Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2013, 11:16 AM

72 posts, read 333,263 times

Advertisements

My husband is starting a job over there next week and, although we currently live in Bethel Park of the South Hills, we may end up moving in the next year or so to be closer to his work. I know that the Norwin school district is good but how are the surrounding towns -- Irwin, Greensburg, Manor, Jeanette, New Stanton, etc... It seems that you get more land for your money than the South Hills, and we are ideally looking at a relatively new home to purchase in a suburbia with close access to "civilization" (which means a grocery store and Target in my book!). Thanks so much!

Also for anyone who has any suggestions on the best way to commute over there from Bethel Park, I'd appreciate it. He's done Lebanon-Church road, over Dravosburg bridge and through McKeesport but I've also heard going down through Finleyville and onto 43 is a good way (and avoids the congested streets). thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2013, 12:31 PM

288 posts, read 511,476 times
Avoid Jeanette.

Old 08-16-2013, 06:32 PM

697 posts, read 778,267 times
^ agree on avoiding Jeanette. Irwin and most of Greensburg are good, just check which school district you'd be in as parts of Greensburg could be Hempfield or Greensburg Salem. Then check their rankings because I thought they'd gone down a bit.

There are some newer developments in N Huntington and, as you said, the Norwin district is good. Another plus is you'd be in Westmoreland County so lower property taxes. There's a Target and Giant Eagle in the same plaza!

Old 08-16-2013, 08:31 PM

72 posts, read 333,263 times
Target and Giant Eagle in the same plaza? I'm sold!

Old 08-16-2013, 08:51 PM

1,214 posts, read 1,457,737 times
north huntington is the epitome of suburbia, no need to really look at any 'towns'.
just google bob shuster homes, and move into his newest development half mile from that plaza (quarter mile from the new applebees, just follow the honda pilot convoy).

and ..biting my tongue here, but why avoid jeannette?

jeannette is well past its glass manufacturing prime, i won't deny, but its an awesome place. one of the true hidden gems of all of pittsburghs suburban 'towns' in my opinion. with real local buisinesses, markets, restaurants, bakeries, butchers, delis, and the most pride in a town from its residents you will find in the area.

why someone would tell you to avoid jeannette but greensburg and irwin are fine is beyond me. the crime rate in jeannette has actually been going down, significantly, over the past 5 years and it is very far from a dangerous place (alot further than greensburg or north irwin are too, while we are at it).

i guess i need to take a few pictures around jeannette and do a photo tour or something if it worked for pitcairn hell, jeannette is about 5 million times nicer, safer, and more going on.

Old 08-18-2013, 12:40 PM

14 posts, read 18,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missytoe View Post
Target and Giant Eagle in the same plaza? I'm sold!

There's a Kohl's next door to the Target/Giant Eagle plaza. A few nice restaurants, too, because it's right by the turnpike interchange. 20 minute drive to Westmoreland Mall, and other Greensburg shopping areas. This area is very close to Hempfield, so if you really want Norwin School District, check before you buy. Good Luck.

Old 08-18-2013, 05:28 PM

7,541 posts, read 10,260,125 times
You'll love the Target on Lincoln Highway in North Huntington.

I picked something up there last year when I was in Westmoreland for my aunt's funeral, and it was an exact duplicate of the Target on McKnight Road in Pittsburgh. Really a case of deja vu, everything was in the exact same place as what I was used to.

Old 08-19-2013, 07:51 AM

288 posts, read 511,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by safak View Post
north huntington is the epitome of suburbia, no need to really look at any 'towns'.
just google bob shuster homes, and move into his newest development half mile from that plaza (quarter mile from the new applebees, just follow the honda pilot convoy).

and ..biting my tongue here, but why avoid jeannette?

jeannette is well past its glass manufacturing prime, i won't deny, but its an awesome place. one of the true hidden gems of all of pittsburghs suburban 'towns' in my opinion. with real local buisinesses, markets, restaurants, bakeries, butchers, delis, and the most pride in a town from its residents you will find in the area.

why someone would tell you to avoid jeannette but greensburg and irwin are fine is beyond me. the crime rate in jeannette has actually been going down, significantly, over the past 5 years and it is very far from a dangerous place (alot further than greensburg or north irwin are too, while we are at it).

i guess i need to take a few pictures around jeannette and do a photo tour or something if it worked for pitcairn hell, jeannette is about 5 million times nicer, safer, and more going on.
People don't move out of Bethel Park to live in a gritty, old manufacturing town. I'm sure Jeanette's crime statistics pale in comparison to Allegheny County, but there is a pretty sizable amount of the population living in poverty, a fair amount of blight, Jeanette's fiscal issues, and a below average school district (465 of 553 in PA, where Hempfield is 132). For someone coming from Bethel Park, I would say there are even places in Greensburg to avoid, even though I live there.

Old 08-19-2013, 02:32 PM

419 posts, read 551,839 times
Did you look into Plum? It's in Allegheny County though so I don't know if you would rather live in Westmorelamd due to lower taxes. Plum and murrysville (Westmoreland) are nice but not sure if that's too far north.

Old 08-20-2013, 04:27 PM

1,214 posts, read 1,457,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockthecasbah121 View Post
People don't move out of Bethel Park to live in a gritty, old manufacturing town. I'm sure Jeanette's crime statistics pale in comparison to Allegheny County, but there is a pretty sizable amount of the population living in poverty, a fair amount of blight, Jeanette's fiscal issues, and a below average school district (465 of 553 in PA, where Hempfield is 132). For someone coming from Bethel Park, I would say there are even places in Greensburg to avoid, even though I live there.
I apologize, i am not real familiar with bethel park. i assume by the post its a 'fox chapel' type of place? Learn something everyday, its about time i paid for my anti-south suburb prejudice. (blame the roads not me)
in which case yes jeannette wouldn't be what they are looking for , i was thrown off by the irwin/greensburg suggestions. unless they meant 400k+ house subdivisions with irwin zip codes or greensburg zip codes, then sure. but then again there are plenty with jeannette zip codes too. Poor lady going to find a house in Blackthorn she loves and immediately strike it for being in the 15644.

Anyway save yourself the travel and just move to Lincoln Hills in Irwin..er i mean North Huntingdon, 2 names with 1 zip code always throws me off. Especially if you have young kids, theres probably 500 kids 0 to 12 years old in that subdivision.

now that i solved her problem, just a side note about the Jeannetteschool district.
They have been fighting merge for a bit now but its coming so good time to invest, esp in the area that will merge into PT. nice historic 5 bed-2 1/2 bath victorian for under 100k anyone?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh