Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2017, 06:44 AM

14,354 posts, read 17,094,679 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by selltheburgh View Post
The western and northern part of the downtown area is going to be very different in 5 years, which will make the area north of East Liberty Blvd much more walkable than it already is.
What are you thinking about here. In the area north of Penn and west of N Highland, I know of three projects:

1. Schoolhouse Electric going in at the Detectives Building.
2. Rehab of the Medical Center East building in an attempt to win higher-rent tenants.
3. Mixed-income residential infill in most of the parking lots.

None of this will add much new commercial density to the area. Of course, they also plan to turn Station Street into a two-way road, which will make it less of a bear to cross. And stuff could move into the vacant storefronts at Indigo Square and along N Highland, but on the whole those seem like minor improvements.

On the subject of that general area, I've always wondered what the heck Duquense Light uses this building for. It could be a real gem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xdv8 View Post
East Liberty wasn't originally a black neighborhood, it became one in the urban renewal era 1960s -
If you want to be pedantic, Pittsburgh had no black neighborhoods besides the Hill District prior to that period. And even then it wasn't the whole Hill District - Sugar Top and parts of the Lower Hill were still majority white. Though it's interesting to note that all the neighborhoods that were somewhat integrated in the 1940s (15%-30% black) ended up becoming black neighborhoods a few decades laer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2017, 07:26 AM

4,181 posts, read 2,976,505 times
I found a few old pictures of the storefronts that fronted Highland Ave on the Home Depot site. Looking at it now I can see that they were actually Victorian row houses with storefront additions. They were ugly and not worth saving. The buildings across from Indigo Square on Highland were large row houses at one time as well. Back when the old Vintage was a Giant Eagle and the Sears (Home Depot) building were there this area was pretty active. It felt more connected to the main East Liberty business District.

Old 02-22-2017, 07:30 AM

969 posts, read 775,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpipkins2 View Post
Back when the old Vintage was a Giant Eagle and the Sears (Home Depot) building were there this area was pretty active. It felt more connected to the main East Liberty business District.
When was that a Giant Eagle?

Old 02-22-2017, 07:34 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 26,060,325 times
Quote:
Great write-up. Thanks for taking the time.
Agreed. What a great service you are providing.

Old 02-22-2017, 07:36 AM

4,181 posts, read 2,976,505 times
Quote:
When was that a Giant Eagle?
As recent as the 1990s.

Old 02-22-2017, 04:00 PM

1,860 posts, read 2,585,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
What are you thinking about here. In the area north of Penn and west of N Highland, I know of three projects:

1. Schoolhouse Electric going in at the Detectives Building.
2. Rehab of the Medical Center East building in an attempt to win higher-rent tenants.
3. Mixed-income residential infill in most of the parking lots.

None of this will add much new commercial density to the area. Of course, they also plan to turn Station Street into a two-way road, which will make it less of a bear to cross. And stuff could move into the vacant storefronts at Indigo Square and along N Highland, but on the whole those seem like minor improvements.
1. Schoolhouse Electric isn't going to be alone in that building. I've heard other offices and some sort of a cafe /restaurant being planned there.

2. I've heard of that happening too, but I think it is slow. Maybe something on the first floor there could work as a restaurant, but I haven't heard anything.

3. Trek is doing the development where the farmer's market has been. I've heard that there's going to be a commercial component to it.

Also, the Penn Plaza disaster - which will likely at some point become a big commercial development along Penn and Negley - just 5-7 blocks for many residents of Northern East Lib.

I also don't foresee the auto places along Penn Circle North (Station St) staying what they are....or at least not having as much parking as they currently do and becoming something a little bit more densely populated.

Old 02-22-2017, 04:25 PM

9,150 posts, read 10,923,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by selltheburgh View Post
the Penn Plaza disaster - which will likely at some point become a big commercial development along Penn and Negley
Is Whole Foods not going to relocate there?

Old 02-22-2017, 07:47 PM

969 posts, read 775,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jay5835 View Post
It's covered way too closely, here are just a few recent articles. Lots of angry people. Everything is uncertain.

East Liberty developer ordered to halt work at former Penn Plaza site | Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

City cites developer for removing trees at Penn Plaza site | Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Demonstrators take to Downtown over Penn Plaza dispute | Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Peduto asks developers to house displaced Penn Plaza residents | Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Old 02-22-2017, 08:42 PM

90,296 posts, read 121,020,755 times
Props to you for keeping this going!

Old 02-23-2017, 06:23 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 26,060,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jay5835 View Post
One can only hope. It is ridiculous that there is a delay, but there are always some folks with their hands out that are looking to cash in. Similar reason the Civic Arena sight is still a parking lot. Progress is painfully slow in our region. Wish they would be more like NYC around here and let progress happen naturally.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh