Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2022, 09:40 AM

4,181 posts, read 2,976,505 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUILD PENN SQUARE View Post
how to design a building to activate a corner - east liberty target

how to design a building to deactivate a corner - east liberty whole foods
You are one block away from the activated corner. The main entrance on is not on Penn Circle @ Penn. I'm not making excuses for that intersection but there is an "activated corner". The St Clair corner faces the undeveloped areas. I would assume that future development would open up to St Clair creating a micro neighborhood within a neighborhood.

https://www.google.com/maps/@40.4629...7i16384!8i8192

https://www.google.com/maps/@40.4617...7i16384!8i8192
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2022, 03:10 PM

1,171 posts, read 540,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpipkins2 View Post
You are one block away from the activated corner. The main entrance on is not on Penn Circle @ Penn. I'm not making excuses for that intersection but there is an "activated corner". The St Clair corner faces the undeveloped areas. I would assume that future development would open up to St Clair creating a micro neighborhood within a neighborhood.
correct - the developer activated the corner within the giant parcel of land they own with the hope of creating a self-referential neighborhood within a neighborhood, similar to what walnut capital did with their walnut on highland building - the original design called for a grand front entrance on penn avenue which engaged the neighborhood but when walnut capital took over the project they put the main entrance in the back of the building facing the highland building which they also own

https://goo.gl/maps/HsiSzEQ995CeD3Wg8

it's basically a way for white people to "be" in east liberty without actually being in east liberty

Old 12-27-2022, 06:12 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 26,060,325 times
Quote:
correct - the developer activated the corner within the giant parcel of land they own with the hope of creating a self-referential neighborhood within a neighborhood, similar to what walnut capital did with their walnut on highland building - the original design called for a grand front entrance on penn avenue which engaged the neighborhood but when walnut capital took over the project they put the main entrance in the back of the building facing the highland building which they also own

it's basically a way for white people to "be" in east liberty without actually being in east liberty
East Liberty is mostly white now and in 5 more years it will probably be very white. It is going back to its roots, but not nearly as nice. That being said, I don’t think people care that much in that area.

Old 12-28-2022, 09:01 AM

Quote:

I am black and if I chose this location to live.......I would prefer that type of entrance. Just saying....

Old 12-28-2022, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
East Liberty is mostly white now and in 5 more years it will probably be very white. It is going back to its roots, but not nearly as nice. That being said, I don’t think people care that much in that area.
East Liberty is not mostly white. It is an even split between black and white with a small percentage of others. East Liberty is nice now and will continue to improve over time. Nevermind the naysayers.

Old 12-28-2022, 11:01 AM
gg

Quote:
East Liberty is not mostly white. It is an even split between black and white with a small percentage of others. East Liberty is nice now and will continue to improve over time. Nevermind the naysayers.
41% white and growing in that direction
40% black and losing that population
9% Asian and growing in that direction

In 5 years it will be nearing 60% white and 12% Asian. The new places that will be built by Walnut Capital aren't going to be cheap, so mostly White and Asians unless they have subsidized housing, but even if they do, it will be limited.

Old 12-28-2022, 11:09 AM

Quote:
41% white and growing in that direction
40% black and losing that population
9% Asian and growing in that direction

In 5 years it will be nearing 60% white and 12% Asian. The new places that will be built by Walnut Capital aren't going to be cheap, so mostly White and Asians unless they have subsidized housing, but even if they do, it will be limited.
Even split...... There are large housing developments in the pipeline all over East Liberty and Larimer. Some are market rate while others are subsidized. East Liberty will always have a black component. Sorry to burst your bubble.

Old 12-28-2022, 11:22 AM
gg

Quote:
Even split...... There are large housing developments in the pipeline all over East Liberty and Larimer. Some are market rate while others are subsidized. East Liberty will always have a black component. Sorry to burst your bubble.
Nearly even, but not quite and those numbers are probably a year or two old. There will be a black component, but it will be much less. I would say more Asians than black at the end of the buildout.

As always I will be correct in my prediction.

Old 12-28-2022, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Nearly even, but not quite and those numbers are probably a year or two old. There will be a black component, but it will be much less. I would say more Asians than black at the end of the buildout.

As always I will be correct in my prediction.
You are incorrect considering the new units absorbed plus the new units under development. The apartments constructed are mainly geared towards young singles. The affordable units are for families.

Your lily white memories of East Liberty will never come to fruition. I do not recall any of your predictions being correct. You have a warped sense of reality.

Old 12-28-2022, 02:52 PM

1,171 posts, read 540,955 times
at what point does the developer of the new whole foods in east liberty contact google and say, those old buildings you're showing where all the eldery low-income people lived, yeah we threw them out and tore those buildings down, that plan you're showing is inaccurate

here's a new accurate site plan to go along with your updated accurate drone photos

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh