Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2007, 02:17 PM

5 posts, read 79,456 times

Advertisements

Has anyone built with Ryan Homes? I'm going to look over a contract tomorrow on the Dunkirk model. Base 245,900, lot premium 2,000, and about 70-80 in options.

I've asked and received a 3,000 credit as long as I didn't pursue questions regarding a completely one sided contract.

After a review of the price list, I just noticed that they didn't put on the 4th bedroom option and that happens to be 3,000. I wonder if I'll find this on the contract tomorrow. I'm going to make sure it is there and be a little stubborn if all of a sudden they want me to pay for it. Kind of negates my negotiated incentive.

Should I ask for greater incentives?

What about there service and quality?

I see all these sites about Ryan homes stink, but to me, it seems as if they don't have a very bad track record considering all the homes they have built.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2007, 09:30 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,282,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uskreppen View Post

I see all these sites about Ryan homes stink, but to me, it seems as if they don't have a very bad track record considering all the homes they have built.
I grew up in a Ryan Home in a Ryan housing plan. Although I don't personally have experience building with Ryan, my parents built the house with Ryan MANY years ago. I can say I know for a fact that they stand by the product. After our house was built, Ryan came back 6 months later and relaid our cement garage floor because the slope was off. Our neighbors got all new windows for some reason or another. I'd say the service is good. Ryan will stand by anything in the contract, and they also stand by anything not in the contract if it's an industry-standard type issue.

As for the quality, that's debatable. Ryan has that negative reputuation simply because they aren't the best of the best. There are definitely better quality housing plan developers out there. You'll pay a super high price for them too. Ryan Homes aren't dumps though. They build nice homes for the price. As with any product, pay a higher price if you want better quality. If Ryan offers the most for your price range, it's a no brainer unless you want to go for top quality and live in a smaller home. When it comes to resale prices, Ryan homes appreciate in price just like all the others.

Quote:
After a review of the price list, I just noticed that they didn't put on the 4th bedroom option and that happens to be 3,000. I wonder if I'll find this on the contract tomorrow. I'm going to make sure it is there and be a little stubborn if all of a sudden they want me to pay for it. Kind of negates my negotiated incentive.

If you were quoted a price for a 4th bedroom but the contract differs, you have every right to demand they rewrite the contract to reflect the originally agreed upon price. If you chose to negotiate incentives instead, that's your choice. But I agree you have every right to be stubborn since you were verbally quoted a different price.

Old 02-09-2007, 10:27 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,433,361 times
Law Student advice (limited since I'm forbidden by ABA regulation to dispense actual legal advice): Have a lawyer review the contract before you sign! Contracts drafted by one party with little to no input from the other side tend to be fraught with pitfalls for the non-drafting party. With this much at stake.... Lawyer, I tell ya!

Old 02-09-2007, 10:45 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,282,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
With this much at stake.... Lawyer, I tell ya!
True. However, he already said that he's interested in the incentives that come with not picking apart the contract.

Old 02-09-2007, 11:15 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,433,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
True. However, he already said that he's interested in the incentives that come with not picking apart the contract.
And that can end up costing him in the end. Take it from someone who has read dozens of judicial rulings with regard to contract law. Besides, there's a (small) chance that he runs it by his lawyer who in turn says, "yep, this looks sound, there's nothing to pick apart here."

Absent that.... everyone's risk threshold is different, but I wouldn't bet $3,000 on a contract binding me to a several hundred thousand dollar purchase. In fact, with anything more than a cell phone service agreement, I'd never accept a clause that binds me to the other party's understanding of the terms. Particularly with this much at stake, that's a burden that should be clearly hashed out and shared by both parties to the agreement.

Old 02-10-2007, 09:00 AM

Default thanks

I'm not too worried about the language in the contract. In the end, they will want to deliver a product that is satisfactory. I have some negotiating skills so I'm not afraid to go up against these young sales reps. In fact my rep was asking me if I purposely led him into a lenghty discussion on the contract to get concessions. Not really, but I have found that it is better to show the sales rep how detail oriented you are, so he can warn the production manager that this couple won't settle for sub-standard work. If it get's me concessions to sign, then that is a bonus.

PS: He already told me that our meeting with the Production manager would be a long one so I can discuss certain pet-peeves I have about construction. For instance, there is no reason to put two pieces of vinyl siding between windows when a single piece would fit. etc. etc. The sales rep told me that if I told this production manager everything I will be looking for that he would pay EXTRA attention to the details since the last thing he wants is daily calls from me.

Well, I meet in a couple of hours. Why is it that every time I buy a new car or new house that the total price is exactly twice that what I paid the last time. lol

Old 02-12-2007, 07:03 PM

1,453 posts, read 5,157,078 times
Default Ryan Homes

UKSREPPEN,

I'm a realtor in Charlotte, NC and deal with Ryan Homes all the time. They are a reputable builder here. I'm shocked that they bribed you into signing away your right to representation. In NC you have the legal right to be represented in a sale and if you bring your Buyer's Agent to contract the builder pays his/her commission; so, it's at no charge to the buyer. The buyer then gets an agent, an advocate, present at contract signing to ensure that all promised concessions are in writing. The agent then monitors progress on construction, schedules and attends inspections, negotiates issues, follows up on "punch list" repairs and accompanies the buyer to closing to ensure that the HUD statement is accurate.

No one should EVER go to a new home construction site and get into contract with the onsite Sales Agent. That agent works for and represents the builder. The contract is so thick that the buyer has no idea what rights they are signing away.

Thanks for the "Heads Up" on that.

Old 02-12-2007, 08:24 PM

191 posts, read 1,003,198 times
Quote:
Has anyone built with Ryan Homes? I'm going to look over a contract tomorrow on the Dunkirk model. Base 245,900, lot premium 2,000, and about 70-80 in options.

I've asked and received a 3,000 credit as long as I didn't pursue questions regarding a completely one sided contract.

there're poorly built - stay away from them

Old 02-12-2007, 08:57 PM

1,453 posts, read 5,157,078 times
I beg to differ DonnaPGH. Ryan Homes in the Fort Mill area and in South Charlotte that I have done business with have been well built and David Staley the service manager there does an excellent job with warranty service.

Old 02-13-2007, 02:27 PM

Default I jumped right in.

I was able to negotiate discounts during the contract signing that were double what I was initially expecting so I'm pretty satisfied. I did not really know that you could bring an agent to new construction but this was confirmed at my signing. Hindsight 20/20, I agree that bringing in your own agent would be a good idea.

After the initial shock of signing the agreement, I'm quite excited to go forward. I interviewed two of my future neighbors and they said that every house was built on schedule and that the follow up items were minimal (i.e nail pops, etc.)

I think the quality of the work depends upon the local sub-contractor that actually performs the work. It seems as if we have a good bunch in the Pittsburgh area.

Anyways, I'm glad I signed when I did. My wife loves the plan and location and there were a dozen lots open when we started 30 days ago. Now they have about five. I guess the housing market in Pittsburgh isn't suffering, yet.

Thanks for all the comments and wish me luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh