Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2012, 06:41 AM

20,273 posts, read 33,018,179 times

Advertisements

The focus is about a community group which was recently formed to help take care of the steps, but it has a lot of interesting information about the steps in general:

Community group takes steps to safeguard stairways in Pittsburgh - Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

By the way, this is about the founder of the group and her vision:

Quote:
Ms. Flott, a Virginia native, graduated from Duquesne University in theater arts and is now a barista at Tazza d'Oro in Highland Park. She said a long-term goal is to create art on and around the steps. "I used to sit with friends on the Ella Street steps in Bloomfield, and people left art there. Someone painted 'TRY' on every step. It was like a community art project." Mr. Lake said they have met with artists, designers and architects "to put together improvement plans including public art, signage" and other aesthetic features. "The first thing is to get them clean and safe," Ms. Flott said.
Some interesting meta-themes there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2012, 08:25 AM

2,236 posts, read 2,976,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
The focus is about a community group which was recently formed to help take care of the steps, but it has a lot of interesting information about the steps in general:

Community group takes steps to safeguard stairways in Pittsburgh - Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

By the way, this is about the founder of the group and her vision:

Some interesting meta-themes there.

Brian,

Wasn't it once mentioned that Pittsburgh has the most public stairways in the country/world? If so, painting the steps would definitely add to their appeal and attraction. I can envision a talented artist painting the face of each step of the stairway so as a person begins to ascend the total scene is viewed.

Old 07-16-2012, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eccotecc View Post
Wasn't it once mentioned that Pittsburgh has the most public stairways in the country/world?
I don't know how official it is, but I don't think that claim has been seriously challenged as yet. I don't think it is likely any other city in the United States has anything close to as many, but I don't know about internationally.

Quote:
If so, painting the steps would definitely add to their appeal and attraction. I can envision a talented artist painting the face of each step of the stairway so as a person begins to ascend the total scene is viewed.
Cool idea!

Generally, I love the notion of combining community-art and the steps. I'm imagining a crowd-sourced interactive map (available by Internet, phone app, and maybe on paper) that guides you to different step/art combinations based on your interests ("longest steps", "steps with statue projects", "steps with best city views", "steps with religious art", and so on). People could make it a goal to "collect" different sets of steps, it could become something featured in visitor's guides, and so on.

Old 07-16-2012, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
I don't know how official it is, but I don't think that claim has been seriously challenged as yet. I don't think it is likely any other city in the United States has anything close to as many, but I don't know about internationally.

Cool idea!

Generally, I love the notion of combining community-art and the steps. I'm imagining a crowd-sourced interactive map (available by Internet, phone app, and maybe on paper) that guides you to different step/art combinations based on your interests ("longest steps", "steps with statue projects", "steps with best city views", "steps with religious art", and so on). People could make it a goal to "collect" different sets of steps, it could become something featured in visitor's guides, and so on.

Brian,

With a little brainstorming, the possibilities seem endless. Pittsburgh could challenge Portland to a step painting contest.

Brian, you could start a magazine titled, Steps in the Right Direction.

Old 07-16-2012, 09:07 AM

2,290 posts, read 3,827,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eccotecc View Post
Brian, you could start a magazine titled, Steps in the Right Direction.
Agreed.

Old 07-16-2012, 09:12 AM

Actually doing any of that is outside my skill set, but maybe I will see if I can contact Ms. Flott and at least notify her about the existence of this thread, and people can contribute whatever ideas they like.

Edit: I posted something on their Facebook page. Couldn't hurt!

Old 07-16-2012, 04:55 PM

1,273 posts, read 1,639,778 times
When I Knew we were going to be moving here I bought a book "The Steps of Pittsburgh: Portrait of a City" and found it fascinating. I think now that I know the city more I should dig up the book for a second read.

Old 07-16-2012, 06:33 PM

7,541 posts, read 10,260,125 times
The problem is that the vast majority of city steps are in areas that are less hip making the idea of painting them for nothing a bit problematic.

I can't see your hipsters going out to Brookline or Spring Garden or Sheraden to undertake this kind of project for a more traditional working class audience.

I guess it might well work in a limited number of areas like the Bloomfield steps into Skunk Hollow or Polish Hill or down the back of South Oakland.

But that's a lot more limited kind of project.

Old 07-16-2012, 06:47 PM

Quote:
With a microgrant of $1,000 from Awesome Pittsburgh, the fledgling organization will hold its first action day to clean, clear and paint city steps in Troy Hill on Saturday. Anyone can join the effort, which begins at 9:30 a.m. near Cowley-Goettmann Park, where there are two sets of steps. One descends with a view of Downtown, the other is heavily wooded and descends to Spring Garden.
Hipsters are often into blue-collar things (think Pabst Blue Ribbon), because they see an authenticity in them that they find appealing, even as they appropriate them for bohemian purposes. That's been a driving force behind "Rust Belt Chic", and in that sense almost all of Pittsburgh, and particularly its older working-class neighborhoods, has potential for hipster appeal.

Of course as some point using "hipster" as a framing device becomes more trouble than it is worth. But I wouldn't discount how far these arts-oriented young people might roam.

Old 07-16-2012, 07:03 PM

Brian,

What about this idea? People could adopt a step. Contribute a small amount of money for its upkeep and maintenance.

It could become...are you ready for this????...their step child.

I really think the idea is a great community project that can bring people together and also provide a venue for people to display their civic pride.

I have a number of ideas racing through my mind.

Last edited by eccotecc; 07-16-2012 at 07:14 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh