Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2018, 08:22 PM

2 posts, read 1,514 times

Advertisements

Hey there.

Did some searching in the forum but wanted some data that’s a bit more recent. Our family is looking to relocate to Pittsburgh and would like to start looking for a home. The searches are all over the place from Churchill, glenshaw, pennhills, Dormont and so on.

I would be commuting to Lawrenceville for work.

Where should we look with a budget around 150 to 250? 300 max

Would like a single family home, decent schools, no crime......the basics.

All comments are thanked up front
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2018, 08:42 PM

1,701 posts, read 1,612,644 times
If you're commuting to Lawrenceville, I'd really strongly recommend Reserve Township/Millvale/Shaler in your price range. You can get a great house and it's an easy drive. You might even find something in Etna/Sharpsburg/Aspinwall, though it will be harder to find and probably a smaller home. The other places where you're looking will make it really hard to get to Lawrenceville imho, unless you truly don't mind a long drive.

There are examples of the kinds of listings I like in this area:

https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...2_M39587-56958
https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...9_M35152-22112
https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...9_M32749-37918

Honestly if it was me I'd look in the city too -- we have kids and are happy with the Pittsburgh public schools -- but it sounds like you've already decided you want a suburban location and district.

Old 01-21-2018, 08:44 PM

11,086 posts, read 8,615,010 times
Shaler is an easy commute to Lawreneville, with homes in that price range.

https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...-100000-250000

Old 01-21-2018, 09:08 PM

2 posts, read 1,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogersParkTransplant View Post
If you're commuting to Lawrenceville, I'd really strongly recommend Reserve Township/Millvale/Shaler in your price range. You can get a great house and it's an easy drive. You might even find something in Etna/Sharpsburg/Aspinwall, though it will be harder to find and probably a smaller home. The other places where you're looking will make it really hard to get to Lawrenceville imho, unless you truly don't mind a long drive.

There are examples of the kinds of listings I like in this area:

https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...2_M39587-56958
https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...9_M35152-22112
https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...9_M32749-37918

Honestly if it was me I'd look in the city too -- we have kids and are happy with the Pittsburgh public schools -- but it sounds like you've already decided you want a suburban location and district.

Well the wife absolutely loves the city but I’m semi old school and just don’t want to hear neighbors while living in a row home.

Old 01-21-2018, 09:27 PM

1,701 posts, read 1,612,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kneredout View Post
Well the wife absolutely loves the city but I’m semi old school and just don’t want to hear neighbors while living in a row home.
Hmm -- if it's really about housing stock, there are many Pittsburgh neighborhoods that have handsome old houses and reasonably sized yards, but are still in the city. Here's a listing I really like in Brighton Heights, which has very nice homes. It's a large area and some parts of the neighborhood are more desirable than others, but it can be a wonderful choice depending on what you're looking for.

https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...ex=PA605156017

It used to be possible to find great homes in your price range in East End city neighborhoods like Highland Park and Morningside -- the prices are creeping up, but I would still give it a look, and others on here can chime in with good listings. (There's also Lawrenceville itself, but that's mostly row homes and getting wildly expensive, so I can see where you're not really into it.)

Of course there are other reasons why the suburbs can be attractive, too. Many feel that the areas just across the Allegheny from Lawrenceville/Highland Park are in some ways the best of both worlds, and quite close to the city. Still, depending on what exactly you're looking for the city can be a great place for a family, too.

Old 01-21-2018, 09:34 PM

3,600 posts, read 3,449,428 times
If you are looking for great schools, I would looking the fox chapel school district, it is very close to Lawrenceville. Shaler will have more of a housing stock to choose from but the district is not as good.

Old 01-21-2018, 09:37 PM
gg

26,134 posts, read 26,231,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kneredout View Post
H

I would be commuting to Lawrenceville for work.

Where should we look with a budget around 150 to 250? 300 max

Would like a single family home, decent schools, no crime......the basics.
I would search by school district. I would look at Fox Chapel, Hampton and Shaler in that order. You will get the most bang for your buck in Shaler Area. All are low crime and all can be gotten into for $250K. My short list would be O'Hara, Aspinwall, Blawnox, Hampton, Shaler. All have easy commutes to Lawrenceville.

Old 01-21-2018, 09:39 PM

8,090 posts, read 7,046,898 times
Aspinwall.

Old 01-21-2018, 11:09 PM

595 posts, read 607,096 times
Green Tree. Short commute. Good schools. Close enough to the fun. Lots of good homes in your price range.

Old 01-21-2018, 11:24 PM

3,462 posts, read 4,676,638 times
Crafton is right next to Green Tree. Essentially the same commute. Good schools. The main difference is that Crafton has big old houses from the early 1900s. Prices range from about $200-$300k.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh