Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2012, 11:59 AM

142 posts, read 366,005 times

Advertisements

I'm going to be starting a new job downtown next week, and I'm weighing my transportation options. I'm curious if anyone has any thoughts, opinions or experiences they can share.

I live in Bethel Park, and will be working in the US Steel Tower. The T is extremely convenient for me, since I'm within 2 minute walking distance of the Logan stop on the Blue Line. A 40 minute ride gets me to Steel Plaza, which isn't bad at all. A monthly pass will run me $146 under the new fare system.

But just the other day, I started looking into the Mid-Mon Valley Transit Authority. They operate buses along Route 88, which is within a stone's throw of my house. What struck me is that a monthly pass with them is only $80. They stop downtown, but only along Smithfield Street -- which would leave me a short walk to the steel building.

Does anyone have experiences with the Mon Valley Transit service? I know as a bus, it's probably less reliable and more prone to being late. But at nearly half the price, I wonder if it's worth it.

Thoughts welcome!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2012, 12:04 PM

1,519 posts, read 2,679,297 times
A co-worker of mine (also coming from Bethel Park) made the switch to Mid Mon Valley Transit last year. She has been very pleased with the service.

Old 06-27-2012, 12:19 PM

2,109 posts, read 2,163,958 times
In either case, be sure to see if your employer has an option to pay for the pass with pre-tax income via payroll deduction. Don't pass up an effective 25% or so discount

Old 06-27-2012, 12:36 PM

142 posts, read 366,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoIsStanwix? View Post
In either case, be sure to see if your employer has an option to pay for the pass with pre-tax income via payroll deduction. Don't pass up an effective 25% or so discount
Most definitely. I'll be working for UPMC in their corporate office *dodges tomatoes being thrown* haha. They offer a pre-tax commuter account. Which they describe as a 30% savings. I'll do it for sure.

Old 06-27-2012, 01:46 PM

1,183 posts, read 2,149,137 times
If you never anticipate being Downtown later than like 7PM, or basically ever on weekends, and you don't imagine you'll ever take a bus or trolly anywhere else (e.g., a Pirates game, the South Side, or South Hills Village) and you don't mind getting stuck in gameday- or detour- or weather-based traffic, I'd go with the Mon Valley option.

The relative freedom, reliability, and efficiency of the Port Authority pass would be worth it for me.

Old 06-27-2012, 01:46 PM

1,146 posts, read 1,415,996 times
A co-worker of mine lives in South Park and used to take the T from the Library stop. He switched to Mid Mon Valley Transit and likes it. He says it seems like a faster ride.

Old 06-27-2012, 01:58 PM

20,273 posts, read 33,057,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steindle View Post
The relative freedom, reliability, and efficiency of the Port Authority pass would be worth it for me.
You could still buy single fares for occasional use. As of now, at least, the bulk-buying offered by PAT isn't very valuable.

Edit: $66 is 26-some trips at $2.50 per trip. That is an awful lot of extra trips in a month (e.g., it would easily cover a one or two round-trips per weekend with lots to spare).

Old 06-27-2012, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steindle View Post
If you never anticipate being Downtown later than like 7PM, or basically ever on weekends, and you don't imagine you'll ever take a bus or trolly anywhere else (e.g., a Pirates game, the South Side, or South Hills Village) and you don't mind getting stuck in gameday- or detour- or weather-based traffic, I'd go with the Mon Valley option.
I was surprised to learn that the last Mid Mon Valley bus leaves downtown after 10:00 pm weekdays. I first realized that when I was sitting one Friday night after 9:30 at the red light at the intersection of 51 and Library Road and watched one of their buses turn onto the busway heading into downtown. They also have weekend service.

Old 06-27-2012, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
Edit: $66 is 26-some trips at $2.50 per trip. That is an awful lot of extra trips in a month (e.g., it would easily cover a one or two round-trips per weekend with lots to spare).
It'll actually be $3.75 per trip, Bethel Park is in Zone 2. ETA: But that's still a good number of extra trips.

Old 06-27-2012, 02:25 PM

20,273 posts, read 33,057,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinare View Post
It'll actually be $3.75 per trip, Bethel Park is in Zone 2. ETA: But that's still a good number of extra trips.
Good thing I had a lot to spare!

I guess for me crossing zones is like crossing rivers for some of the older natives (I don't understand it and don't do it).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh