Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2012, 08:16 PM

9,912 posts, read 24,666,746 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Here's a good way to do it!

Match up the red counties in the Catholic map with the red counties in the election map.

You'll quickly discover that Catholics tend to be socially liberal, and very few conservative areas are predominantly catholic.

Areas of North and South Dekota, eastern Nebraska, central Kansas, and northern Montana, are the only main areas that overlap.
Eh, looks like you could make some case for upstate NY, but of course the state on the whole would be less conservative generally. The red doesn't get as bright there, but it does tend towards red.

The high Catholic areas line up with the purple areas mainly. That is not too surprising in my experience.

Northwestern South Dakota, extreme eastern Colorado, I don't know what's in these places (as well as the Nebraska, Kansas, etc). I get the feeling they're going to be pretty rural. And county-wide basis doesn't always tell the story anyway.

You can see around Pittsburgh that surrounding counties are still fairly purple, a reddish purple seems like, but it's still a split.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2012, 09:37 PM

9,351 posts, read 13,017,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Q-tip motha View Post
Why not take the extra step and openly say "I don't want any black, gay, nonchristian neighbors" around my family? If the OP is going to be ignorant, why not just admit what he/she is really thinking?
There are no words.

Old 08-09-2012, 10:28 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,083,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greg42 View Post
Eh, looks like you could make some case for upstate NY, but of course the state on the whole would be less conservative generally. The red doesn't get as bright there, but it does tend towards red.

The high Catholic areas line up with the purple areas mainly. That is not too surprising in my experience.

Northwestern South Dakota, extreme eastern Colorado, I don't know what's in these places (as well as the Nebraska, Kansas, etc). I get the feeling they're going to be pretty rural. And county-wide basis doesn't always tell the story anyway.

You can see around Pittsburgh that surrounding counties are still fairly purple, a reddish purple seems like, but it's still a split.
Based on what he shared (and read his other threads!), Pittsburgh is not right for him.

I noticed upstate NY but discounted it for not having a large city since the OP wants culture.

I think it's a good tool for the OP to use to narrow down regions of the country.

If he wants a city, it looks like Omaha is the ticket.

Old 08-11-2012, 02:36 AM

4,254 posts, read 5,608,986 times
From what I hear, the Latin Mass community at St. Boniface is thriving and one of the largest in the country. However, I have also been told a number of times that PA is unusually burdensome when it comes to homeschooling. I'm a traditional Catholic and really like Pittsburgh. The "live and let live" attitude is a holdover from when Pittsburgh was a seriously Catholic city and tolerance was natural within that paradigm. Unfortunately the Catholicism there today is lukewarm and in decline, but it still has potential.

Old 08-11-2012, 02:42 AM

4,254 posts, read 5,608,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
If he wants a city, it looks like Omaha is the ticket.
Omaha is historically Catholic, but isn't it just as socially liberal as Pittsburgh today?

If one wants a seriously Catholic city, I think your best bet is Lafayette, LA.

But there's another option for the OP: a moderate-to-conservative non-Catholic city with a Latin Mass community. Lincoln, NE is better than Omaha in that regard. There's also Tulsa, OK which has an FSSP parish and a nearby traditionalist Benedictine community.

Old 08-11-2012, 04:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WesternPilgrim View Post
Omaha is historically Catholic, but isn't it just as socially liberal as Pittsburgh today?
Nope. Omaha usually votes republican. Pittsburgh usually votes democrat.

Old 08-11-2012, 09:46 AM

20,273 posts, read 33,029,222 times
FWIW, Obama won Nebraska's 2nd District in 2008:

Nebraska's 2nd congressional district - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 08-11-2012, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
FWIW, Obama won Nebraska's 2nd District in 2008:

Nebraska's 2nd congressional district - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
I'm very aware. It was so much against the grain of Omaha that it was referred to as a "surprising victory" for Obama. I doubt it will happen a second time.

Old 08-11-2012, 07:36 PM

2,236 posts, read 2,977,789 times
I think Greenfield has what the OP is looking for but I don't know how conservative it is. Greenfield is or was a very Catholic neighborhood back in the day. The neighborhood was predominantly Irish and Italian and it revolved around Saint Rosalia Church and school. I know things have changed but their is an active community center and it's close to Schenely Park and Oakland.

Old 08-12-2012, 01:31 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,810,305 times
Omaha itself leans Democratic.

Omaha City Council - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Last edited by Katarina Witt; 08-12-2012 at 01:31 PM.. Reason: Just because
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh