Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2013, 06:01 AM

3,112 posts, read 2,942,124 times

Advertisements

And for what it is worth, the natural gas companies that are not locating downtown have very good reasons for so. When one of the major players arrived, they settled in Robinson because that is where the company they purchased was already located. New the region, that made the most sense. Now after 3 years in the area they are looking to build. Now do they move downtown for the sake of what I dont know, or do they do a little analysis to find out where their workers live, and locate within a certain distance from the majority of their employees. I would put money on the 2nd option, because I know it is true. Employees who are moving to a region for employment tend to settle around their employer because that is the one thing they know about the area. Also, why would a company, where a large contingent of their workforce has company vehicles, and trucks most likely, want to be located downtown? Imagine if you usually work in the field but had to come in for an hour saftey training session in the morning, then head out again. Talk about a PITA. What about the fact that they are not drilling in this area, but rather south of the city, why would they located downtown?
Not everything has to be in the city, it is the region that matters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copanut View Post
All new housing developments are REQUIRED that sidewalks be built. Most have them already.
Just curious, are these sidewalks connected to anything? I am truly not familiar with the area so I do not know. My brother lives in a development that has sidewalks that stop at the end of the street. It is kind of entertaining because it looks all Mayberry until you reach the end, and you are dumped off into weeds along a rather busy road.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2013, 06:10 AM

12,529 posts, read 17,658,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PghYinzer View Post
And for what it is worth, the natural gas companies that are not locating downtown have very good reasons for so. When one of the major players arrived, they settled in Robinson because that is where the company they purchased was already located. New the region, that made the most sense. Now after 3 years in the area they are looking to build. Now do they move downtown for the sake of what I dont know, or do they do a little analysis to find out where their workers live, and locate within a certain distance from the majority of their employees. I would put money on the 2nd option, because I know it is true. Employees who are moving to a region for employment tend to settle around their employer because that is the one thing they know about the area. Also, why would a company, where a large contingent of their workforce has company vehicles, and trucks most likely, want to be located downtown? Imagine if you usually work in the field but had to come in for an hour saftey training session in the morning, then head out again. Talk about a PITA. What about the fact that they are not drilling in this area, but rather south of the city, why would they located downtown?
Not everything has to be in the city, it is the region that matters.

Just curious, are these sidewalks connected to anything? I am truly not familiar with the area so I do not know. My brother lives in a development that has sidewalks that stop at the end of the street. It is kind of entertaining because it looks all Mayberry until you reach the end, and you are dumped off into weeds along a rather busy road.
Yeah, that's how it works. Most people in Cranberry can afford a car or two, so it's no problem.

Old 09-24-2013, 06:22 AM

9,150 posts, read 10,970,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PghYinzer View Post
\My brother lives in a development that has sidewalks that stop at the end of the street. It ... looks all Mayberry until you reach the end, and you are dumped off into weeds along a rather busy road.
Potemkin village.

Old 09-24-2013, 06:46 AM

32,640 posts, read 78,006,431 times
Quote:
Yeah, that's how it works. Most people in Cranberry can afford a car or two, so it's no problem.
Two words for you: Peak Oil.

Old 09-24-2013, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post

And yet you make your living as a delivery boy.

Old 09-24-2013, 07:26 AM

4,599 posts, read 6,751,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
On the flip side, if you're worried about gas prices skyrocketing keep in mind that city-dwellers food prices will skyrocket because it all has to be trucked in. At least up there you have access to farms and you actually have room to grow your own.

Old 09-24-2013, 07:42 AM

1,714 posts, read 2,372,265 times
Quote:
All new housing developments are REQUIRED that sidewalks be built. Most have them already.
It doesn't help the haphazard way in which everything has been crammed into "town," though. The new people running the township seem to be together and trying to remedy all of these sorts of issues, but the horse is kind of out of the barn at this point.

Old 09-24-2013, 07:43 AM

I guess Cranberry is a failure, since so many people and businesses have moved there. Sure is a dump.

Old 09-24-2013, 07:45 AM

1,714 posts, read 2,372,265 times
Quote:
I guess Cranberry is a failure, since so many people and businesses have moved there. Sure is a dump.
Not what I said. It's too successful. Just wish it wasn't such a decentralized mess.

Wouldn't be half as bad if developers had built with any amount of forethought whatsoever instead of barfing out strip malls or subdivisions onto any scrap of land they could get their hands on without thinking about how it fit in with the thing next to it.

Last edited by SammyKhalifa; 09-24-2013 at 08:00 AM..

Old 09-24-2013, 08:16 AM

40,998 posts, read 18,423,790 times
Quote:
I know. I live in Cranberry. Some of the posts in this thread are as funny as using chairs, paint buckets and cones to save parking spots.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh