Frick Park. It's a neighborhood of brand new, mostly brick homes, right in the city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh