Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2015, 11:58 PM

774 posts, read 1,777,672 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herodotus View Post
I've shot in both Reading, and York, but never wandered around aimlessly.

Do you think that maybe if you stopped your shootings, those areas would be considered safe then?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2015, 05:43 AM

11,086 posts, read 8,539,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by max.b View Post
Size: 2BR+

Condition: non-biohazard. That is, I don't mind fixing drywalls or replacing the floors, but if you need a hazmat suit to be inside, I don't want anything to do with the place.

Preference: brick, stone or concrete construction

Preference: garage

Strong preference: shouldn't have to hear the neighbors' TV

Non-ghetto, unlikely to become a ghetto.

Distant suburbs probably OK.
There are many neighborhoods and homes that would meet those requirements.

Old 11-10-2015, 07:21 AM

1,519 posts, read 2,673,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herodotus View Post
I've shot in both Reading, and York, but never wandered around aimlessly.
When I first read that, my brain added a "been" after "I've" and "shot" and I wondered what you do to be shot frequently. Then I re-read.

Old 11-10-2015, 07:46 AM

12,390 posts, read 7,092,577 times
Here's an interesting video talking about violence, and race. Pittsburgh is specifically mentioned as being particularly bad.

The link below should take you to the 11:19 point of the video, if not start the video there. Pittsburgh is mentioned at 13:30 of the video.

http://youtu.be/8hyQDQPEsrs?t=679

Old 11-10-2015, 08:50 AM

8,090 posts, read 6,955,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Like_Spam View Post
Not that bizarre at all that people would have that kind of opinion, the entire 99% vs. 1% debate assumes the same zero sum theory that the success of the 1% means bad news for the 99%.

Of course that's false, the economy as well as relations between ethnic groups isn't "zero sum" at all.

But if people hear it all of the time, it isn't shocking at all that a lot people would buy into "zero sum" instead of considering society as something with many moving parts.
This is just an awful analogy. The money in the economy at any given time is finite. Equality is not.

Old 11-10-2015, 10:15 AM

1,901 posts, read 4,377,333 times
Whats interesting is Biker gangs & authentic white crips from Hazelwood/Homestead/Southern Hilltop & some of wannabee white gangs don't really like each other when they meet in the Allegheny County Jail... So I've heard.
The real big outlaw mcs of course are the Pagans and The Law (which has been around since the LAW in Larimer Ave/Wilkinsburg days so they use lower case). Mongols are in New Castle though

Old 11-10-2015, 10:45 AM

14,352 posts, read 17,012,289 times
I know that white hoods, once they spend some time in jail, tend to be recruited into nazi gangs, but my impression is that prior to this, they tend to be quite socially integrated, unlike their typically racist parents. I'd actually say for that reason I tend to think there will not be multi-generational "white hoods" in Pittsburgh in another two generations, as nearly everyone in this social class will be mixed race.

Old 11-10-2015, 10:53 AM

1,214 posts, read 1,456,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PreservationPioneer View Post
McKeesport is not a neighborhood, but a city of some size, composed of many different neighborhoods. Many of these neighborhoods, as in Pittsburgh, are segregated. Some neighborhoods are majority black, some are majority white, and many are mixed. Your safety may depend on which neighborhood you are in more than whether you are in McKeesport or not. McKeesport has safe neighborhoods and sketchy neighborhoods, too.

There are also nice neighborhoods in McKeesport, where people do not see the need to move out, and in which houses are not hard to sell.

I just love blowing up myths about McKeesport!
all due respect, but what 'myth' did you blow up?
if you meant 'houses are not hard to give away' instead of 'not hard to sell' i still might not agree, but it would be closer to reality.

102 single family residence sales in the past year.
-more were 10k(13) or under than 100k+(8)
-over 40%, yes 40% of them were 25k or less.
-64% of the home sales were sub 50k
Those aren't myths!

the very few that sold for 100k+ are in the 'suburb', totally removed from the 'city of some size' where the cops live and there is no foot traffic or city atmosphere to it at all.

It doesn't give me pleasure to say this but, the very small safe areas are not spreading and improving the worse ones. They are hanging on out of necessity because municipal employees need to live somewhere within the city limits.

Old 11-10-2015, 11:01 AM

7,541 posts, read 10,254,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
I know that white hoods, once they spend some time in jail, tend to be recruited into nazi gangs, but my impression is that prior to this, they tend to be quite socially integrated, unlike their typically racist parents. I'd actually say for that reason I tend to think there will not be multi-generational "white hoods" in Pittsburgh in another two generations, as nearly everyone in this social class will be mixed race.

That's quite a broad statement, labeling the parents of white criminals as "typically racist", which implies they are more bigoted than the average, garden variety, white parents.

Old 11-10-2015, 11:05 AM

14,352 posts, read 17,012,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Like_Spam View Post
That's quite a broad statement, labeling the parents of white criminals as "typically racist", which implies they are more bigoted than the average, garden variety, white parents.
My point is whatever the other social dysfunction of the young poor white population in the Pittsburgh area, they are far more socially integrated with the black population than their parents.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh