Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-01-2017, 04:07 PM

7,420 posts, read 2,720,474 times

Advertisements

Yet another disintegration! Is it the next redundant post that will convince either side to lay down their arms????? This war has been going on between the usual suspects, on this forum, for YEARS, hasn't it? Please wake me when it is over!

Or let me know when one of you decide to do something that could be a part of a solution and not the problems you shout about! Either side..................

Last edited by corpgypsy; 04-01-2017 at 04:31 PM..

Old 04-01-2017, 04:57 PM

32,623 posts, read 77,739,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by corpgypsy View Post
Yet another disintegration! Is it the next redundant post that will convince either side to lay down their arms????? This war has been going on between the usual suspects, on this forum, for YEARS, hasn't it? Please wake me when it is over!

Or let me know when one of you decide to do something that could be a part of a solution and not the problems you shout about! Either side..................
I'm going to submit my land bank proposal (not as rudimentary as presented here, of course) to the city for consideration in long-range land use policy and affordable housing planning. I'm privileged. As rough as things seem for me right now within two years I'll be debt-free and able to commit ~$800/month towards saving for a home. I'm worried about those who might not be able to afford a home here ever. The answer to the city's affordable rental crisis shouldn't be "just buy a house because it's cheaper, and then shut up" because that doesn't work for everyone affected by it. This city doesn't seem to be working quickly enough to address median rents rising more rapidly than median real wages for the working-class. Considering a large part of the allure of this city is its affordability for housing, once we lose that edge we'll have an even tougher time competing with all of the cities that have better weather, better wages, better infrastructure, nicer people, and more affordable rentals than us. We can't lose that "affordable" edge, but given currents trends we WILL without intervention.

When I'm confident that we have an elected official as mayor who fully appreciates the levity of median rents rising faster than median real wages for the working-class, then I'll be less of an alarmist. This isn't 2007 Pittsburgh anymore, but many Pittsburgh employers still pay wages like it is. If real wages aren't going to rise, then median rents need to plateau. If neither is going to happen I'm going to be embroiled within lengthy debates on here anytime anyone initiates a thread regarding gentrification. This thread fits those parameters since Whole Foods only pulled out because they were afraid of the "Black Homes Matter" movement.

Old 04-01-2017, 11:03 PM

3,260 posts, read 2,354,033 times
>>Do you really want a nurse who's only motivated by money? Think about that.<<

Sure! Why not? The best doctors and the best hospitals have the best nurses because they pay more! duh.

Old 04-01-2017, 11:28 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 26,042,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
There has been no working class white displacement. The old-timers cashed out.
Wow, what an amazing view. I really don't know what to say other than your post is very distorted to the point.... well I am speechless. Maybe it was meant to be a joke?

Old 04-02-2017, 06:28 AM

2,401 posts, read 2,108,265 times
Anybody here remember the cottages on Forbes that are now owned by Walnut Capital? That is a true example of working class and student renters being forced out by a developer and I had numerous friends affected by that forced removal. It is rare, but it does happen. Those places were inhabited by artists, musicians, teachers, it was like a Bohemian Melrose Place and a lot of fun.

Old 04-02-2017, 06:29 AM

8,090 posts, read 6,986,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by norcider View Post
Anybody here remember the cottages on Forbes that are now owned by Walnut Capital? That is a true example of working class and student renters being forced out by a developer and I had numerous friends affected by that forced removal. It is rare, but it does happen. Those places were inhabited by artists, musicians, teachers, it was like a Bohemian Melrose Place and a lot of fun.
So, do you agree that that phenomenon did not happen in Lawrenceville or Polish Hill?

Old 04-02-2017, 06:46 AM

2,401 posts, read 2,108,265 times
Quote:
So, do you agree that that phenomenon did not happen in Lawrenceville or Polish Hill?
I can't say for sure but I suspect the older residents moved out. They would have been home owners and not renters primarily. Lawrencevile wasn't a desirable place to live for young people and it was very insular.

Old 04-02-2017, 09:03 AM

5,097 posts, read 2,324,418 times
Quote:
So how do you know so much about Lawrenceville and Polish Hill? Why won't you tell us? What's the big secret?

Old 04-02-2017, 09:16 AM

32,623 posts, read 77,739,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fat lou View Post
So how do you know so much about Lawrenceville and Polish Hill? Why won't you tell us? What's the big secret?
He's convinced no long-term white renters were displaced when those old white homeowners "just cashed out". I've seen it happening left and right just since moving here in 2010.

Many people on here are out-of-touch. It's not surprising. The income of the regulars on here seems to skew higher than the incomes of most Pittsburghers I know.

The battle cry of "if your neighborhood becomes too trendy then rent in a non-trendy neighborhood and shut up" sounds logical until you go onto CraigsList and see that there aren't thousands of vacant cheap apartments listed online in non-trendy city neighborhoods to house all of those who either are being displaced from rentals in trendy neighborhoods or will be in the coming years.

So, yes, let's tell the 200 residents of Penn Plaza "move to Brighton Heights" and let them have a "Hunger Games"-styled battle for 7 currently listed cheap rentals listed there. Same for other "go-to" cheap, safe, non-trendy city neighborhoods that only have slim pickings for available cheap rentals.

The land banking is crucial going forward if rents are going to continue to rise while greedy Pittsburgh employers won't boost wages. Just because a city neighborhood is outside the East End doesn't mean it has gobs and gobs of available cheap rentals to house displaced East End socioeconomic refugees. These neighborhoods might have oodles of blighted homes, but those being priced out of renting in the East End typically can't afford to buy and overhaul a blighted home in a non-trendy neighborhood. We need to figure out how to renovate homes on the cheap into small cheap rentals to reduce blight in the non-trendy neighborhoods, increase population density in the non-trendy neighborhoods, and provide housing for the Morlocks being displaced by the Eloi in the East End.

Old 04-02-2017, 09:21 AM

5,894 posts, read 6,896,402 times
Apparently 100% of poor & elderly white people owned homes until about a decades ago. Learn something new everyday.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh