Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2017, 11:48 AM

1,183 posts, read 2,159,273 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGH423 View Post
Thanks so much. That actually raises another question. If I were take an Uber to the city and have a few drinks, would I be guaranteed to be able to get an Uber back? I had an instance in Wexford around 10 PM once where no Uber would come. I actually dropped my car keys in the locked overnight container at a dealership and then couldn't get an Uber. Gosh I panicked but eventually found someone to take me home. I assume the city has better Uber service though.
Yes. Depending on how long ago that was, Wexford may not have even been within the "service area" at that time. I have taken Ubers at all hours of the day and night, in extremely varied parts of town (Downtown, Bloomfield, Lawrenceville, Squirrel Hill, Northside, South Side, West End) and have never waited more than 10 minutes ever.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2017, 11:55 AM

110 posts, read 96,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpipkins2 View Post
I had to pick my daughter up in Manchester last Friday. I really love Manchester and the house was beautiful!! On our way back to Rt.28 I had a wise idea to take E. Ohio Street. OMG! WTF goes on over there after midnight? It was very dark and looked like The Night of the Living Dead. Obvious prostitution and drug sales. The street was packed. I was shocked and it looked like Rosedale and Tioga street in the 1990's.
Was this during the Deutschtown Music Festival? It's usually not that crowded, but the whole area was packed during the festival.

Old 07-28-2017, 12:20 PM

1,524 posts, read 1,337,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steindle View Post
Yes. Depending on how long ago that was, Wexford may not have even been within the "service area" at that time. I have taken Ubers at all hours of the day and night, in extremely varied parts of town (Downtown, Bloomfield, Lawrenceville, Squirrel Hill, Northside, South Side, West End) and have never waited more than 10 minutes ever.
It was only about a year ago. I know Wexford is an area that Uber services. It's just that no Uber driver wanted to go out that far to pick me. I kept trying. Eventually one Uber driver agreed to come pick me up but then he called me to ask where Wexford was and changed his mind.

Old 07-29-2017, 10:11 AM

1,524 posts, read 1,337,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
If you're taking about the East End, I'd say your best bet is to look in Highland Park. There still are houses in that price range in walking distance of Bryant Street. The commute to McCandless would be more like 30+ minutes rather than 20+ minutes like on the North Side, but it's not horrendous. Besides that, the quickest place tween the rivers would likely be Lawrenceville, where finding a detached house at that price range may be difficult (but not impossible).

Mount Washington also might be worth looking at, because even though it's further as the crow flies, there is more highway driving. I've never been impressed with the housing stock up there however - not as much character to start out with, and what there is tends to have been remuddled a lot.
Is Bryant St. the main/only walkable business part of Highland Park? I went there yesterday. I liked it and thought the surrounding area was pretty but I definitely couldn't justify having a 35 min commute each way to live there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh