Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2012, 02:06 PM

288 posts, read 511,289 times

Advertisements

Where can you live on the north shore that is quick to downtown via bus, bike, or t, is relatively safe, has nice houses for sale, and isn't outrageously expensive?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2012, 03:37 PM

7,541 posts, read 10,256,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockthecasbah121 View Post
Where can you live on the north shore that is quick to downtown via bus, bike, or t, is relatively safe, has nice houses for sale, and isn't outrageously expensive?

"outrageously expensive" is of course a subjective assessment.

But if you want to get less expensive properties on the near North Side (the "north shore" is really just the part in between the interstate and the river), you'd probably be more well advised to go up to Fineview, Troy Hill or Spring Hill- working class kind of areas, many with views and some decent looking houses in each section.

The prices are a lot higher in Deutschtown and the central North Side.

Old 06-03-2012, 04:41 PM

14,352 posts, read 17,017,204 times
The "North shore" is a fake term to describe the area of the north side between the highways and the river. Minus one or two houses which somehow remain in Schweitzer Lock, there are no single-family residences left. IIRC, there are only around 200 residents - most of which live in the "Morgan at North Shore" apartments. IIRC, these are fairly pricey

Although not considered part of the North Shore by the city, Heinz Lofts (high-end rentals) is essentially part of the North Shore, as is Washington's Landing (real houses, but sale price are around 300,000).

The real north side is to the north of the highways. This area has great homes if you want an old Victorian rowhouse, but keep in mind you either pay top dollar, or else get a real fixer upper. Overall, expect to pay at least $150,000 to get a livable fixer-upper in the more affordable, non-ghetto sections. A brief survey.

Allegheny West - Highly gentrified, and tiny (essentially four blocks). Few things go on the market, and virtually nothing for under $200,000. If you see something cheaper, it's probably a total gut job. Also, the "commercial district" is a bit lacking, besides an okay Thai restaurant.

Central Northside - One portion, the Mexican War Streets, is as gentrified as Allegheny West, although the housing wasn't quite as large, so it's still a bit more affordable. The wave of gentrification is lapping northward however, so you can find some fixer-uppers which are comparably affordable.

East Allegheny - Although still officially considered one neighborhood, it's essentially two now due to highway construction. The eastern half is an unsafe, blighted area. The western half is fast gentrifying, but still a bit more affordable than the two neighborhoods above, if you can find the right has. Has a higher proportion of uglies to weed through as well however.

Manchester - Manchester has some of the best housing stock in the Northside, but is often overlooked, because it's an overwhelmingly black neighborhood. It doesn't live up to its bad reputation in terms of safety - the southern portions are now gritty, but essentially safe, while the northern parts are still dicey. I wouldn't buy anything north of Liverpool.

California-Kirkbride - The worst off of the "flats neighborhoods." Most of it is missing due to overeager destruction of distressed properties in the last 30 years. Some of what's left is high quality, but the neighborhood as a whole is essentially broken into three sections now. Fairly unsafe as well.

There's also Allegheny Center, in the middle of the park. There's a few housing options here, including one co-op, but I don't know much about them.

Old 06-03-2012, 04:51 PM

20,273 posts, read 33,009,142 times
Although not incredibly cheap anymore, I personally think the first three neighborhoods on eschaton's list are well worth the price.

Old 06-03-2012, 06:45 PM

288 posts, read 511,289 times
What is Perry South and fineview like?

Central North Side Real Estate - 2213 FEDERAL, Central North Side, PA, 15214

This house looks quite nice, but I figured with its price the neighborhood must be pretty bad.

This is another house that sort of represents the type of housing I'm interested in:
Central North Side Real Estate - 710 ARMANDALE STREET, Central North Side, PA, 15212

I lived in Allegheny Center two summers ago. Two people on a sunday afternoon in Deustchtown tried to sell me crack.

Old 06-03-2012, 06:51 PM

11,086 posts, read 8,541,469 times
If you don't mind the steep freaking hills in Fineview, there are some terrific vistas.

Fineview used to have a really cool incline with a curve that was shut down with the advent of streetcars. Too bad they can't put that back again.

Nunnery Hill Incline - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 06-03-2012, 07:19 PM

7,541 posts, read 10,256,408 times
Quote:
What is Perry South and fineview like?
This house looks quite nice, but I figured with its price the neighborhood must be pretty bad.

This is another house that sort of represents the type of housing I'm interested in:

I lived in Allegheny Center two summers ago. Two people on a sunday afternoon in Deustchtown tried to sell me crack.

The Federal St. Extension is really more in Perry South, and on a very steep hill. The bus doesn't go up there, you'll have to go over to Perrysville Ave.

Perry South really isn't so great, and neither is the Armandale, both addresses look like they are in Hoodtown/Central North Side, outside of the safer Mexican War Street areas.
Pittsburgh Crime Map - Google Maps

Old 06-03-2012, 08:48 PM

Quote:
What is Perry South and Fineview like?
Perry South is certainly on its way downhill. Basically as the inner portions of the Northside have been gentrified, a lot of poor people (and sadly, some troublemakers too) have been pushed into the neighborhood (the same thing is going on in Marshall-Shadeland). That said, the housing was built to very high standards originally, and you can get incredibly good deals on nice houses which aren't falling apart. My understanding is there are some portions of the neighborhood which have remained stable (dunno which they are) as well. If you are planning on holding a house for a decade plus, and want to bet the waves of gentrification will eventually lap there, it may be a good investment. That said, you'd probably get burned.

Fineview is a different story. Although also poor, racially mixed, and near projects, it has stabilized over the last decade. The housing stock is of lower quality, however (although less is falling apart).

Quote:
East Ohio Street isn't really representative of the residential portion of Deutschtown, which is getting quite nice (particularly the southern portion). The people who hang out there all day are by and large not locals, but from other parts of the Northside. There's a move afoot to fix up a lot of the distressed properties this year, which should have positive effects.

Old 06-03-2012, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Like_Spam View Post
Perry South really isn't so great, and neither is the Armandale, both addresses look like they are in Hoodtown/Central North Side, outside of the safer Mexican War Street areas.
Pittsburgh Crime Map - Google Maps
My understanding is the gentrification in "Hoodtown" is spreading to the northwest, with many blocks of Buena Vista pretty far up now majority white. So I wouldn't be scared to like on Armandale. That block might be a bit sketchy, but it's sure to be completely yuppified by the end of the decade. Buying something over by Arch Street, on the other hand, would be pretty dicey.

Old 06-03-2012, 10:15 PM

1,901 posts, read 4,378,290 times
Aviod Perry South (aka Perry Hilltop)! It was/is the murder capitol of the Northside from 1997 until now. There are three locally notorious majority black rival street gangs that have claimed turf in Perry South for most of the past two decades, and so a majority of the neighborhood is drug ridden, in bad shape and unsafe... Its very probable that Perry Hilltop will be in the same slump shape for awhile too! Recently there was a homicde on North Charles Street & Struass Street; the end of the turf claimed by a set of the Tre Eights & the begging of the North Charles Street Crips turf. Bottom line Perry South is a ghetto! Although saftey is relative, if you are a law-obiding white citizen (like most Pittsburgh City Data Forum members) your're likely not gunna' find trouble in Perry Hilltop, but I still say its not worth it. On the otherhand Fineview (excluding the Allegheny Dwellings projects) is fine-no pun intended. Even the streets near the 'jectz aren't bad. So I also ok it...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh