Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-11-2015, 06:00 PM

6,788 posts, read 9,650,991 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by szug-bot View Post
Not sure that is quite correct. There has to be some optimal point of ridership that maximizes revenue vs. cost. That tipping point on a curve will probably never be achieved - PAT could use MORE ridership at certain days/times, on certain routes.
Yes, you can maximize revenue without increasing cost where you have extra seats. The fixed costs of running the route don't change when you add more passengers. Also, many of the routes are not receiving much of a subsidy at all. Some would run for a profit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2015, 07:41 PM

10,236 posts, read 16,896,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Like_Spam View Post
That would be a sure way to make the dense compact core less dense.

If people living in town or their guests, don't have a convenient place to keep their rides, they'll be less anxious to move their in the first place..
There's very little truth to your statement. Parking garages do not drive density , development does. If the parking were so necessary would the parking authority need to step in and build a monstrosity? No. Adding a crappy little retail space is no way to make up for a 570 space garage with 77 units (what a joke) across from another garage and park. Providing subsidized parking provides the wrong signal. there's plenty of parking in detroit. It's no coincidence this development is driven by the cronies

Old 02-11-2015, 07:47 PM

3,112 posts, read 2,936,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pman View Post
There's very little truth to your statement. Parking garages do not drive density , development does. If the parking were so necessary would the parking authority need to step in and build a monstrosity? No. Adding a crappy little retail space is no way to make up for a 570 space garage with 77 units (what a joke) across from another garage and park. Providing subsidized parking provides the wrong signal. there's plenty of parking in detroit.
Millcraft and McKnight Realty are the developers on the project, not the Pittsburgh Parking Authority.

Old 02-11-2015, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PghYinzer View Post
Millcraft and McKnight Realty are the developers on the project, not the Pittsburgh Parking Authority.
It's a ura project, sorry mixed up the public entities
http://www.post-gazette.com/business...s/201412120077

Old 02-12-2015, 06:17 AM

6,360 posts, read 5,093,294 times
What they should try to design for is a bus loading area that can accomodate 3 parked buses, possibly with a dedicated waiting lane. I read this thread and see good points for and against more parking. But Smithfield Street isn't going to get any wider. With hundreds of new residents, you can potentially double, or triple the traffic in the late rush hour, with people coming home from outside the Downtown, or leaving home for dinner or suburban shopping, etc.

Why not encourage mass transit with shuttles, and maybe a Golden Triangle loop route or something? If THAT existed, I would think $200,000 for a condo there (and thats probably low) would be attractive.

Old 02-12-2015, 07:09 AM

90,295 posts, read 121,199,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moby Hick View Post
Yes, you can maximize revenue without increasing cost where you have extra seats. The fixed costs of running the route don't change when you add more passengers. Also, many of the routes are not receiving much of a subsidy at all. Some would run for a profit.
Subsidy is the highest in the US at $5.22 per passenger. This was not hard to find.
https://www.minnpost.com/cityscape/2...-seems-bargain

Old 02-12-2015, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by szug-bot View Post

Why not encourage mass transit with shuttles, and maybe a Golden Triangle loop route or something? If THAT existed, I would think $200,000 for a condo there (and thats probably low) would be attractive.
you want to encourage the people who do not live there to take transit, preferrably instead of driving through a tunnel.

Old 02-12-2015, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FallsAngel View Post
Subsidy is the highest in the US at $5.22 per passenger. This was not hard to find.
https://www.minnpost.com/cityscape/2...-seems-bargain
It must be harder to find the right, current figure, because it's only $2 per ride.

http://www.portauthority.org/paac/po...budgetbook.pdf

Plus, my point was that the routes run at or near the line of profitability. See for example the comments in this discussion.

Nullspace: Bus economics and the (proposed) demise of the 28X Airport Flyer

I've been a fan of PAT since they actually did improve and correct the problems Zapinski notes there.

Old 02-12-2015, 07:35 AM

90,295 posts, read 121,199,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moby Hick View Post
It must be harder to find the right, current figure, because it's only $2 per ride.

http://www.portauthority.org/paac/po...budgetbook.pdf

Plus, my point was that the routes run at or near the line of profitability. See for example the comments in this discussion.

Nullspace: Bus economics and the (proposed) demise of the 28X Airport Flyer

I've been a fan of PAT since they actually did improve and correct the problems Zapinski notes there.
My bad, I thought this was a 2014 article. It's also possible that it depends on how the subsidy is calculated, since that's quite a drop in a year (my article was 2012, the budget is 2013-14). In any event, all public transportation is subsidized.

Old 02-12-2015, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FallsAngel View Post
In any event, all public transportation is subsidized.
So is all private transportation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh