Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2014, 11:46 AM

2,369 posts, read 2,930,586 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg42 View Post
There's any number. Try that place h_curtis said which is close by for you at least. I'm all for Ditchdigger's recommendations but that one is far away for you.

Do an online search, like this one: Car-Part.com--Used Auto Parts Market But since there are probably multiple types of wheels the car could come with you have to make sure you get the right design. Best to see in person, which won't be easy if the matches are too far away.

Or call that wheel repair guy that we mentioned. Since Stanwix posted direct experience, that might be a good bet.

You're probably going to be without it for a few days anyway. The chances of having the same wheel in stock in town for used (or even new) are pretty small, I suspect. You might want to see if it could be repaired for not so much.

Meantime, be careful if you're driving on a donut in the snow tomorrow.

the weirdest part about this is my tire did not blow out/puncture. the inner part of the wheel is dented pretty good that I doubt its able to be fixed. this was one of those back roads I took for the first time in east liberty from baum, trying to get to penn ave. think it was the one by the construction of those apartment complexes by penn circle W.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2014, 11:53 AM

9,912 posts, read 24,772,433 times
Here's another place for used wheels and possibly repair, but they're about to close until Monday:

Hubcap Heaven & Wheels Inc.

In fact that will likely be a problem for all the salvage yards too. Not likely to be open late today and not likely to be open tomorrow.

Old 03-01-2014, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarqCider View Post
the weirdest part about this is my tire did not blow out/puncture. the inner part of the wheel is dented pretty good that I doubt its able to be fixed. this was one of those back roads I took for the first time in east liberty from baum, trying to get to penn ave. think it was the one by the construction of those apartment complexes by penn circle W.
Is the tire still holding air then? If it is, and you're driving on it, be careful with that too. It could be just a matter of time before that seal fails on some other bump or whatever. Although you say the inner part of the wheel, I guess that suggests you've had the wheel off.

I dunno, I think regardless you're mostly stuck without a new/fixed wheel until at least next week unless you want to buy a non-matched aftermarket one that happens to be in stock somewhere. (I doubt you want to, I sure wouldn't!) You can at least search online for salvage but they mostly don't seem to have pictures. I searched on and off for a year or so for a hood panel in good shape that was my car's OEM color. Never saw photos, but maybe wheels will be different.

Old 03-01-2014, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Is the tire still holding air then? If it is, and you're driving on it, be careful with that too. It could be just a matter of time before that seal fails on some other bump or whatever. Although you say the inner part of the wheel, I guess that suggests you've had the wheel off.

I dunno, I think regardless you're mostly stuck without a new/fixed wheel until at least next week unless you want to buy a non-matched aftermarket one that happens to be in stock somewhere. (I doubt you want to, I sure wouldn't!) You can at least search online for salvage but they mostly don't seem to have pictures. I searched on and off for a year or so for a hood panel in good shape that was my car's OEM color. Never saw photos, but maybe wheels will be different.

no, tire lost air pretty quick and I pulled over and had the spare put on.

Old 03-01-2014, 12:30 PM

2,458 posts, read 4,224,181 times
You know, the litigious nature of the world today being what it is, it wouldn't surprise me if Pep Boys had a company policy to just tell you that a wheel's not repairable, whether it is or not. They probably know that not everybody they employ has the expertise to know the difference, and don't want the liability if you repair rather than replace, on their advice, and have it fail later on. I've heard stories that some of the big box type automotive places will refuse to mount anything different than the factory stock sized tires for that reason...

Old 03-01-2014, 01:18 PM

I called those guys over at all wheel repair. hard to say if its fixable, but heres to hoping it is.

Old 03-01-2014, 04:08 PM

11 posts, read 17,149 times
Default Pittsburgh Tire

Looks like I'm late, and my info will not be useful. However, I would like to put a name out there in case anyone in the future has tire issues.

Pittsburgh Tire in the Strip District/Lawrenceville area helped me out when I had tire issues.
3301 Smallman St.

I hope you are able to find what you need quickly and with a good price point. Stay safe and good luck!

Old 03-01-2014, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchdigger View Post
You know, the litigious nature of the world today being what it is, it wouldn't surprise me if Pep Boys had a company policy to just tell you that a wheel's not repairable, whether it is or not. They probably know that not everybody they employ has the expertise to know the difference, and don't want the liability if you repair rather than replace, on their advice, and have it fail later on. I've heard stories that some of the big box type automotive places will refuse to mount anything different than the factory stock sized tires for that reason...
I agree. I think I may have answered assuming that most everyone realized a chain shop might not actually know if it could be repaired but instead only knows that THEY can't do it. In case you didn't know, though, that is what you should assume. They only know their limits and are not necessarily knowledgable about all limits of what can be done.

A bent wheel may not be toast until one of those people who know how to fix alloy wheels says it is toast. Maybe you'll get lucky.

Old 03-01-2014, 08:51 PM

Quote:
I agree. I think I may have answered assuming that most everyone realized a chain shop might not actually know if it could be repaired but instead only knows that THEY can't do it. In case you didn't know, though, that is what you should assume. They only know their limits and are not necessarily knowledgable about all limits of what can be done.

A bent wheel may not be toast until one of those people who know how to fix alloy wheels says it is toast. Maybe you'll get lucky.

hopefully because a new one will cost me $600

Old 03-01-2014, 09:33 PM

2,109 posts, read 2,173,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarqCider View Post
hopefully because a new one will cost me $600
I would order a reman or factory spec aftermarket wheel at least. It shouldn't run you more than $300 and probably closer to $200. Try allfactorywheels.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh