Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2009, 03:39 PM

22,616 posts, read 47,741,590 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
The Pens have a following, true, but Pittsburgh isn't a hockey town. Kids don't grow up playing hockey.
All the kids/teens using the sheets at the ISC would disagree with that....

I am in Westmoreland County, and ice time is a precious commodity here since the demand is high.
My son played grades 2 through 12.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2009, 09:43 PM

9 posts, read 10,483 times
Default Ebbs and flows

At ANY level football is first in Pittsburgh. High school hockey in PGH barely gets the fine print scorecard scores in the sports sections of local papers. But if Rothlesberger blows his nose, it is a front page headline. At the high school level hockey is not even a school sponsored sport, meaning no funding or minimal funding goes into the schools hockey team (if it even has one). The players pay for everything-ice time to cups and mouth pieces. Schools want no part of hockey because of the expense and limited control and ignorance of the game. The fans are coming around for hockey and supporting but could not tell you the difference between forechecking and backchecking. When Lemieux played as soon as he touched or came near the puck the crowd would stand and cheer as if he would score EVERY time he had the puck. It is almost becoming like that for Crosby and Malkin now. The fans are great, but probably 9/10 of the fans at a Pens game have no clue about the game itself and what to watch, to me they are fans of the players-not fans of the game itself. I myself will go watch any good game or good team-just to enjoy the game.We were at the tail end of a great growth spurt that came with Lemieux, figuring the Pens won their first cup in 1991 those kids are basically out of playing local hockey in PGH. My son was born in 1992, I played growing up and started in 1975, and coach now. The age groups that were 2 to 4 years older than my son were the most skilled I have ever seen here. As the pens went down, so did the numbers. I played with several good atheletes when I was younger, but all quit hockey-even though they actually enjoyed hockey the most, only because of the exposure and publicity that playing football, basketball, or wrestling can bring to a Western PA athelete. This area has produced many stellar atheletes, and now some are taking hockey seriously, but we still lack a JrA team. So our better kids have to move away at a fairly young age if they wish to move on...unfortunately I do not see this changing much in the next decade. The MN high school tournament is on my must see list...some day I hope to make it. There was a great article written in SI in the early '80's (I think) and ever since then I have wanted to make the trip.

Old 08-25-2009, 11:53 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,124,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjlough6 View Post
But if Rothlesberger blows his nose, it is a front page headline.
Come on, now, he blew more than his nose!

Old 08-28-2009, 04:34 PM

1,080 posts, read 2,271,200 times
Oh wow, I completeley forgot about this thread. Thanks for all the responses everyone!

Quote:
The MN high school tournament is on my must see list...some day I hope to make it. There was a great article written in SI in the early '80's (I think) and ever since then I have wanted to make the trip.
It is unbelievable and still as strong as ever. Definitely come!!! (especially if Hill-Murray is in it )

YouTube - How Minnesota does High School Hockey

YouTube - 2009 Minnesota Boys High School Hockey Tournament Open
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh