Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-07-2009, 09:09 AM

114 posts, read 350,695 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone,
I was wondering if you could tell me about the safety factor along centre avenue. Right now I live in Shadyside but not anywhere close to Centre. I'm pretty paranoid and want to be in a safe place. I feel safe in Shadyside, but it seems to be a little different north of the busway. What are your opinions? Thanks for any input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2009, 09:18 AM

297 posts, read 506,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peanut33 View Post
Hey everyone,
I was wondering if you could tell me about the safety factor along centre avenue. Right now I live in Shadyside but not anywhere close to Centre. I'm pretty paranoid and want to be in a safe place. I feel safe in Shadyside, but it seems to be a little different north of the busway. What are your opinions? Thanks for any input.
From what I've seen, it's not much different than any other part of Shadyside. It's kind of run-down and dirty, has tons of sketchy people, mainly from East Liberty, hanging around and causing minor issues. I mean, that's no different than the local hoods running around oakland and shadyside though, right? So, if you are ok there, then you'll be ok around Negley/Centre. It's not like bullets will be flying and you'll be robbed immediately. Most of these intimidating fools I see walking around are in their teens and 20s. They look tough and talk loud, but they would never do anything violent. They smoke weed, drink, and their biggest crime is stealing a bag of chips from CVS. I spent tons of time in East Liberty taking the EBA into town and nobody ever messed with me...not even close. I think you'll be fine. Don't be scared by the reputation of the neighborhood. The EBA rocks!

Old 05-07-2009, 09:36 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,205,669 times
I agree with Matt. Imagine that!

Old 05-07-2009, 12:22 PM

114 posts, read 350,695 times
Thanks for the response However, what you describe doesn't sound anything like Shadyside to me....not run down/dirty....no one walking around talking loud and causing trouble. I mostly see families, etc. I guess that answers my question though. I think I will look for a more family-friendly area. Thanks!

Old 05-07-2009, 01:06 PM

297 posts, read 506,921 times
Quote:
Thanks for the response However, what you describe doesn't sound anything like Shadyside to me....not run down/dirty....no one walking around talking loud and causing trouble. I mostly see families, etc. I guess that answers my question though. I think I will look for a more family-friendly area. Thanks!
Well, perhaps I meant more Oakland. However, I stand by my run-down/dirty comments...mainly with the influx of slum lords and student apartments there. I remember looking at an apt once on Summerlea...yeah, no thanks. In the Centre Ave area there is a spill over from East Liberty, but I don't think it would be a big problem for you. Make sure your apt is in a decent area with decent locks, carry a taser. Heck, you should do that in any part of the city!

Old 05-07-2009, 01:12 PM

2,488 posts, read 2,942,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattjd View Post
Make sure your apt is in a decent area with decent locks, carry a taser. Heck, you should do that in any part of the city!

Old 05-07-2009, 01:14 PM

2,488 posts, read 2,942,062 times
Quote:
If you are looking for a family friendly area, why don't you try Squirrel Hill?

I don't see how Centre Ave looks rundown around the Giant Eagle to North Oakland section. It starts to only get sketchy in the North Oakland area. But I really don't get half the stuff I read on this forum.

Old 05-07-2009, 01:22 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,205,669 times
I really don't consider Shadyside a 'family' neighborhood. Sure, there are families there, but it's a very 'singles' 'students' 'artists' and 'renters' neighborhood too. I agree that Shadyside can be run down in some blocks---too many rental units not being maintained properly. But that's part of Shadyside's charm---the ability to blend upscale housing with affordable housing for students and artists (which is getting less and less affordable but the landlords aren't improving the maintenance, just increasing the rent). That doesn't mean Shadyside is a dangerous neighborhood. It's Shadyside.

Old 05-07-2009, 01:46 PM

3,733 posts, read 5,977,627 times
The whole area, including Centre Avenue, is basically fine. It's so crowded with traffic and people walking most of the time that you're never really by yourself (unless you like to walk at 3am). I've lived in the area since 1983 and walk, bus, and drive all over the place without a problem. It's a great area.

Old 05-10-2009, 03:57 PM

758 posts, read 1,230,532 times
I don't think its a spillover from east liberty but more likely the part of the Hill District near Oakland..which
Centre Ave. goes thru..(then again it could be a spillover from east lib too..)..It is sketchy in that small
area before you get down by Shadyside Hospital...just pay attention to surroundings thats all..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh