Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-09-2008, 03:40 PM

2,420 posts, read 4,727,864 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunil's Dad View Post
I'm not disagreeing with you one bit. The only reason I mentioned the Japanese immigrants especially, is to signify that the cookies were of Japanese origin even though it was Americans in America who created them.
I know...thanks for backing me up!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2008, 09:38 AM

1 posts, read 1,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pman View Post
I see there aren't very many hispanics in Pitt, would you say there are problems with racism or cultural problems?
As one of the few Hispanic women that does not consider herself "white" or "black", but Hispanic in the Pittsburgh, I see the black/white issue from an outsiders point of view. Pittsburgh is VERY segregated. We moved recently from Swissvale to the North Hills (Ross Township). My son went from a class that was all black (except for himself and 2 white children), to a class with not one single black child in his entire grade, and maybe 5 in the entire school. I have friends from different races, and I used to have to go out with my white friends seperate from my black friends, but we have recently started going out as one group, and no matter where we go, it always ends up with one race being uncomfortable because they are the only ones from their race there. It is a very sad state of affairs, and there is still a good deal of racism from both sides

Old 11-06-2008, 02:34 PM

10,237 posts, read 16,904,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShannynB View Post
it always ends up with one race being uncomfortable because they are the only ones from their race there. It is a very sad state of affairs, and there is still a good deal of racism from both sides
is it this way because people hang out in neighborhoods rather than downtown? is it cultural differences? (for example, I like good beer, but most black places I've been, even the upscale ones, don't serve good beer). or is it racism? as a hispanic, do you experience racism on a daily basis in pitt?
the one exception has always been jazz. the crowd is almost always mixed. I find hispanic places intimidating (nightclubs, not restaurants) because I'm such a bad dancer and latin men seem to always be good thogh I do like the music.

Old 11-12-2008, 07:24 PM

8 posts, read 24,380 times
I wonder if there are non-brown skinned Hispanics? I'm an 1/2 MX (fair skinned and green eyes) and am considering a move there. Not everyone fits into the same bucket but isn't Pittsburgh one big melting pot? We're all Americans.

Last edited by springerjump; 11-12-2008 at 07:25 PM.. Reason: forgot something.

Old 11-12-2008, 11:51 PM

3,306 posts, read 4,177,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by springerjump View Post
I wonder if there are non-brown skinned Hispanics? I'm an 1/2 MX (fair skinned and green eyes) and am considering a move there. Not everyone fits into the same bucket but isn't Pittsburgh one big melting pot? We're all Americans.
No, Pittsburgh isn't one big melting pot. Its not like Los Angeles or NYC.

Old 11-13-2008, 10:47 AM

thought this might be of interest
[SIZE=2]Once again, Phila. is gateway for immigrants | Philadelphia Inquirer | 11/13/2008 (http://www.philly.com/inquirer/local/20081113_Once_again__Phila__is_gateway_for_immigra nts.html - broken link)[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]
Quote:

Since 2000, nearly 75 percent of the growth in the region's labor force is attributable to the employment of immigrants. Although a common stereotype portrays immigrants working in low-skill, low-wage jobs, a substantial number are self-employed entrepreneurs, or work in such highly skilled professions as medicine and the pharmaceutical industry....

At the start of the 20th century, Philadelphia ranked third behind New York and Chicago as "a central-city immigrant gateway," according to the report. By century's end, New York and Chicago were still in the top three.
Philadelphia, however, had slipped below 10th place. And as immigration here stalled, the region became almost entirely native-born.
Immigration surged again, nationally and locally, in the 1990s, and crested nationally in 2000. But between 2000 and 2006, Greater Philadelphia's immigrant population began growing again - by 113,000, which was nearly the number of arrivals in the entire previous decade. Today, with more than 500,000 foreign-born residents in the 11 counties, the region "has a diverse mix of immigrants and refugees from Asia (39 percent), Latin America and the Caribbean (28 percent), Europe (23 percent) and Africa (8 percent)," according to the report.
originally, I just wanted to know if the lack of immigration came from lack of jobs and advertising or if there was hostility towards immigrants.
btw, the post gazette recently had a writeup on an argentine coffee shop wehre they teach spanish. that might be a good place to start.
[/SIZE]

Old 11-13-2008, 02:37 PM

6,327 posts, read 9,200,751 times
Quote:
thought this might be of interest
[SIZE=2]Once again, Phila. is gateway for immigrants | Philadelphia Inquirer | 11/13/2008 (http://www.philly.com/inquirer/local/20081113_Once_again__Phila__is_gateway_for_immigra nts.html - broken link)[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]
originally, I just wanted to know if the lack of immigration came from lack of jobs and advertising or if there was hostility towards immigrants.
btw, the post gazette recently had a writeup on an argentine coffee shop wehre they teach spanish. that might be a good place to start.
[/SIZE]
All of what you stated. Immigrants who come here are met with jobs locals are already competing for, and sentiment from natives.

Old 11-13-2008, 03:16 PM

2 posts, read 2,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by springerjump View Post
There are. I am what I guess you could call a "Hispanic" of European descent and you would never know I'm not an Italian-American like my husband unless you knew my personal history. 6th generation American, well educated professional, brown hair/eyes, white skin. I personally know or know of a few other individuals like myself here in the Pittsburgh area, so I'm not the only one either. So, yup, we do exist.

And no, in my experience Pittsburgh is definitely not one big melting pot, a great deal of black/white segregation still exists and is part of every day life around here. That said, I've never experienced any discrimination or been treated in any way differently, but I really have no way of knowing if that might be because I blend in so well and fly completely under the radar most of the time.

In all honesty, I can see someone that fits the "Hispanic" stereotype having a totally different experience than I have though, depending on which part of the city/suburbs they live in, the sort of people they interact with on a daily basis, what their language skills are, etc.

Old 11-13-2008, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyeBlu View Post
In all honesty, I can see someone that fits the "Hispanic" stereotype having a totally different experience than I have though, depending on which part of the city/suburbs they live in, the sort of people they interact with on a daily basis, what their language skills are, etc.
you mean of mixed descent?
with all due respect, after 6 generations you're nothing but american.

Old 11-17-2008, 02:28 PM

2 posts, read 2,766 times
Quote:
you mean of mixed descent?
Of mestizo descent, yes, which seems to be the racial makeup most readily recognized as "Hispanic". Not that it should even matter, because a "Hispanic" can be any of any race or racial combination but many people in the US don't seem to realize that.

Quote:
with all due respect, after 6 generations you're nothing but american.
Oh, I absolutely agree with you that I'm nothing but 100% American (and quite proud of it!), but maybe I should explain that I was actually born in Puerto Rico and that tidbit of personal information tends to short out some people's perception of me in sometimes quite hilarious ways. Never mind that PR has been part of the United States since 1898 and that my own ancestors immigrated from Europe to the continental US in the first half of the 19th century before some of them found their way down to the Caribbean after the Spanish-American war, to some people I'm still a "Hispanic" even if everything else about me tells them otherwise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh