Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-01-2014, 06:15 PM

6,601 posts, read 9,032,190 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
You're right. Rents that have gone through the roof in much of he city over the past few years should be of no concern to the homeowners on here who bought when housing prices were still cheap.
Only like the top 20% of Pittsburgh Neighborhoods don't have cheap houses. At some point you're just going to have to pull the trigger and buy. You've been here for what, 5 years now? And you still haven't bought even though it seems to be a top priority for you and the increasing rents seem to be a constant source of anxiety for you.

You're not going to get your ideal neighborhood...most 20-somethings won't with their first home purchase. Even most people who bought cheap in now-expensive neighborhoods weren't moving into their ideal neighborhood, the neighborhood transformed around them. I bet if you had bought in Upper Lawrenceville or Garfield a couple of years ago you'd be pretty satisfied now. Maybe now that means moving to one of the other ~80% of Pittsburgh neighborhoods that are still pretty cheap.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2014, 07:37 AM

1,776 posts, read 2,706,053 times
But if he finally buys, he'll lose his main reason to post on here.

Old 09-02-2014, 08:04 AM

6,601 posts, read 9,032,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronPGH View Post
But if he finally buys, he'll lose his main reason to post on here.
No way, SCR will be a cheerleader who single-handedly sends his next neighborhood into gentrification just like he did with Polish Hill.

Old 09-02-2014, 08:07 AM

1,776 posts, read 2,706,053 times
lol

Old 09-02-2014, 08:48 AM

32,632 posts, read 77,857,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferraris View Post
No way, SCR will be a cheerleader who single-handedly sends his next neighborhood into gentrification just like he did with Polish Hill.
Yeah. In hindsight I didn't realize just how wide of an audience City-Data truly had. I moved here in 2010 and started rah-rahing. Before I knew it this place became "hip" and "trendy". Coincidence? I think not! I'm going to buy a house in Troy Hill, rah-rah the heck out of it, cause the property values to soar, and then Steindle can cash out a happy man.

Old 09-02-2014, 09:12 AM

1,653 posts, read 1,591,929 times
You are of course free to believe whatever you like, but this predates you a little.
http://m.pghcitypaper.com/pittsburgh...nt?oid=1339423

Old 09-02-2014, 09:14 AM

778 posts, read 844,055 times
STANTON HEIGHTS WELCOMES YOU! Please come make these 50s bungalows cool again, we need all the help we can get.

Old 09-02-2014, 10:05 AM

32,632 posts, read 77,857,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sealie View Post
You are of course free to believe whatever you like, but this predates you a little.
http://m.pghcitypaper.com/pittsburgh...nt?oid=1339423
I was just poking a bit of fun! I knew the neighborhood had great potential when I moved here. I was just hoping it would have waited to take off until I could have saved money for the down payment and closing costs on a house. Now I have to invade YOUR neighborhood next!

For what it's worth the old Polish deli in the neighborhood just reopened as a full-service market with sundries, a deli, fresh produce, snacks, frozen foods, dairy products, and, of course, pierogies! Now if only we had a laundromat I'd almost never have to leave the neighborhood.

Old 02-10-2015, 09:36 AM

10,230 posts, read 16,885,753 times
Quote:
Trek Development Group and Q Development have teamed up to purchase the two eight-story buildings at 711 and 713 Penn for about $2.4 million with plans to convert them to apartments..The partnership is considering as many as 50 units within the existing buildings, but Mr. Gatti said there may be a way to add more floors — and more units — to the top of each property...
The vacant McNally Building at 711 Penn was built in 1896 and was previously owned by David Forbes, who also had envisioned it for possible residential use. Howard Hanna broker Jay Phoebe, who represented Mr. Forbes in the sale, said the building was on the market for only six months.
The building at 713 Penn has been owned for the last 50 years by the owners of Mahla Office Furniture, which has a showroom on the first floor. The real estate became available when Mahla decided to combine operations at its location at 1201 Penn in the Strip District. That move will take place Feb. 19.
The 713 Penn structure, said Rich Beynon, who represented Mahla in the sale, was built in 1893 and originally known as the Bonn Building.
Two Downtown Pittsburgh buildings to be converted to housing | Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Old 02-11-2015, 12:47 PM

10,230 posts, read 16,885,753 times
Quote:
The project would start with a seven-story, 570-space parking garage on top of which the firm expects to build 77 condos in an overall $60 million to $70 million development..."We have a long way to go in phase two," said Chad Wheatley, vice president of construction for Millcraft. "We have a lot to figure out."
New 77-unit condo project to replace former Saks presented to Pittsburgh Planning Commission - Pittsburgh Business Times
like trying to figure out why anyone thought it was a good idea to build a monstrous parking garage across from mellon park which is a parking garage itself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh