Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2022, 10:28 AM

1,170 posts, read 537,864 times

Advertisements

i see the new bakery cafe right down the street from me, georgie's corner cafe, is hiring

i'm in the market for a new day job and in many ways that place would be a perfect fit for me

except for one thing - i'm not vaccinated (my owner forgot to take me to the vet)

oh well
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2022, 10:36 AM

41,016 posts, read 18,239,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BUILD PENN SQUARE View Post
i see the new bakery cafe right down the street from me, georgie's corner cafe, is hiring

i'm in the market for a new day job and in many ways that place would be a perfect fit for me

except for one thing - i'm not vaccinated (my owner forgot to take me to the vet)

oh well
Wow, can’t believe that nonsense is still going on.

Old 06-06-2022, 11:18 AM

when dining meets shooting

Fudge Farm closing its South Side location due to recent surge in shootings, violence

https://www.cbsnews.com/pittsburgh/n...CNM-00-10abd1h

"A popular East Carson Street spot for milkshakes, burgers, and fries is closing its doors due to a recent spike in violence, including multiple recent shootings.
Fudge Farm announced in a social media post that its East Carson Street location will no longer be open.
The company says that they can no longer ask teenage children, or anyone jeopardize their safety in the current environment in order to work for them."

smart move

Old 06-06-2022, 11:28 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,682,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by svband76 View Post
I think it was merely the number of candidates in the primary that got Dr. Oz the win. McCormick didn't excite many voters. Conor Lamb even less. Lamb was the darling of the Mt Lebanon Moms but not much more. Anyway should be an interesting race.
This was the primary. Lamb ran in the Democratic primary, McCormick and Oz in the Republican primary. They were not running against each other.

The number of Republican candidates for United States Senator obviously had something to do with it. Oz won with only 31.21% of the Republican vote.

Old 06-06-2022, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUILD PENN SQUARE View Post
when dining meets shooting

Fudge Farm closing its South Side location due to recent surge in shootings, violence

https://www.cbsnews.com/pittsburgh/n...CNM-00-10abd1h

"A popular East Carson Street spot for milkshakes, burgers, and fries is closing its doors due to a recent spike in violence, including multiple recent shootings.
Fudge Farm announced in a social media post that its East Carson Street location will no longer be open.
The company says that they can no longer ask teenage children, or anyone jeopardize their safety in the current environment in order to work for them."

smart move
More violent losers sprawling into more areas…and it’ll continue to get worse.

Old 06-07-2022, 08:24 AM

437 posts, read 188,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erieguy View Post
More violent losers sprawling into more areas…and it’ll continue to get worse.

This is how urban blight starts. Crime (and a lack of response by local leaders, i.e. Democrats), push out businesses along with residents who are financially able to move out of those areas. Which then leaves nothing but boarded up buildings and high crime. The low income residents then get stuck in that cesspool of criminal activity.

I hope this doesn't happen to the South Side. I don't want it happening anywhere, but people sometimes get exactly what they voted for, sadly.

Old 06-07-2022, 08:53 AM

3,711 posts, read 2,706,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony_Soprano View Post
This is how urban blight starts. Crime (and a lack of response by local leaders, i.e. Democrats), push out businesses along with residents who are financially able to move out of those areas. Which then leaves nothing but boarded up buildings and high crime. The low income residents then get stuck in that cesspool of criminal activity.

I hope this doesn't happen to the South Side. I don't want it happening anywhere, but people sometimes get exactly what they voted for, sadly.
Perhaps the businesses attracting riff raff and criminal activity on the South Side need to shoulder some of the responsibility and start acting like upstanding contributors to the community. I find that most owners of these nuisance places go home to their quiet neighborhoods in the suburbs.

Old 06-07-2022, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Perhaps the businesses attracting riff raff and criminal activity on the South Side need to shoulder some of the responsibility and start acting like upstanding contributors to the community. I find that most owners of these nuisance places go home to their quiet neighborhoods in the suburbs.
god is that the truth - could instantly name a dozen small city businesses owned and operated by people who live in the suburbs

Old 06-07-2022, 09:57 AM

437 posts, read 188,164 times
Quote:

And what, pray tell, would residing in the same area as the business do to deter riff raff? It's a sincere question. I don't know that living in the same neighborhood would prevent the shootings that take place seemingly on a weekly basis. Would you also suggest that the employees of these establishments live in the same neighborhood as the businesses for which they work?

And, which places are nuisances? Are you referencing the bars and nightclubs?

Old 06-07-2022, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Lol. These businesses didn’t have a skyrocketing violence problem with riff-raff up until the last year+. Why is it all of a sudden you think they’re the problem for attracting riff-raff now?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh