Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2015, 08:47 AM

4,359 posts, read 7,540,065 times

Advertisements

We didn't buy our first home until I was 33.

Unexpected expenses become more expensive when you buy a home. It is okay to rent while you figure out a career path.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2015, 07:11 PM

51 posts, read 74,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robrobrob View Post
The problem is that there is a chance that the house will be reassessed at the actual purchase price.
I was worried about that with my home purchase.. But there was no hike due to reassessment.. There was a 10k difference in the assessment and purchase price..

Old 05-22-2015, 10:52 PM

3,258 posts, read 2,347,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jay5835 View Post
Now you've done it.
Sorry. Sometimes my curiosity gets the best of me. As a mom, I would be upset if my kids who finished college were earning so little money years after graduation. Just seems unusual for two college graduates to have such low paying jobs. Obviously there are problems that I am unaware of and I did not intend to step on any toes or offend anyone.

Old 05-23-2015, 05:24 AM

12,526 posts, read 17,566,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjd76539 View Post
I was worried about that with my home purchase.. But there was no hike due to reassessment.. There was a 10k difference in the assessment and purchase price..
Keep your fingers crossed, if it's worth it to the school district, they will come calling.

Old 05-23-2015, 07:26 AM

11,086 posts, read 8,555,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
Every time I have thousands saved towards my first home something happens---taxes; car hits a pothole and socks me $700; someone who is uninsured hits my car while parked making me out $500 deductible; health issues with the roommate's dog; etc. It's not exactly easy to save when you're only making ~$35,000/year and then have to pay student loans, taxes, a car payment, car insurance, utilities, gas, rent, groceries, car maintenance/repairs, etc. There's generally not much left beyond my contingency savings that I always seem to have to keep replenishing.

I have yet to see what makes Pittsburgh "cheap". We're cheaper than EXPENSIVE areas. Okay. I get that. How are we cheap generally speaking, though?

In any event I've decided I'm not buying a home here anymore. I just can't afford to because my employer doesn't pay well enough. It is what it is. Nobody's fault but my own.
Homebuyers

Old 05-23-2015, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geeo View Post
It's a big step. I bought my first house in my 20s with 5% down and had the PMI, but was able to drop it after about five or six years because the area on the North Side had appreciated so much. But I was young and foolish and didn't account for annual maintenance and having enough money set aside for that.

With the second house, I had all my ducks in a row: 20% down, 15-year mortgage, 8 months emergency living expenses in cash, and a few thousand in a separate account for home maintenance every year. There are always unexpected costs that you should expect with a house.

Smart guy.

500 in rent vs 500 in mortgage payment are two different things. Do you have tools, lawn mower, ladder, do the walls need painted, oops, need TO BE painted, washer and dryer. That first year I promise you won't see the inside of too many restaurants. Best way to go IMHO, is buy a duplex and use FHA funding. The other unit's rent can be included in your income to help you qualify, build up some equity, drop the pmi, and when you move on you can keep it and become a lousy, stinkin' slum landlord and become rich like those of us who own property n'at.

Old 05-23-2015, 02:58 PM

4,692 posts, read 9,045,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrassTacksGal View Post
Sorry. Sometimes my curiosity gets the best of me. As a mom, I would be upset if my kids who finished college were earning so little money years after graduation. Just seems unusual for two college graduates to have such low paying jobs. Obviously there are problems that I am unaware of and I did not intend to step on any toes or offend anyone.
Depends on what your college degree is. If you have a BSW, as I do, expect to make $35k a year if you're lucky.

Old 05-23-2015, 06:48 PM

2,218 posts, read 1,948,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PreservationPioneer View Post
Depends on what your college degree is. If you have a BSW, as I do, expect to make $35k a year if you're lucky.
It's like having a "liberal arts" degree. You were a psychology or sociology or fine arts or history or philosophy major... NO guarantee of being paid like a professional. It's going to come down to a whole lot of factors other than whatever you got in those college classes.

Old 05-23-2015, 08:51 PM

5,894 posts, read 6,890,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Copanut View Post
Best way to go IMHO, is buy a duplex and use FHA funding. The other unit's rent can be included in your income to help you qualify, build up some equity, drop the pmi, and when you move on you can keep it and become a lousy, stinkin' slum landlord and become rich like those of us who own property n'at.
Unfortunately the new FHA rules don't allow you to drop the pmi when you pay down the loan as they did before

Old 05-24-2015, 03:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKyank View Post
Unfortunately the new FHA rules don't allow you to drop the pmi when you pay down the loan as they did before
Forgot they changed the rules. You could always go conventional if the equity is there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh