Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2012, 03:27 PM

6,358 posts, read 5,059,604 times

Advertisements

i know LRT vs. heavy rail is a fiery topic now in toronto. but in that city, they can get all the federal funds they want - and they usually blow a lot of it. pittsburgh, like many other mid-sized US cities, doesnt have that gravy train.

i actually prefer subways anywhere. LRTs can be a hassle if there is a problem on the road like an auto accident. plus they are more expensive to maintain over the decades, are generally slower, have less user capacity, etc. but they are cheaper in initial construction cost.

thats why i brought that up - in Uptown, an LRT path can be laid on one of those desolate streets, possibly Our Way, parallel to Fifth, then at some point, crossing Fifth and then running along Watson street. i dont know if thats possible since those are glorified allies, basically (width requirements, etc.) but imagine an LRT line just a block from Forbes/Fifth, parallel to both, but not impeding those major arteries.

thats a simplistic concept, of course, as i sit here in my boxers just thinking it up off the top of my head. but something like that would make it a quaint village-type place rarely seen in north america.

you really just cant throw in a tunnel (our geology isnt the same as torontos - plus, theyre flat). a lot of buildings in uptown might have vaults (basements) that extend to the curb line. a survey would need to be done to determine what will be found once they do start breaking the ground open. the Pgh water and sewer authority will have to be totally involved to replace/relocate lines ,which would be a whole other aspect above the actual subway construction.

i can only think the notion of a subway or LRT would be scoffed at, mathman, but then again i remember they scoffed at Sophie Masloff when she first suggested a new stadium.....

what does it take to get public interest in that? in Virginia, the public PUSHED for a metro rail extension (the 'silver line') when it was dead in the water. they would NOT let that thing die when lots of politicos wanted it to go away because of its expense, and the requirement of having to deal with other public agencies (VA hates MD who hates DC who hates everyone). but they are getting it - because thats how powerful public pressure can be.

Pittsburgh needs to take a long look at how that neighborhood is shaping up. it speaks volumes about this place. people from other cities think this place is a dump because they look up one way and see the decay in uptown, and another because of drab, dead after 5pm downtown. i remember being horrified listening to the sports guys on WJFK in VA years ago - one of them came to pgh for the weekend for some sports event and he joked "man, pittsburgh is a hole!" probably having seen, well, the Hill and Uptown and not much else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2012, 09:09 AM

10,227 posts, read 16,830,067 times
I actually agree with you szug, lrt might be the way to go...and you can tunnel where necessary not unlike the current T (or subway surface trolley. taking right of way on one of those streets is an excellent idea.
this article is interesting. you always hear "it'd be cheaper to tear it down and rebuild) but it highlight that's not actually true, at least not to rebuild in kind
Quote:
Once they replaced the roof and cleaned the place out, they discovered plaster friezes in the archways and carved motifs in the entrance hall behind drop ceilings and drywall of a 1980s commercial renovation....The 110,000-square-foot building at 1800 Fifth Ave. was a high school from 1894 to 1976. Built in the Romanesque-Gothic Revival style, it cost $400,000 to build, $40 million in today's dollars. Mr. Steiner and Mr. Hill, as Impakt Development Inc., have invested more than $10 million, with historic tax credits of 20 percent, to bring it back to life...
Read more: Renovated lofts stay true to Uptown history - Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Old 07-21-2012, 06:48 PM

6,358 posts, read 5,059,604 times
pman, you used the term "in kind".....hmmm. im guessing, probably correctly, as to what your area of employment is. chk your email later - want to throw something at you about the topic of LRT in uptown. i think others would be bored with it, hence the email.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh