Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2018, 07:26 AM

123 posts, read 139,224 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
MWS was first colonized by "sweat equity" folks back in the 1970s, as I said. Some total gut jobs are still available though. This home in Deutschtown needs a crapton of work, but has a great location and would sell well if fixed up. It's not really habitable as it is though. Plus it's in the historic district. Or if you want a real project, take this on in Manchester. Live in the finished carriage house behind while you deal with the gut job mess inside the main house.

Lawrenceville's issue is that cheap flippers have been buying up everything and putting in Home Depot level finishes since 2011 or so. There's a lot of mid-range habitable stuff still on the market, but the great deals are mostly gone.
Great response. I don’t know if I can convince the significant other to go full gut haha. I know finding a happy medium will be tough though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2018, 07:34 AM

3,112 posts, read 2,936,664 times
What neighborhoods are still buy cheap and get a good return in 2-3 years? The areas that seem to be no brainers (Lawrenceville, Bloomfield, etc) don't really have any cheap houses anymore. Heck I just checked Brookline and there is only 4 under 100k, two of which are not even livable.

Old 07-16-2018, 07:49 AM

8,090 posts, read 7,012,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PghYinzer View Post
What neighborhoods are still buy cheap and get a good return in 2-3 years? The areas that seem to be no brainers (Lawrenceville, Bloomfield, etc) don't really have any cheap houses anymore. Heck I just checked Brookline and there is only 4 under 100k, two of which are not even livable.
Inventory is low, but I’d bet on Uptown

https://www.redfin.com/PA/Pittsburgh...m_content=link

Old 07-16-2018, 07:55 AM

14,357 posts, read 17,151,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
Inventory is low, but I’d bet on Uptown

https://www.redfin.com/PA/Pittsburgh...m_content=link
Three years might be a bit too soon for a turnaround in Uptown (will the BRT be done by then?), but I do think that rowhouse if fixed up would sell for significantly more.

Old 07-16-2018, 08:26 AM

I really love that Manchester house. The inside looks rotted though, probably a $150+k gut on top of that $225k. I wonder if we could get that down and I could convince the fiancee. How bad could living in that carriage house be with two dogs? haha

Old 07-16-2018, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
Three years might be a bit too soon for a turnaround in Uptown (will the BRT be done by then?), but I do think that rowhouse if fixed up would sell for significantly more.
Anecdotal, but we have acquaintances who sold an Uptown rowhouse for 300k+, last year.

Old 07-16-2018, 09:25 AM

130 posts, read 123,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PghYinzer View Post
The OP may want to keep Millvale in mind. Not a lot of inventory, but sometimes something pops up every now and then that really tempts me. The housing stock isn't great (similar to Bloomfield), but Millvale is a cool little town in its own right (2 breweries, French bakery, coffee shop, record store, etc), and has the advantage of being right across the bridge from Lawrenceville. I would imagine a renovated home near the Millvale amenities would appreciate well--especially in 2-3 yrs.

Old 07-16-2018, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rust Belt Kid View Post
The OP may want to keep Millvale in mind. Not a lot of inventory, but sometimes something pops up every now and then that really tempts me. The housing stock isn't great (similar to Bloomfield), but Millvale is a cool little town in its own right (2 breweries, French bakery, coffee shop, record store, etc), and has the advantage of being right across the bridge from Lawrenceville. I would imagine a renovated home near the Millvale amenities would appreciate well--especially in 2-3 yrs.
I never hear anything about Millvale anymore. Is Millville is gentrification/rejuvenation still happening, or did that shift back to the city?

Old 07-16-2018, 10:03 AM

Quote:
I never hear anything about Millvale anymore. Is Millville is gentrification/rejuvenation still happening, or did that shift back to the city?
Interested to hear more about this too.

Old 07-16-2018, 10:21 AM

3,112 posts, read 2,936,664 times
Quote:

I always thought that those who sought refugee in Millvale from Lawrenceville housing prices were those in the service industry and artists who could not afford Lawrenceville anymore. So everyone was talking about it as a place that was close to the hottest markets but was still affordable, but not one that was ever going to be as much of a hot market itself.

So, one has to ask, do people want to live in Millvale because it is close to Lawrenceville or do people have to live in Millvale to be close to Lawrenceville. People who can afford to buy in Lawrenceville have plenty of other options n the city, so the draw of Millvale is lessened.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh