Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2012, 01:35 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WesternPilgrim View Post
Omaha is historically Catholic, but isn't it just as socially liberal as Pittsburgh today?

If one wants a seriously Catholic city, I think your best bet is Lafayette, LA.

But there's another option for the OP: a moderate-to-conservative non-Catholic city with a Latin Mass community. Lincoln, NE is better than Omaha in that regard. There's also Tulsa, OK which has an FSSP parish and a nearby traditionalist Benedictine community.
Omaha is predominantly Lutheran. I would call Omaha fairly socially liberal, or at least "libertarian". Most people don't try to get in your face there.

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-.../1765990/posts
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2012, 02:07 PM

1,723 posts, read 2,226,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Most cities are going to be more moderate or liberal than their home state. I don't think the OP will find any large metro area* that is offensively hostile to him or his lifestyle, which is kind of the point of moderate liberalism. If he is seeking a place where the majority are very like-minded then he is best off in innumerable small PA towns (although there probably won't be many Catholics, and many of them may actually not think so highly of Roman Catholics) or probably a wealthy Southern or Midwestern enclave in or near a major city (again, probably not that many Catholics).

Houston, Texas has a gay female mayor; she and her partner have adopted children. Are there conservative folks in Houston's massive city limits? Ha. Are they fleeing Houston? No.

*The Omaha City Council link eventually led me to Omaha-Council Bluffs Metropolitan Area, and speaking of urban areas, the 8 County metro has a combined population of 877,110 in 4,402 sq. mi.

Old 08-12-2012, 02:13 PM

14,353 posts, read 17,030,476 times
It also needs to be said that virtually all of the incorporated area of Douglas County is in Omaha. If Pittsburgh included virtually all of Allegheny County, it would still be Democratic leaning, but not quite so overwhelmingly.

Old 08-12-2012, 02:58 PM

2,290 posts, read 3,827,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
People here talk much more loudly in casual conversation than is the norm in New England. I don't know what part of this is hard to understand.

Mind you, I was used to this, given my extended family in the Philadelphia area talks the same way. It's still notably different than where I grew up though.
What part of New England are you from? In my experience, Bostonians and Rhode Islanders can be quite loud. Mainers on the other hand...

Old 08-12-2012, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evergrey View Post
What part of New England are you from? In my experience, Bostonians and Rhode Islanders can be quite loud. Mainers on the other hand...
I grew up mainly in Connecticut, and went to college in Western Massachusetts.

Old 08-12-2012, 03:07 PM

2,290 posts, read 3,827,428 times
Williams - BA Economics ... I'm guessing

Old 08-12-2012, 03:15 PM

Quote:
It also needs to be said that virtually all of the incorporated area of Douglas County is in Omaha. If Pittsburgh included virtually all of Allegheny County, it would still be Democratic leaning, but not quite so overwhelmingly.
Oh, not this again!

Anyway, your statement in bold is untrue.

Fileouglas County Nebraska Incorporated and Unincorporated areas Omaha Highlighted.svg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 08-12-2012, 03:46 PM

Quote:
The only other incorporated municipalities in Douglas County are gray on that map. The white area is unincorporated. Hence my statement is correct.

Old 08-12-2012, 03:54 PM

Quote:
The only other incorporated municipalities in Douglas County are gray on that map. The white area is unincorporated. Hence my statement is correct.
Actually, that is untrue as well, and the comparison you made is to all of Allegheny County.

Douglas County, Nebraska - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Communities

Cities
Bennington
Omaha
Ralston
Valley

Villages
Boys Town
Waterloo

Old 08-12-2012, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Actually, that is untrue as well, and the comparison you made is to all of Allegheny County.

Douglas County, Nebraska - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Communities

Cities
Bennington
Omaha
Ralston
Valley

Villages
Boys Town
Waterloo
79% of Douglas County's population is in Omaha.
25% of Allegheny County's population is in Pittsburgh.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh