Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2009, 04:51 PM

109 posts, read 141,916 times

Advertisements

Hello all!

I will be moving to PGH in January and have been looking everywhere from Robinson, Sewickley, and Moon to Squirrel Hill, Frick Park, and Shadyside.

The apartment complexes I've found near Robinson (Ventana, Highlands, Chestnut Ridge, Waterford Landing, etc) seem too high-priced and the reviews I've read online haven't been all that promising. The ones that are lower priced seem a little outdated and have bad reviews as well.

Instead, I've been thinking about renting out a 1BR through Mozart Management (or Walnut Capital/Franklin West) closer to downtown in the Squirrel Hill and Shadyside areas. I've had much more luck finding something reasonable in this area. I'm finished with school, but will only be 21 and am looking for an area where I can experience nightlife, culture, as well as a large selection of restaurants. A theatre that shows independent films not too far away would be nice, too. Also, I feel like being closer to the city would be better in terms of experiencing more of what it has to offer since I've never been to Pittsburgh nor know anyone there. I've heard that the SouthSide would be good, but I think I'd prefer something more quieter.

I will be working very close to the airport, but I feel like the commute won't be that bad since I'll be going against traffic?? I'm not sure. By mapquest, it says the commute will be about 30 min. from this area, which isn't bad at all, if that's correct.

Any advice??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2009, 05:06 PM

419 posts, read 448,507 times
If you live in Squirrel Hill you will be right off the parkway. I would estimate it about 30 minutes of a commute to the Airport. However, coming home during rush hour will add 15 more minutes because coming into the Fort Pitt tunnels will still have traffic backed up coming into Pittsburgh. Your style of life you are looking for will be found in Shadyside/Squirrel Hill area. There is a independent theater in Regent Square. I don't want to live in Regent Square yet, because Frick park is a big baracade between that hood and the rest of the East End.

Squirrel Hill has no nightlife, but a great amount of restaurants, shops, and access to two parks. It has a few bars. There is some nightlife in Shadyside, but it is slightly more difficult to get to the airport because it isn't right off the Parkway like Squirrel Hill.

Also, there is a big difference between Robinson and Squirrel Hill/Shadyside. Your talking between surburban apartment complexes or city apartment buildings. What is your style? A city neighborhood, or open suburban apartments?

Old 12-20-2009, 05:47 PM

1,437 posts, read 3,777,168 times
Your commute between Shadyside and the airport will likely take longer than 30 mins most days, probably significantly longer. I commute from Robinson to near Crafton each morning and see the Parkway West backed up most mornings OUTBOUND from the I79 interchange towards the airport, and backed up inbound in the evenings in the same spots. Next to downtown, the airport corridor has the most jobs in the region and there are a lot of people doing the reverse commute from the city for work. And then you have tunnel traffic to deal with which is always backed up at rush hour.

You might want to split the difference and look someplace around Greentree or Crafton which puts you closer to the city, but west of the tunnel nonsense.

Old 12-20-2009, 06:30 PM

What about Bellevue? Seems a bit closer...is it a safe area? Does it offer any good restaurant/shopping/culture?? Thanks!

Old 12-21-2009, 09:37 AM

31 posts, read 67,355 times
jsut came here from Chicago myself...

Check out the Shady side commons. A little pricey - no 2 units are the same - GREAT location. units themsemves are a little dated in terms of kitchens/baths but the lofty ambiance more than makes up for it.

Can walk (about 6-8 blocks) to walnut street and a little further walk to eillsworth shops/bars/foos.

As for airport - gonna have to drive 20 min. There is a bus, but I have not done much research on it.

Old 12-21-2009, 09:43 AM

567 posts, read 1,162,193 times
Bellevue is nice, it has a "small town" feel with a little main street, and it's not too far from Downtown and other neighborhoods. There's not as much nearby/to do as Squirrel Hill or Shadyside (for example) though, although I hear that quite a few students have been moving in lately.

Old 12-21-2009, 01:09 PM

4,359 posts, read 7,533,270 times
You probably have to decide whether you want a short commute or proximity to nightlife. If I were your age I would take the long commute and be closer to the action. My choice is Shadyside. Another option would be the Heinz Lofts on the North Side. From there it is easy to get to the Fort Pitt tunnels or you can avoid them by taking the west end bridge. Same goes for the Lincoln Park apartments, or whatever they are called, which are right along the Allegheny River.

Old 12-21-2009, 06:11 PM

632 posts, read 1,740,417 times
My husband has been doing this commute for six years now. It's the only aspect of our living situation here in Pittsburgh that we really hate and which we have been unable to fix to anyone's satisfaction.

His awesome job happens to be outside of the city, in Robinson, and now he doesn't want to disrupt his upwardly mobile career path and very decent salary by changing companies. But we absolutely cannot stand to live in the suburbs. And my work is in Oakland, and I rely on public transportation - parking a car in Oakland is totally out of the question and the bus situation from BFE suburban hell to Oakland is less than optimal. And all our friends live in the East End, and we want to continue renovating old houses as a hobby. And did I mention that our souls would die if we had to live in the suburbs?

So basically we're screwed no matter what. After much discussion, we finally decided that the lesser of two evils would be living in the city and just trying to live with his horrible commute.

His commute from the East End to Robinson is 2 hours total daily, not because the distance is so long, but because he has to cross the Fort Pitt Bridge and Tunnel during rush hour, which is absolutely awful.

It makes him cranky every day, and reduces the time we have to spend together at night. In short, both of us hate the whole situation involving his commute to Robinson, and if I were empress of the universe I would demand that his job move somewhere where he didn't have to go through a bridge or a tunnel to and from work.

So there you have it - an opinion from someone who has been living with the downside of that commute for 6 years now.

But I still couldn't say what you should do. It sounds like you're in the same situation we are - the lifestyle you want is incompatible with the neighborhoods that will allow you a reasonable commute. I wish you the best of luck in figuring that one out, or at least better luck than we had.

Last edited by subdivisions; 12-21-2009 at 06:38 PM..

Old 12-21-2009, 07:13 PM

9,912 posts, read 24,663,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smithsl5 View Post
What about Bellevue? Seems a bit closer...is it a safe area? Does it offer any good restaurant/shopping/culture?? Thanks!
In addition to the other things said, know that Bellevue is a dry town. Really. No alcohol-serving places at all, although you can BYOB (bought somewhere else) to Vivo if it's still there.

Old 12-21-2009, 11:02 PM

Thank you for all the advice! I started checking out this forum once I got the job and I can't begin to tell you all how grateful I am for everything I've read-I know I am going to LOVE Pittsburgh, no matter the neighborhood I end up in. Speaking of neighborhoods, what's the difference between Frick Park and Point Breeze? I know this would be just a tad longer commute, but seems much cheaper than Shadyside! I checked out Shadyside Commons, but no availability! Gonna keep looking, I think I'll have to choose somewhere closer to the city over proximity to work. Living in suburbia at 21 doesn't sound all that appealing...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh