Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2010, 05:58 AM

20,273 posts, read 33,049,132 times

Advertisements

Here is the article:

Top public schools: Large U.S. cities - Raleigh, N.C. | GreatSchools

A Pittsburgh-related excerpt:

Quote:
Pittsburgh Public Schools is on the move. A few years ago, the district — the second-largest in the state, with 26,000 students in 66 schools — made a commitment to improve its faltering performance, and the steady improvements in rankings and test scores are proof that its efforts are taking hold. AYP scores are rising every year and even exceeding expectations, while student performance at all levels continues to improve. And Pittsburgh — called one of the most livable U.S. cities by everyone from The Economist to the Places Rated Almanac — has a low cost of living and low crime stats. Besides, it’s the home of the first Big Mac and the banana split. What family could ask for more?
The other cities were Raleigh, Colorado Springs, Mesa, Honolulu, Virginia Beach, Portland, San Francisco, Tampa, and San Jose.

Of course, as always these rankings have to be taken with a huge grain of salt. However, I think it is very much true the Pittsburgh Public Schools are improving, and it is nice to see them getting some recognition.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2010, 07:27 AM

16,259 posts, read 43,242,215 times
Honolulu is on the list? I thought Hawaii was well-known not to have good public schools.

Old 04-07-2010, 07:46 AM

296 posts, read 561,629 times
Perhaps the question is 'how bad are these other school districts?' While the Pittsburgh district has come a long way, how much of this 'hype' is generated by focusing on new and innovative plans that affect just a small percentage of students while not examining how the educational experiences of many of the students are still of fairly low quality?

Old 04-07-2010, 07:57 AM

4,359 posts, read 7,541,669 times
You have to take this article with a grain of salt. Apparently, Raleigh it ranked high even though their school board just had a shift in the balance of power and major changes are on the way. Read about Wake County schools. Pretty interesting stuff. The reason for the change in power is that they vowed to stop busing kids based on the desire for economic diversity. My niece goes to school there and she is bused past two schools to get to her school. Lot of time on the bus. The new regime has promised to go back to neighborhood elementary schools. They also go year round until high school when it reverts back to the traditional schedule.

Old 04-07-2010, 08:11 AM

2,043 posts, read 5,057,320 times
http://bestsmileys.com/mouthzippedshut/2.gif (broken link)

Old 04-07-2010, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Honolulu is on the list? I thought Hawaii was well-known not to have good public schools.
According to the writeup, they have small schools, low student-teacher ratios, some excellent elementary schools and one excellent high school. I'm not sure, but from the writeup it sounds like they may be distinguishing Honolulu schools from Hawaiian schools in general (even though they are all part of one district).

Old 04-07-2010, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grimacista View Post
Perhaps the question is 'how bad are these other school districts?' While the Pittsburgh district has come a long way, how much of this 'hype' is generated by focusing on new and innovative plans that affect just a small percentage of students while not examining how the educational experiences of many of the students are still of fairly low quality?
Certainly it has been a struggle for many large school districts, but as the writeup noted test scores in general are approving. Generally, each individual program may be relevant only to some students, but I think the cumulative effect can be relevant to a lot more students.

Edit: By the way, I'm not suggesting the Pittsburgh Public Schools take a victory lap and then stop improving. Again, I just think they do deserve some recognition and encouragement regarding what they are trying to do.

Old 04-07-2010, 10:18 AM

357 posts, read 889,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
According to the writeup, they have small schools, low student-teacher ratios, some excellent elementary schools and one excellent high school. I'm not sure, but from the writeup it sounds like they may be distinguishing Honolulu schools from Hawaiian schools in general (even though they are all part of one district).

Hawaii Public Schools: home of "Furlough Friday"

Hawaii schools to move to four-day week in state cost-cutting measure | World news | guardian.co.uk

Old 04-07-2010, 08:27 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,913,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post

Of course, as always these rankings have to be taken with a huge grain of salt. However, I think it is very much true the Pittsburgh Public Schools are improving, and it is nice to see them getting some recognition.
A box of salt is more like it. That write-up on Colorado Springs really cracked me up. They are turning off streetlights and traffic lights down there, have removed trash cans from the city parks, and a lot of other cost-cutting measures. If they can spin what I do know, they've probably spun the rest, too.

Old 04-07-2010, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
A box of salt is more like it. That write-up on Colorado Springs really cracked me up. They are turning off streetlights and traffic lights down there, have removed trash cans from the city parks, and a lot of other cost-cutting measures. If they can spin what I do know, they've probably spun the rest, too.
That doesn't sound like school district stuff. Of course I know nothing about the Colorado Springs schools personally, but here is the writeup:

Quote:
About an hour from Denver and second in size to the state capital, Colorado Springs has a number of school districts that cover various neighborhoods. District 11 is the largest, with more than 65 schools and a wide range of special programs including International Baccalaureate, CORE Knowledge, Advanced Placement, GATE, and a comprehensive career and technology one. The district also hosts the only public Montessori program in the area. And it seems to be working: More than 80% of its students go on to higher education.

Other districts include Academy District 20, also among the top rated in the state; Harrison District 2, one of the most diverse; Cheyenne Mountain School District 12, smaller but with almost 90% of students going on to college; and Falcon District 49, one of the fastest growing in the area. There are even more districts, each with its own unique community and each showing high achievement and a commitment to excellence.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
View detailed profiles of: