Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2009, 10:42 AM

21 posts, read 122,114 times

Advertisements

I live in a Heartland Home, and I'm pretty surprised but what all I'm reading here. All of my neighbors are happy with their homes and my family couldn't be happier. We built one of their smaller homes, but we never felt like they were cutting any corners. The sales person and supervisor were both easy to talk to and seemed knowledgeable.

We have had their warranty department out twice since we closed to fix some issues, but everything was taken care of. They are a family company that only builds here in Pittsburgh, so I have to believe they are going to take better care of their customers than a huge multi-state company like a Ryan or Maronda.

Just my opinions though....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2009, 02:17 PM

5 posts, read 22,386 times
I just moved into a Clairemont model a couple weeks ago. There have been a few issues, including a fairly major one where the wall didn't line up with the stairs. They are pretty much rebuilding the wall, including replacing a stud that warped.

Yeah, I think they cut corners where they can. Yeah, they really suck at communicating. Yeah, it can be really difficult to get ahold of anyone if you start having problems. But take pictures frequently, email them copies of the pictures that show problems (so you have timestamps), have them write down anything they promise to do, and don't hesitate to contact whoever you can when something seems wrong, you'll be fine.

Old 05-06-2009, 07:41 AM

9 posts, read 33,972 times
I have two friends who both recently moved into a Heartland, and they have nothing but good things to say. It sounds like they take care of issues (glad to hear they are fixing yours Warzinski! I live in a Ryan and THEY would have just ignored me), and I know they use better building products than either Ryan or Maronda. After I get my next pay increase I'm going to look into one for my family - our current home is starting to close in on us a little... plus Allegheny taxes are crazy.

Old 05-11-2009, 05:12 PM

3 posts, read 14,486 times
I recently moved into the area and after my wife and I were unable to find any existing homes that met our needs and wants, we decided to build. I asked as many people as I could about the builders in Pittsburgh. Many of my co-workers have built with both Ryan and Heartland. Having built a new home before, I was able to take all the positive and negative feedback and compare it to my past experience with a completely different builder. After talking with sales people from both builders and looking at the locations, we decided to build with Heartland.

I am amazed by some of the negative comments on here about Heartland. We have been in our home for 3 months, and couldn't be happier!!! My guess is that the people with the negative comments are most likely first-time new home buyers who had unrealistic expectations for what they were buying, or are simply negative people. Our Heartland Home and experience with Heartland Homes far exceeds our past building experience. Now we just need some grass!!!

Old 05-14-2009, 01:20 PM

bigboy54> Which community did you build in? Because you're right, this is my first new house. However, my mom built a new house a few years ago in Chicago, so I didn't bother commenting on little things like "This was nicked" or "This door went in backwards" or "The switch-to-outlet goes to the wrong outlet." All homes are going to have small problems, I think this is more about major problems, of which I think having a crooked wall counts.

Old 05-15-2009, 06:27 AM

21 posts, read 122,114 times
Like StyYellow said though... I'm glad to hear they are fixing your issue. I actually heard a story once were a guy had issues with his Maronda Home (I think the floor was wavy and warped all over) and the guy from Maronda actually told him "what do you expect? Go look at our model home - it has the same issues."

Wow.

Old 05-16-2009, 11:19 AM

3 posts, read 14,486 times
warzinski - I'd rather not say where I live (I like to stay anonymous online, you never know when someone may get offended and come looking for you). I agree, a crooked wall is unacceptable, sounds like they are fixing it though. I think the majority of the people complaining about Heartland Homes probably have totally unrealistic expectations or are uneducated about construction standards.

Like I said earlier, I have built before, as have many of my friends and family members. We are extremely happy with our Heartland Home!!!

Old 06-11-2009, 02:34 PM

On the off chance anyone is still paying attention to this thread, Heartland has finished fixing our wall and they just need to paint it again to blend it in with the rest of the house. Our lawn has also come in rather nicely. It took a while, but they did finally pull through for us. I was never quite happy with our construction supervisor, and I don't think it's a coincidence that a week ago he was removed from the situation, we got to talk to the drywall contractors directly, and the wall was fixed on their first try.

Conclusion: Buying a Heartland home was a good choice. I think we had an unfortunate situation, but if you have any problems with them, just be persistent. I would definitely recommend using them.

Old 06-12-2009, 12:14 PM

4,359 posts, read 7,526,102 times
I was just wondering why people build with Heartland. Is it that they are that much cheaper than other builders? Or is it that they can't find a lot anywhere else?

Old 06-15-2009, 07:22 AM

129 posts, read 408,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robrobrob View Post
I was just wondering why people build with Heartland. Is it that they are that much cheaper than other builders? Or is it that they can't find a lot anywhere else?
Huh? They're certainly not cheaper that other builders. They're by far the most expensive of the three big builders (Ryan and Maronda being the other two). And lots aren't that hard to find in Pittsburgh
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh