Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2012, 01:17 PM

12,526 posts, read 17,554,414 times

Advertisements

For my two cents, large SDs stink. My Senior class had over 700 kids, I was lucky to ride the pine and be 2nd home room rep. I realize things change, but going back to my last reunion I met 5 people that I had graduated with for the first time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2012, 02:28 PM

20,273 posts, read 33,029,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by squarian View Post
Well, why not just end the silliness and make the IUs the primary administrative level of public education?
It looks like Pittsburgh/Mt Oliver is one IU, and the rest of Allegheny County another. That would certainly be a plausible plan for two districts in this area, although it would also lead to some interesting dynamics.

Old 08-20-2012, 02:43 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,670,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by squarian View Post
Readers of this thread might find this post at Keystone Politics of interest:

Why Not Put the Intermediate Units in Charge of Schools? - Keystone Politics

I've made this point, or something very similar to it, here myself in the past; one result of PA's superfluity of school districts is that they are often too small to have the sorts of resources and services school districts are expected to have. The obvious solution would simply be to merge districts until they are large enough, but instead PA created super-districts called Intermediate Units to do the things districts usually do elsewhere but can't here because many districts are too small.

Well, why not just end the silliness and make the IUs the primary administrative level of public education?
There are only 29 Intermediate Units in PA. See the map at PA_School_Districts_and_IUs
This would create larger school districts than Maryland, which has 25 districts that are based on counties and one for City of Baltimore. Some of the Intermediate units cover 3-4 counties.

I had earlier on this thread (post #12) showed that based on these ratios of districts to population in Virgina and North Carolina, PA would have between 277 and 355 school districts. This isn't to say that they have the perfect school district structure but it points to the idea that PA might be inefficient with its number of districts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copanut View Post
For my two cents, large SDs stink. My Senior class had over 700 kids, I was lucky to ride the pine and be 2nd home room rep. I realize things change, but going back to my last reunion I met 5 people that I had graduated with for the first time.
I had almost 600 hundred in my senior class, but that is definitely not the norm especially in Western PA. There were at least 25 counties in PA that graduated less than 700 students this past spring.

Old 08-20-2012, 03:35 PM

4,684 posts, read 4,575,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
It looks like Pittsburgh/Mt Oliver is one IU, and the rest of Allegheny County another. That would certainly be a plausible plan for two districts in this area, although it would also lead to some interesting dynamics.
The two big-city IUs (IU 2 City of Pittsburgh/Mt. Oliver and IU 26 Philadelphia) are oddities, it has to be admitted; almost coterminous with their big-city district, so what justifies the duplication? I suspect they exist largely because legislators in 1971 (when the IUs were created) were habituated to special statutory status for "cities of the first class" and "cities of the second class", though no doubt there were particular political exigencies at the time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post
This would create larger school districts than Maryland, which has 25 districts that are based on counties and one for City of Baltimore. Some of the Intermediate units cover 3-4 counties. I had earlier on this thread (post #12) showed that based on these ratios of districts to population in Virgina and North Carolina, PA would have between 277 and 355 school districts. This isn't to say that they have the perfect school district structure but it points to the idea that PA might be inefficient with its number of districts.
I think district consolidation is necessary in PA for many reasons, but I'm not irrevocably committed to any particular plan. The post at Keystone raises the IUs as a possible framework, but I think county-sized districts might work well too. In my view, the key principle is to ensure that all future citizens have access to some minimally-acceptable public education, while at the moment that is clearly not the case in PA, so I'd be willing to back any plan which offered an end to the zipcode lottery and the wide disparities in school funding and resources in PA.

Old 08-20-2012, 03:56 PM

1,146 posts, read 1,414,326 times
This piece is three years old, but still relevant to this discussion: The Next Page: For a New Allegheny County -- 26 school districts, 26 municipalities - Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh