Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2012, 04:50 AM

7,380 posts, read 15,675,363 times

Advertisements

by the way, if anyone is concerned about the owner of the brewery building's illegal demolition of historic buildings in the complex, there is going to be a rally in front of the building this wednesday at 6:30.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2012, 07:00 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,977,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MathmanMathman View Post
Wow, I never thought of drinking a local beer as being...."green". Al Gore should have mentioned that in "An Inconvenient Truth".
Everything "local" would be more green. A tractor trailer truck gets like 4-6 mpg and it has to deliver that beer that is advertised at all the NASCAR events. Why not just drink something brewed down the street?

Ah well, there is no hope. No one cares about all that. Just look around and I realize I am a minority group, to the point of almost not even existing. It is what it is and will never change.

Anyway those old buildings need to come down. They are too far gone and impeding progress. What the area really needs is a big parking garage. That is the future.

Old 08-06-2012, 07:29 AM

i don't know if you're serious or not hcurtis, but no matter what you or anyone else thinks should be on that lot, those buildings were torn down illegally. if the owners want to tear stuff down they need to get permits.

Last edited by groar; 08-06-2012 at 07:38 AM..

Old 08-06-2012, 07:45 AM

14,353 posts, read 17,030,476 times
I talked about this with my wife, as her architecture firm was involved in some of the initial consultation on the site's historic status.

They were attempting to convince the city the whole site didn't warrant historic status, just some of the buildings. There are many warehouses further back in the site which were built as recently as the 1970s, which completely typical of industrial architecture from that time - e.g., rusty metal boxes with no windows. Her assumption is Collier demolished some of these.

That said, of course they did not go through the proper regulatory structure to do so.

Old 08-06-2012, 07:45 AM
gg

Quote:
Originally Posted by groar View Post
i don't know if you're serious or not hcurtis, but no matter what you or anyone else thinks should be on that lot, those buildings were torn down illegally. if the owners want to tear stuff down they need to get permits.
Unlike most all people on here, I have actually looked at those buildings closely. They are very dangerous to actually stand next to. Bricks falling from the huge chimneys and a host of other issues. It isn't safe for them to be standing.

Good luck dreaming about them being "saved". The damage was done when Pittsburgh stopped supporting the local company. Now Pittsburgh wants to save the shell? What about the jobs? Tax revenue? Pittsburgh created the mess the buildings are in. Don't forget that part of all this.

Old 08-06-2012, 07:50 AM

10,227 posts, read 16,821,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
Unlike most all people on here, I have actually looked at those buildings closely. They are very dangerous to actually stand next to. Bricks falling from the huge chimneys and a host of other issues. It isn't safe for them to be standing.

Good luck dreaming about them being "saved". The damage was done when Pittsburgh stopped supporting the local company. Now Pittsburgh wants to save the shell? What about the jobs? Tax revenue? Pittsburgh created the mess the buildings are in. Don't forget that part of all this.
that's just silly

Old 08-06-2012, 07:57 AM
gg

Quote:
Originally Posted by pman View Post
that's just silly
Explain the bricks all over the place on the ground around the backside of those buildings and tell me again it is silly. Have a walk around that place. Have you? Not driving by in some car and saying, oh look at the cool old buildings. I am talking about looking at them. I doubt ANYONE on here has actually STOPPED their cars and really looked at the buildings. Driving by something is not looking at them for what they really are.

Old 08-06-2012, 08:03 AM

10,227 posts, read 16,821,015 times
Quote:
Explain the bricks all over the place on the ground around the backside of those buildings and tell me again it is silly. Have a walk around that place. Have you? Not driving by in some car and saying, oh look at the cool old buildings. I am talking about looking at them. I doubt ANYONE on here has actually STOPPED their cars and really looked at the buildings. Driving by something is not looking at them for what they really are.
there's a restaurant on site, when did Iron city run a good restaurant? church brew works seems to be doing ok. the fact is, Iron city ran a bad business. it's easy to throw a few bricks on the ground and claim it's falling down.

Old 08-06-2012, 09:07 AM

Quote:

what part of ILLEGAL do you not understand?

if the buildings were unsafe, they should have gotten permission from the city to demolish them. are you an anarchist?

i have not examined the buildings myself but a friend of mine who is a preservationist has, in great detail. she verified that at least some of the buildings that were demolished *were* historic as well. they were not all warehouses from the 70s. they're also leaving giant piles of demolition rubble leaning on other historic buildings right now.

Old 08-06-2012, 11:29 AM

357 posts, read 888,861 times
Quote:
??? My recollection is that part of the trouble is that the brewery didn't pay their water bill, then they wanted a government handout to get out of the trouble. PWSA sued them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh