Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2018, 11:32 PM

1,701 posts, read 1,607,330 times

Advertisements

I like Crafton/Green Tree a lot. The commute would be a pain, but if you can travel in slightly off-peak times it's not all that bad, and even if you end up sitting in traffic the distance isn't enormous. We've gotten stuck in atrocious traffic near the Fort Pitt tunnel at rush hour, but I'm sure the locals figure out how to cope.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2018, 06:03 AM

8,090 posts, read 7,009,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodjules View Post
Crafton is right next to Green Tree. Essentially the same commute. Good schools. The main difference is that Crafton has big old houses from the early 1900s. Prices range from about $200-$300k.
Carlynton is widely regarded as an underperforming school district and would be an absolute pain of a commute to Lawrenceville.

Old 01-22-2018, 07:01 AM

1,577 posts, read 1,290,599 times
really don't see why you would look at anything other than the northern suburbs/city neighborhoods around l'ville here. shaler is a great choice and there are some charming houses but ross also has similar housing stock with a notably better ranked school district, but prices are a bit higher (although taxes are lower than shaler due to the school district). both will be great commutes. i don't think you will find anything in FC without compromising. Morningside is a very cute neighborhood with some great houses as well. west view would be comparable to crafton from a housing standpoint with an easy commute to lville as well.

Old 01-22-2018, 07:32 AM

3,711 posts, read 2,745,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogersParkTransplant View Post
I like Crafton/Green Tree a lot. The commute would be a pain, but if you can travel in slightly off-peak times it's not all that bad, and even if you end up sitting in traffic the distance isn't enormous. We've gotten stuck in atrocious traffic near the Fort Pitt tunnel at rush hour, but I'm sure the locals figure out how to cope.
I agree. I like your Brighton Heights suggestion. Why not? This is a neighborhood with great homes worth taking a chance on. Could be safer but .. Remember the budget max is $200k. Forget Aspinwall, Fox Chapel.

Old 01-22-2018, 07:43 AM

8,090 posts, read 7,009,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zalewskimm View Post
I agree. I like your Brighton Heights suggestion. Why not? This is a neighborhood with great homes worth taking a chance on. Could be safer but .. Remember the budget max is $200k. Forget Aspinwall, Fox Chapel.
The OP specified 150-250, with a max of 300k. 250 is doable in Asminwall, and seems like no-brainer for someone who wants good schools and easy commute to Lawrenceville.

https://www.redfin.com/PA/Aspinwall/.../home/74512194
https://www.redfin.com/PA/Pittsburgh.../home/74512837
https://www.redfin.com/PA/Pittsburgh.../home/74512669

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kneredout View Post
Hey there.

Did some searching in the forum but wanted some data that’s a bit more recent. Our family is looking to relocate to Pittsburgh and would like to start looking for a home. The searches are all over the place from Churchill, glenshaw, pennhills, Dormont and so on.

I would be commuting to Lawrenceville for work.

Where should we look with a budget around 150 to 250? 300 max

Would like a single family home, decent schools, no crime......the basics.

All comments are thanked up front

Old 01-22-2018, 07:57 AM
gg

26,134 posts, read 26,121,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
The OP specified 150-250, with a max of 300k. 250 is doable in Asminwall, and seems like no-brainer for someone who wants good schools and easy commute to Lawrenceville.

https://www.redfin.com/PA/Aspinwall/.../home/74512194
https://www.redfin.com/PA/Pittsburgh.../home/74512837
https://www.redfin.com/PA/Pittsburgh.../home/74512669
I agree and parts of O'Hara around Aspinwall should be on the short list. If you want good schools and close to Lawrenceville it would be my first choice. There are a bunch of ways to get to Lawrenceville from Aspinwall as well, not to mention pretty good bicycling to there if you wanted. Good find on those homes. I haven't looked around for a while.

Old 01-22-2018, 08:52 AM

3,462 posts, read 4,662,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
Carlynton is widely regarded as an underperforming school district and would be an absolute pain of a commute to Lawrenceville.
How it's regarded isn't how it is. My neighbors with kids are all well educated professionals. They all send their kids to Carlynton schools and they're quite happy with their choice. They're also very involved with the schools. At least two of them are on or have been on the school board. If my kids were school age, I'd have no hesitation sending them to Carlynton schools.

Commute to Lawrenceville isn't the best, but you can avoid the tunnel by going through the West End. I'm afraid that most commutes here seem relatively easy to me compared to the traffic and distances of my commutes when I lived in the Bay Area. My last commute there was roughly 50 miles each way and took from 1.5 to 3 hours each way depending on traffic.

Old 01-22-2018, 10:12 AM

4,359 posts, read 7,564,874 times
This is a tough request not because there aren't options but because the price range is huge.

You will get more house in Shaler than in the Hampton or the Fox Chapel Area School District. I would also look in the North Hills School District. Four years ago friends bought a place in Shaler for 200,000. They looked all over the North Hills and they thought that with their budget Shaler was the right fit.

Really depends on how much you want to spend and how much house you want for your money. If you want a more modern house with a master bath you may want to spend closer to your max budget.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh