Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-27-2009, 03:07 PM

10 posts, read 27,872 times

Advertisements

in 5-10 years from now where do you see each of them at as far as the level of living?

We are a young couple renting in the South Side Flats, we love it here, want to live close to here, but it is out of our price range to buy in the area. This is for owning the house for 5-10 years while slowly flipping/updating it/maybe renting in the long run. So we originally thought of the slopes(because of the obvious location). After several showings and talking to neighbors I am getting concerned. Numerous houses with bad interior layouts and neighbors talking about there concern of "the hill expanding down towards the slopes". Do you guys see the slopes improving as south side grows a bit more nice year by year or going down due to the hill expanding? Any info on the slopes would be awesome.

Secondly, after being a bit bummed on the slopes, I started looking into Brookline. More house for the money, less crime rate etc, close to Mt L, The T and good buses. Actual yards and garages. Suburb feel but able to be in the South Side/City in 5-10 min tops without the rush. I am not to worried about the traffic as i would expect it to be 20-30 min to oakland during rush hour (usually would take 20 min from south side to oakland during rush hour as well) More worried because this is sort of my investment first home. And i was excited that in the slopes, renting out would be extremely easy due to its location with Oakland(students and there parents money). Do students rent/buy homes in Brookline for its suburb feel but location to the Oakland? Any more info on Brookline was be great too I really fell in love with Brookline but everytime i research I here "location, location, location!" What would you do in my situation!?

Not to interested in other areas as I simply love South Side and have to be close by
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2009, 03:29 PM

156 posts, read 296,670 times
You may also want to consider Greentree and Mt Washington, both easy drives to the South Side. I live on Mt Washington, and feel it is up and coming as a great neighborhood. The conventional wisdom on Mt Washington is that there are extremely expensive properties and poor properties, but that is not true. Check out the east end of Mt Washington, where you can be walking distance from a grocery store, post office, pizza place, rite aid, ... Several properties along Bailey and Boggs have recently been purchased for development (but, on the east end, don't go far down the back side of the hill). Along the west side, there are several nice streets, and it is great to be walking distance from the view.

Greentree is just south of the city and is quite pretty and, well, green.

Old 02-27-2009, 03:48 PM

thank you for the fast response! I had looked at Mt. Washington very quick and alot of research i came up with was alot of petty crime nowadays from the youth. I think its a beautiful area and is still a choice for me. Just seems its hit or miss with the crime, one street is bad then a mile down the road it is a lovely neighborhood. Its location of course is great!

Old 02-27-2009, 03:59 PM

156 posts, read 296,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dstardubbin View Post
thank you for the fast response! I had looked at Mt. Washington very quick and alot of research i came up with was alot of petty crime nowadays from the youth. I think its a beautiful area and is still a choice for me. Just seems its hit or miss with the crime, one street is bad then a mile down the road it is a lovely neighborhood. Its location of course is great!
Much less distance than a mile can make a big difference. I wouldn't rule out Mt Washington - I believe it has more potential for becoming a great neighborhood than Brookline. If you could find a realtor who knows Mt Washington well, you might find a great deal.

Old 02-28-2009, 01:44 AM

5,802 posts, read 9,890,414 times
Brookline - is a Very OLD neighborhood....When i visited there once I felt like i wasnt even Pittsburgh anymore....Its Popular is mostly elderly or so it seems, and if you're loving the Pulse of the Southside, I dont see Brookline being you're type of Hood...

The Slopes are very much up and coming...With the Flats running out space, the Gentrification is starting to spill into the Slopes.

Old 02-28-2009, 03:45 PM

thank you for the replies! my initial thought was that the flats would be expanding into the slopes. And with the new "take back the hill" police project going on on the top i see that as a benefit as well. How do other people feel?

Old 02-28-2009, 11:43 PM

5,802 posts, read 9,890,414 times
I would look at Dormont before Brookline for what you're looking for.

Old 03-02-2009, 06:15 PM

1,014 posts, read 3,584,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeauty212 View Post
I would look at Dormont before Brookline for what you're looking for.
I second that. Dormont is cool. It is very walkable and there is ample nightlife along Liberty Ave. The bars can get really hopping. Also the area is very family friendly and safe. It has the best of both worlds.

Old 03-03-2009, 07:44 AM

4,359 posts, read 7,526,102 times
If you love the Southside Flats. You won't like Brookline. Try the Slopes. Brookline is never going to be as trendy as the Flats or even the Slopes. It also sounds like you may be better off waiting until you can afford the Flats because you may not be happy with anything else. I had a friend who bought in Brookline because he couldn't afford the Flats and three years later he was buying a house in the Flats.

Old 03-03-2009, 10:55 AM

1,519 posts, read 2,673,953 times
I live in Brookline and love it, but it is all in what you are looking for. You don't live in Brookline if you want to be "trendy" or in the middle of it all. If you like being to close to everything yet want to live in a quieter, slower paced, more relaxed area, then it is a good deal. Since there is a large older population, the houses tend to be in good shape when they do go on the market -- they may need cosmetic updating -- but chances are that the same owner has been in the house for decades taking care of it. But, it's unlikely to be a neighborhood that becomes highly sought after. That said, due to requirements that city workers live in the city, and since it has an abundance of detached homes with small yards, it is always a popular neighborhood with city employees.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh