Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2013, 02:21 PM

3,733 posts, read 5,975,018 times

Advertisements

The Robinson clump of malls and chains seems to do well because of its strategic position: it gets shoppers from Ohio and West Virginia (no sales tax on clothing), from Celeveland for IKEA, and from Beaver County, which has some, but not all of the variety of shopping that Robinson offers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2013, 03:07 PM

32,621 posts, read 77,707,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neurodistortion View Post
I feel the only malls doing exceptionally well are Ross Park Mall, South Hills Village, the Mall at Robinson and Westmoreland Mall. After all, the most sought for stores are all located in these aforementioned malls, although Ross Park is in its own league whereas the other three are in their own category. All the others are in decline or are relatively stagnant with no growth.

As far as Monroeville and Pittsburgh Mills, they both have the potential to be booming once again, the former just needs a better merchandising mix and the interior can use a complete overhaul whereas the Mills needs to shuffle tenants around, demolish parts of the existing mall that has the most vacancies and in its place perhaps attract a new anchor store like Boscov's.
I grew up shopping at the Boscov's store in Downtown Wilkes-Barre, PA and would most definitely drive to a location at Pittsburgh Mills if they decided to open one there. I really like how the chain's founder, Al Boscov, has been such a champion for urban revitalization in not only his hometown of Reading, PA but many other cities in PA and Upstate NY, also. I also like how they have FREE gift-wrapping around the Holidays if you do your shopping there. That's something very difficult to find anymore, and with how frustrated and impatient I get trying to get gifts wrapped perfectly only to accidentally tear a corner at the very end it's worth it to me to make someone else do it! Since closing their South Hills Village store I believe the closest store to Pittsburgh is all the way up in Butler.

I also think a Wegman's might do well at Pittsburgh Mills. Wegman's & Boscov's combined will be a regional draw for the Mills much as how IKEA has been a regional draw for Robinson.

Old 04-01-2013, 03:20 PM

12,526 posts, read 17,572,449 times
Too bad the Monroeville Mall got rid of the ice rink, it was great. But, it was pre-Mario.

Old 04-01-2013, 03:33 PM

There's also a Boscov's at the Beaver Valley Mall, which is about a half hour from the airport area.

Old 04-01-2013, 03:35 PM

29,765 posts, read 34,469,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geeo View Post
The Robinson clump of malls and chains seems to do well because of its strategic position: it gets shoppers from Ohio and West Virginia (no sales tax on clothing), from Celeveland for IKEA, and from Beaver County, which has some, but not all of the variety of shopping that Robinson offers.
But even there is that weird dead space that happened when Settler's Ridge was built and a lot of the tenants vacated their previous loactions. Now there's pockets of huge empty buildings where the old Barnes and Noble and Giant Eagle and movie theater used to be.

Old 04-01-2013, 03:38 PM

Yeah, that's always a problem when a rival developer builds a new plaza near an existing one. They just suck some of the life out of the old shopping center (which isn't even very old). But that's the way it goes - there isn't any master plan, since all of those little townships are competing for the tax revenue and welcome any developer that wants to put up the cinder block and blacktop. Eventually, all those shopping centers will start to decline as new ones are built nearby.

Old 04-01-2013, 03:55 PM

1,137 posts, read 2,499,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
But even there is that weird dead space that happened when Settler's Ridge was built and a lot of the tenants vacated their previous loactions. Now there's pockets of huge empty buildings where the old Barnes and Noble and Giant Eagle and movie theater used to be.
I agree that letting these retailers jump ship to the newest shopping plaza is a waste of space and resources. However, these locations did make room for new retailers to enter the Robinson market.

Former Barnes & Noble = La-Z-Boy
Former Giant Eagle = Hobby Lobby & The Tile Shop
Former Movie Theatre = Car Auction & Future Hotel... Hotel, used-car store to replace cinema in Robinson - Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Old 04-01-2013, 09:57 PM

1,723 posts, read 2,228,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
I am curious. What Italian restaurant is good in the so-called little Italy (Bloomfield)? I am not trying to be a jerk about it, so keep in mind I am asking a question here, not really trying to prove any point regarding Bloomfield's Italian restaurant scene.
I've wondered that, too. I've wondered what makes it 'Little Italy' these days. I drive through there everyday and it just looks like normal shops, ome Italian oriented, but nothing that seems very authentic. I'd guess most of the people actually from Italy and/or who speak Italian are no longer living.

For what it's worth, Brookline has a restaurant run by a real Italian (Munch goes to Mateo's Cucina Italiana), a Greek restaurant run by a guy from Cyprus It's Greek To Me), Egyptian restaurant run by people actually from Egypt (Isis), and Lebanese by Lebanese immigrants (Pitaland Mediterranean Bakery | Since 1969 » Café). Mexican immigrants operate a taco stand (Las Palamas), which isn't really a restaurant, but is close enough if the subject is trying to find local food places run by actual immigrants. I wish there was some Indian closer than the one in Banksville.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKyank View Post
The Mills was a terrible location choice, not sure what planning models ever thought it would be a success.
I second the location problem for Pittsburgh Mills. With adequate shopping present in North, West, South, and East population centers who is going to drive across the city or county to go to a bunch of stores that exist everywhere else? Mills can poach a few people who live nearby, but it lacks the strong population base that Ross Park or South Hills Village, et al have. Maybe, though, a developer can clear cut all the forest between 28 and the Turnpike, build a bunch of new housing, and try to lure residents from another part of the Pittsburgh metro to move there. After decades of decline the Pittsburgh MSA just recently surpassed the 1980 population level (Pittsburgh MSA - population), and look at all the sprawl that occurred from 1980 - 2000...now that the region is experiencing a little growth it's time to really spread out, which is maybe what the Mills developer is counting on.

Old 04-01-2013, 10:04 PM

1,723 posts, read 2,228,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geeo View Post
Yeah, that's always a problem when a rival developer builds a new plaza near an existing one. They just suck some of the life out of the old shopping center (which isn't even very old). But that's the way it goes - there isn't any master plan, since all of those little townships are competing for the tax revenue and welcome any developer that wants to put up the cinder block and blacktop. Eventually, all those shopping centers will start to decline as new ones are built nearby.
That seems to be the way it goes around here. Even around the malls themselves freestanding stores pop up and the original draw - the mall - declines. Internet retail is only going to put more pressure on those stores.

Old 04-02-2013, 08:15 AM

606 posts, read 945,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burghgirl17 View Post
The way I shop is very different than the way my mom, and her mom before her shopped. If I need something, the first place I look is Amazon.
Agreed. I went a few years ago to the Mills because their H & M has a kids section. Otherwise I've been to an indoor mall a grand total of once in the eight years I've lived here -- we had a gift certificate to one of the big department stores for our housewarming and went to Robinson to buy towels.

I don't shop recreationally, except for yarn and sometimes books. I'll go to Bakery Square to go to Anthropologie sometimes, but for the most part my clothes come from one of the consignment places or online (and I keep my wardrobe small, so I don't buy clothes often anyhow). Kids clothes are hand-me-downs, consignment, or online. I can't think of anything that would induce me to deal with a mall.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh