Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2009, 10:57 PM

2 posts, read 11,462 times

Advertisements

What are the nice suburban areas of pittsburgh?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2009, 09:41 AM

120 posts, read 302,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otis_Willis View Post
What are the nice suburban areas of pittsburgh?
There are many. My favorites are Peter's Township, Upper St. Clair, Cranberry, Wexford, Sewickley and Fox Chapel.

Old 07-02-2009, 10:27 AM

14 posts, read 36,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotlanta2 View Post
There are many. My favorites are Peter's Township, Upper St. Clair, Cranberry, Wexford, Sewickley and Fox Chapel.
Though those are the most boring parts of Pittsburgh

Oakmont is a very nice suburban area that isnt far, like Cranberry, or expensive and snobby, like Fox Chapel.

Old 07-02-2009, 10:30 AM

29,747 posts, read 34,404,163 times
What exactly are you looking for as far as housing stock, commute times, schools?

Old 07-02-2009, 10:43 AM

4,359 posts, read 7,533,270 times
I think that the best way to pick one is to first consider where you are going to be working and then decide where in relation to the city you want to live. For example, I would probably live in Fox Chapel if I was working in Oakland and not in Peters Township. If I was flying out of the airport a lot I would live in Sewickley.

Old 07-02-2009, 01:05 PM

4,362 posts, read 6,534,302 times
I can find a positive in almost any of Pittsburgh's Suburbs. It's all in what you think you like. Good chance it's not the same as everyone else.

Old 07-03-2009, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robrobrob View Post
I think that the best way to pick one is to first consider where you are going to be working and then decide where in relation to the city you want to live. For example, I would probably live in Fox Chapel if I was working in Oakland and not in Peters Township. If I was flying out of the airport a lot I would live in Sewickley.
That was rude.
Here is an example of what 249K will get you in "Oakland" which, IN MY OPINION, is not suburban. A two bedroom, 2 bath condo (http://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/Oakland_PA_15213_1110279625 - broken link), a very inexpensive LARGE home in Oakland (rather nice IMO).

A condo in Peter's Township (http://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/Peters-Twp_PA_15317_1110540608 - broken link) (a rarity out here) and a home in Upper St. Clair (http://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/Upper-St-Clair_PA_15241_1104203274 - broken link) for 175K. Upper St. Clair is a highly sought out area next to Peter's.

It's all relative to what you are used to, what interests you now, and where you would like to live. You asked for suburban, in my opinion, Oakland is not suburban. I'm sure you will find many areas that you will find pleasing. Good luck, and welcome.

Old 07-03-2009, 05:22 PM

487 posts, read 1,380,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotlanta2 View Post
That was rude.
Here is an example of what 249K will get you in "Oakland" which, IN MY OPINION, is not suburban.
It's all relative to what you are used to, what interests you now, and where you would like to live. You asked for suburban, in my opinion, Oakland is not suburban. I'm sure you will find many areas that you will find pleasing. Good luck, and welcome.
He said if he was working in Oakland. Before you call someone rude, please read carefully.

Old 07-03-2009, 06:17 PM

76 posts, read 319,396 times
Copied from another thread:

"Pittsburgh traffic issues come not from over-population, but from the stupidest road designs ever created in human history. Rt. 28 funnels down to 1 lane in parts (if you are able to dodge the falling rock). The Parkway East and Parkway West both funnel into 15 mph (and slower) tunnels. Then we have these 1-lane color-coded belts that go no-where in-particular and make absolutely no sense.....follow the mauve belt??? If you live in the South Hills you don't get a highway at all.....but that's ok, they have the human sardine can, or the T as some call it.

The only reasonable highways are North of the city.

Therefore, for your sanity you should move as close as possible to your place of employment....better to have your dining room double as a bedroom than to sit on the purple belt everyday."

zip95

Nice areas can be found in any direction away from the city.
North, Cranberry
South, Peters
East, Hampton
West, Robinson

Why fight traffic when you can enjoy some extra time at home. I agree with zip95.

Last edited by smokecitytdi; 07-03-2009 at 06:24 PM.. Reason: added info.

Old 07-05-2009, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bboy36win View Post
He said if he was working in Oakland. Before you call someone rude, please read carefully.
The OP stated, "What are the nice suburban areas of pittsburgh?"

Please show me where he said if he was working in Oakland.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh