Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2013, 07:47 AM

3,463 posts, read 4,644,999 times

Advertisements

Just discovered this video of historic buildings and neighborhoods that were demolished mostly in the 50s and 60s in the name of "progress".

Lost Historic Buildings of Pittsburgh (Demolished) - YouTube
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2013, 07:55 AM

3,463 posts, read 4,644,999 times
Just found an article on America's oldest cities. Pittsburgh is in the top 10. San Francisco is number 11.

America's Oldest Cities | Newgeography.com

Old 02-14-2013, 08:09 AM

32,616 posts, read 77,591,433 times
Although that video is depressing I will still say that Pittsburgh has done a much better job in terms of historic preservation than many other peer cities. Minneapolis, for example, while being an amazing city in its own right, has very little "history" left thanks to "urban renewal" while its twin, St. Paul, is just the opposite, with a historic vibe.

I continue to be impressed by the contrast between old and new in Downtown Pittsburgh. One of my favorite blocks is Liberty Avenue right around its intersection with Seventh Avenue. I love getting off Crosstown Boulevard at the Seventh Avenue exit when I'm making my deliveries and just admiring getting closer and closer to that historic row of buildings set amid modern skyscrapers.

Distant view shortly after leaving the offramp.

A little closer.

A little closer.

POW! Right in the kisser!

With that being said I hope a developer will build a new building to fill that "gap-tooth" that currently serves as a narrow parking lot. I also hope to see all of these buildings restored to their former grandeur. Such a great block!

Old 02-14-2013, 08:12 AM

32,616 posts, read 77,591,433 times
I think the biggest losses in the city in terms of history were probably during the "redevelopment" of the Lower Hill for the Civic Arena, the "new" East Liberty that proved to be a huge failure, the "ahead of the curve" Allegheny Commons Mall on the North Side, as well as the decimation of the urban fabric of Deutschtown (East Allegheny) for I-279. It's still a pipe dream of mine to build a deck-park over I-279 someday to help re-establish the grid in that neighborhood.

Old 02-14-2013, 08:57 AM

14,352 posts, read 17,017,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
I think the biggest losses in the city in terms of history were probably during the "redevelopment" of the Lower Hill for the Civic Arena, the "new" East Liberty that proved to be a huge failure, the "ahead of the curve" Allegheny Commons Mall on the North Side, as well as the decimation of the urban fabric of Deutschtown (East Allegheny) for I-279. It's still a pipe dream of mine to build a deck-park over I-279 someday to help re-establish the grid in that neighborhood.
There was also the destruction of Beaver Avenue to make 65, along with the near-complete obliteration of Schweitzer Lock.

We did dodge some major bullets though. There were plans to demolish all of the Mexican War Streets and replace them with giant "towers in the park." They also planned to turn East Carson Street into a highway and demolish everything residential/commercial towards the river, to make a giant, uninhabited industrial area ala Chateau.

Old 02-14-2013, 09:17 AM

1,445 posts, read 1,971,944 times
Here's a blog post on Null Space about the fifties plan to raze the War Streets and put up giant apartment blocks.

Old 02-14-2013, 10:19 AM

1,334 posts, read 1,806,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juliegt View Post
Just found an article on America's oldest cities. Pittsburgh is in the top 10. San Francisco is number 11.

America's Oldest Cities | Newgeography.com
Pittsburgh is nowhere close to being the 10th oldest city in the US, but it may very well be the 10th oldest MAJOR city in the US as compared to, for example, Salem, MA, or Saint Augustine, FL. It depends on how you define "major".

I think of Pittsburgh as either being the last colonial city or the first post-colonial city, or both.

And that Mexican War Streets destructo-plan looks atrocious. I'm glad it didn't happen.

Old 02-14-2013, 11:09 AM

802 posts, read 1,321,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
Allegheny Commons Mall on the North Side, as well as the decimation of the urban fabric of Deutschtown (East Allegheny) for I-279. It's still a pipe dream of mine to build a deck-park over I-279 someday to help re-establish the grid in that neighborhood.
The total decimation of Deutschtown and Sweitzer (spelling?) Loch to make way for I-279 is an atrocity of the highest order as far as I'm concerned. An entire neighborhood destroyed.

Old 02-14-2013, 11:18 AM

281 posts, read 340,574 times
Quote:
The total decimation of Deutschtown and Sweitzer (spelling?) Loch to make way for I-279 is an atrocity of the highest order as far as I'm concerned. An entire neighborhood destroyed.

There's no disputing that that sucked, but it happened 30+ years ago. The thing that we CAN do something about is the incremental destruction of what's left of Deutschtown, particularly but not limited to East Deutschtown. Some of Pittsburgh's most historic and oldest houses lie on both sides of the highway, but are being demolished due to both blight and development pressures.

Old 02-14-2013, 11:18 AM

1,445 posts, read 1,971,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debbie1125 View Post
The Beaver Avenue shopping district on the other side of The Lower North Side was totally demolished for Rt 65. Here's some photos of it from Pitt's archive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh