Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2013, 06:52 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,049,575 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by otter119 View Post
When you say "disarray", what exactly do you mean? Are they looking to add more schools or are they having problems with the current situation and just living with it?
They have serious budget problems because they spent a fortune on an overly extravagant football stadium of all things. Since they can't sell the stadium, they've had to cut back elsewhere. There was a moment when the arts were cut back, or talk of the arts being cut back. After parent protest, I believe most of the arts were saved and other things were cut---like gym class for grade school was substantially lowered to the bare state minimum and high school students could opt out of gym or something like that. There were some layoffs too. For this budget, it all worked out to a degree, but the serious financial problems create an uncertain future the classes and services currently being offered by the district.

ETA: The district doesn't view the mega elementary school as a problem. It wanted a big elementary school. It was just built in 2007. Retired Coach lumped two trains of thought together: the size of the elementary school and [budget] disarray. Their recent spending focus has been on expanding the high school. What's most important is they don't have the money to do anything. Taxes keep going up, stuff keeps getting cut, and they keep spending, spending, spending.

Last edited by Hopes; 04-01-2013 at 07:53 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2013, 09:29 PM

1,304 posts, read 3,035,416 times
Quote:
When you say "disarray", what exactly do you mean? Are they looking to add more schools or are they having problems with the current situation and just living with it?
Hopes answered this question for you more extensively and thoroughly than I could ever aspire. Most of the news coming from the Pine-Richland School District reverberates the ongoing message that the school district is seriously devoid of any effective leadership. Ongoing irresponsible fiscal decisions. misplaced educational priorities, the unabated long-term debt, and serious under-utilization of teaching personnel directly instructing the students are all issues. The district has lost the majority of its best middle administrators (principals, directors, assistant principals, etc) due to resignations during the past two years, as well as, reluctantly fired a largely ineffective superintendent, but giving her a raise at the same time. The teachers are working without a contract, and a possible strike could be in the offing. Test scores are dropping relevant to districts nearby, with Eden Hall Elementary having the worst district scores of all. The district is in total disarray, so bad that, when asked, the assistant superintendent declined to be considered to even apply for the job of superintendent.

Old 04-02-2013, 05:23 AM

12,526 posts, read 17,546,779 times
Hopes is just trying to win another 500 bucks. Stinkin suburbanite.

Old 04-02-2013, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copanut View Post
Hopes is just trying to win another 500 bucks. Stinkin suburbanite.
I can't win $500 again. I swear it's true. Once you win a contest, all prior posts aren't counted again in future competitions.

No matter how much information I post, I will never be able to overcome the statistical part of the judging for the $500 competitions.

Old 04-02-2013, 08:04 PM

30 posts, read 45,821 times
Hope and Copanut, I appreciate your input on this thread, but please keep the bickering to a minimum.

Old 04-02-2013, 08:06 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,614,858 times
Quote:
Hope and Copanut, I appreciate your input on this thread, but please keep the bickering to a minimum.
Bickering? LOL! Hopes and Copanut flirt quite a bit on here. It's all in good fun I assure you.

Old 04-02-2013, 08:25 PM

30 posts, read 45,821 times
So... It sound like the great schools rating that Pine-Richland is currently pulling is a bunch of crap. That very appropriately makes an easy decision to drop PR down on my list of targeted cities. That leaves NA and Hampton on the top of the list. Can someone speak to the class sizes at NA once the little people reach High School.

Thanks,

Old 04-02-2013, 09:32 PM

9,150 posts, read 10,894,540 times
Quote:
A little bossy, aren't you, for someone asking for help?

Old 04-03-2013, 01:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
Bickering? LOL! Hopes and Copanut flirt quite a bit on here. It's all in good fun I assure you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jay5835 View Post
A little bossy, aren't you, for someone asking for help?
You guys are the best! I've got Copanut accusing me of brownnosing and Nurse Ratched thinking she's Yac!

Quote:
Originally Posted by otter119
Can someone speak to the class sizes at NA once the little people reach High School.
Classroom sizes are the same at both schools, but NA is a much better match for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh