Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-29-2013, 07:39 AM

14,353 posts, read 17,030,476 times

Advertisements

I know I've touched on this before, but in my travels, it does seem like Pittsburgh is fairly unique in terms of the amount of damage people did to the architectural integrity of buildings in the mid 20th century.

Certain things are common nationwide. Frame houses, for example, often get ruined, as not only do people remove the wood to take down the siding, but often take off all ornamental wood trim in the process. Other cities (like Baltimore) are notorious for putting bad facades on houses as well, like fake stone.

It seems to me, though that Pittsburgh is unique because of how many buildings have been marred by poor window replacements. We run the gamut. I have seen the whole minor shortening of windows to deal with drop ceilings other places. But I've never seen anywhere where the mid century horizontal-sliding windows were poorly fitted into so many 19th century houses. It's a rare frame house in Bloomfield which hasn't been marred by this, but it's even worse in brick-heavy neighborhoods where the replacement window not only looks out of place, but actually ruins the front of the house as well. In some cases I've seen houses where perfectly good stone lintels are ripped out, or where they are strangely left in with the wrong-colored infill brick surrounding them.

It just always leaves me scratching my head. I mean, I understand a lot of people don't give a crap what the outside of their house looks like, but even in the dirt-poor working-class white neighborhoods I've been to in Philly and Baltimore I haven't seen the same thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2013, 08:13 AM

3,463 posts, read 4,646,466 times
Now Victorians are cool, but when I was growing up the trend was to modernize them. There are lots of bad renos in SF to Victorians and the stucco houses built in the 20s-50s and all other types of homes for that matter. Pittsburgh is not unique in that respect. I think you'd see a lot more badly renovated Victorians in SF, but the redevelopment of the Fillmore district (now called the Western Addition) in the 60s wiped out miles of them.

Old 04-29-2013, 08:40 AM

1,174 posts, read 1,586,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
I know I've touched on this before, but in my travels, it does seem like Pittsburgh is fairly unique in terms of the amount of damage people did to the architectural integrity of buildings in the mid 20th century.

Certain things are common nationwide. Frame houses, for example, often get ruined, as not only do people remove the wood to take down the siding, but often take off all ornamental wood trim in the process. Other cities (like Baltimore) are notorious for putting bad facades on houses as well, like fake stone.

It seems to me, though that Pittsburgh is unique because of how many buildings have been marred by poor window replacements. We run the gamut. I have seen the whole minor shortening of windows to deal with drop ceilings other places. But I've never seen anywhere where the mid century horizontal-sliding windows were poorly fitted into so many 19th century houses. It's a rare frame house in Bloomfield which hasn't been marred by this, but it's even worse in brick-heavy neighborhoods where the replacement window not only looks out of place, but actually ruins the front of the house as well. In some cases I've seen houses where perfectly good stone lintels are ripped out, or where they are strangely left in with the wrong-colored infill brick surrounding them.

It just always leaves me scratching my head. I mean, I understand a lot of people don't give a crap what the outside of their house looks like, but even in the dirt-poor working-class white neighborhoods I've been to in Philly and Baltimore I haven't seen the same thing.
I'm with you. Never will understand why or how that got started. Seems like it would be so much more of a hassle than replacing the existing features. When its a brick home you can really see the decline of the quality of work done when the place was built, and when the new brick was added.

You know what's awesome?

When they decide to put a horizontal window into a space in a brick house that is occupied by a vertical window of the EXACT SAME SIZE.

Even better when they're doing this they decide to fill the area below the window with stacked bricks and no mortar. Then you, the current homeowner come along and discover it when renovating that room. Good thing that I know a little bit about masonry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
View detailed profiles of: