Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2013, 03:52 PM

90 posts, read 131,665 times

Advertisements

My husband will be commuting from our apartment in Squirrel Hill to Rowan Road in Cranberry starting May 1.
Google Maps suggests it will take 30-40 minutes. Thoughts?
Also, does anyone have any tips (when to leave, optimal routes, shortcuts, etc.)?

Thanks all!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2013, 04:03 PM

7,541 posts, read 10,258,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smallfox View Post
My husband will be commuting from our apartment in Squirrel Hill to Rowan Road in Cranberry starting May 1.
Google Maps suggests it will take 30-40 minutes. Thoughts?
Also, does anyone have any tips (when to leave, optimal routes, shortcuts, etc.)?

Thanks all!

Its not that bad of a commute going out, as you'll be going against the main flow. Coming in the Parkway East isn't bad as the traffic backs up on the other side of the Squirrel tunnels and he'll be going against the main flow of traffic on I 279 and I79. No tunnels, and just the Vets Bridge heading north.

Coming in during the p.m. rush is a tad tougher, likely to run into problems on the Crosstown. I'd be more inclined to take the Vets Bridge back in and stick to the Blvd of the Allies and out through Schenley Park, particularly for the northern sectors of Squirrel Hill.

Old 02-06-2013, 05:52 PM

9,912 posts, read 24,655,128 times
Sounds a little crazy, but it's true that the 279 part is truly against heavy traffic. There is steady traffic but moving at complete highway speed unless there's an accident or whatever. Now, after the merge onto 79 though, there is plenty of traffic commuting into Cranberry. Not enough to back up on 79 really, but getting around Cranberry at, say, 8am is not at all traffic-free.

Most of the time I think this is going to take 45 minutes in the morning. I don't see how it's possible to do this in 30 even speeding with zero traffic and hitting all the lights green. Remember, you can't exit 79 at Rowan Rd; you have to exit at 228 and then maneuver your way to there. If something goes wrong it can easily take over an hour. The allowance time door to door should be at least an hour.

Coming back you'll have a lot of company trying to get out of Cranberry plus the city commuters leaving towards the east as an additional barrier (usually this won't be too bad in the AM if you just use the Parkway and 579 as mentioned.) Coming back is all the same route in reverse, but you would NOT want to get on the Parkway at that time. The exit ramp at Squirrel Hill is an awful backup outbound at that time of day.

Realistic commute time is 45-60 min range. With any luck most days it will tend towards the low end of that, and that is more likely on the morning trip than evening I would think.

Old 02-07-2013, 08:28 AM

12,526 posts, read 17,544,696 times
Take the back way. Route 8 to 228 to Franklin Rd to Rowan Rd. Much more relaxing.

Old 02-07-2013, 08:41 AM

9,150 posts, read 10,892,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Copanut View Post
Take the back way. Route 8 to 228 to Franklin Rd to Rowan Rd. Much more relaxing.
Would that work well if you live in the South Side Flats?

Old 02-07-2013, 08:44 AM

12,526 posts, read 17,544,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jay5835 View Post
Would that work well if you live in the South Side Flats?

Sure, just go through Oakland to hit Route 8 by the Highland Bridge.

Old 02-07-2013, 08:45 AM

9,150 posts, read 10,892,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Copanut View Post
Sure, just go through Oakland to hit Route 8 by the Highland Bridge.
Thanks. A friend of mine lives on the SS and works for Westinghouse in Cranberry, and he just hates the drive home on 279.

Old 02-07-2013, 09:11 AM

9,912 posts, read 24,655,128 times
Might be tricky picking out the best route across the city streets, but yeah, I could see that being worth a try. Might depend upon where on Rowan, though; it's pretty ideal for Westinghouse. It might also be one of those things where it's best to take the highways in the morning and the back way in the evening. It really seems like the evening drive would be the worse of the two using the traditional highway route(s). For the South Side you might consider going through the Hill. Use the Birmingham Bridge and 40th St to Rt 28, making your way down Herron Ave, etc. (or up, as the case may be, and there is some backup on that in the evening).

But then again, it is worth noting that eastbound traffic on 228 is REALLY heavy in evening rush. If you can beat that out of there, maybe leaving at 4:30 or so you'd beat it, that would be okay. But there's a ton of traffic heading east at that time of day from people heading to homes in Seven Fields and Adams and so forth, backs up a lot through Seven Fields. You might need an alternative to 228 to make that work very well. But if you use roads south of 228 they don't really help because they curve in a lot of useless directions (e.g. Bakerstown Rd between Franklin and Rt 8).

It would take some trying out to see if using 228 to reverse in the evening would really be worth it both hassle-wise and time-wise.

Old 02-07-2013, 09:23 AM

4,359 posts, read 7,529,977 times
Another option would be the parkway to the turnpike. All highways. Just a thought.

Old 02-07-2013, 10:09 AM

1,072 posts, read 1,946,067 times
I live in Cranberry and when I need to go to Squirrel Hill I take the turnpike to Rt 8, the Rt 28 to the Highland Park bridge and up past the zoo through Highland Park. Seems to be pretty direct. But then I never travel it during commuting hours.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh