Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-16-2010, 11:34 AM

2 posts, read 8,991 times

Advertisements

Hi all, this is my first post on the site. I'm a 26 year old single male and I currently live in the South Side Flats but am looking to make my first home purchase. I've exhausted many options on the Flats and I'm starting to look on the Slopes. I haven't really found any really comprehensive insight into the South Side Slopes. Here's what I'm generally looking for in a house:

1. Moderate price
2. Safe
3. I currently walk (or bike) to work Downtown and would like to continue doing so
4. A fixer-upper is ok but I'm not looking for a second job in redoing a house.
5. I'd like to stay close to excitement in the Flats.
6. I'd like a decent parking situation (my car has taken a beating on the streets in the Flats).

While this may sound like a steep list of requirements, I still feel like the Slopes as a lot to give. My biggest concern about the Slopes is the location in relation to some tough neighborhoods. I've barely spent any time on the Slopes although I have driven around the area recently (and even jogged through some parts) and while some areas look nice, they usually are right down the street from areas that arean't as nice.

Generally, I have read that the "Slopes" would really be considered any area east of 18th, north of Arlington, and west of Josephine.

All of these comments lead me to the general area around Salisbury Street. It seems somewhat level, easy to get to, and looks to be a nice area. However, it's right on the edge of what some contributors consider the "nice area of the slopes" and it's a stone-throw away from Arlington Heights and just down the hill from Arlington Avenue.

Does anyone have any insight into this area? Is this area safe? Would you suggest purchasing a house on this street? Do you have other suggestions for areas on the Slopes that I may have missed or overlooked?

Thanks for your comments.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2010, 12:44 PM

675 posts, read 2,097,481 times
The Slopes is an excellent neighborhood with some amazing perks. It gets a bad reputation because of the parts of the neighborhood that adjoin Allentown and Mt. Oliver, but if you stay closer to the Flats, you are pretty well insulated from these areas.

There are essentially four different parts of the Slopes as I see it, all with totally different feels to them.

1. The small pocket surrounding Brosville St, including Welsh Way, Nusser, Hackstown and St. Joseph Way. This area is very quiet, and feels very safe. It is extremely accessible to both the Flats and Downtown as there are public steps that make walking to Carson and 12th take less than 10 minutes. An additional perk of this area is that there is plenty of parking for most houses, and as usual on the Slopes, amazing views aplenty.

2. Pius St. This street feels almost like the Flats, with heavy traffic and lack of parking, but it is lined with nice houses, many with beautiful views. You wont save any money moving to this street, though, as these homes command a premium.

3. The area surrounding 18th Street between Winter Park and South Side Park. This area can feel a bid dilapidated in spots, and seems to be full of either college kids or people who are still around from the steel era. The streets are extremely steep and very narrow, and seem to be in somewhat poor condition, probably contributing to the overall lack of gentrification.

4. The area East of South Side Park, surrounded by Arlington Ave on the South, Josephine on the East and North. This area is the biggest, and has really neat pockets, and pockets that look like they need some work, but it is mostly a nice, safe neighborhood. You'll probably want to stay as far North as possible, but the farther South you go, you'll find better deals as Arlington Ave. marks the border of the Slopes and Arlington. This is the only part of the Slopes neighborhood that isn't insulated from a depressed neighborhood by a geographical feature. In this area, I always thought the area surrounding Stella St. was really cool.

How much are you planning on spending?

Old 09-16-2010, 01:30 PM

2 posts, read 8,991 times
Thanks for your comments. I was looking to spend less than $150k. Ideally, I'd like to pick something up at a good price that needs a little attention.

Would you suggest that Salisbury Street is too far south?

Old 09-16-2010, 02:06 PM

366 posts, read 943,943 times
You say you've exhausted all your options in the Flats, however I'd look again. There are several that look like they are move-in ready around the $150-$170 mark. Check out www.pittsburghmoves.com .

Old 09-17-2010, 06:59 AM

675 posts, read 2,097,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steelerfan43 View Post
Thanks for your comments. I was looking to spend less than $150k. Ideally, I'd like to pick something up at a good price that needs a little attention.

Would you suggest that Salisbury Street is too far south?
Salisbury is okay, but you're making considerable concessions being that far South. Walking to Carson and back would be a major endeavor as the hill between Salisbury and the Flats is steep. Also, you're as close as you can get to Arlington Ave., which makes Salisbury feel less isolated and enclosed than the rest of the Slopes neighborhood. For me, it makes me feel more vulnerable. But, for the price of the homes in that area, it's not bad.

My personal recommendation, look at 33 Hackstown St. It's selling for $95,000 and you can't beat Hackstown St. It's my favorite street in all of the Slopes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh